Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
AFAIK it's still in effect - ie, resorts & convention center properties 4pm is based on availability (SPG policy is the same). Rest are required to offer it.

Cheers.
Yes, I know that, but the question is are properties required to be labeled as such still? Or can anyone claim to be a convention center or resort and not deliver the benefit?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:19 am

Courtyard Alexandria Old Town/Southwest (Northern VA), asked for late checkout, denied for availability, late Sept.

Residence Inn Foggy Bottom, asked for 3 PM, was told I could only have 12 noon, late October.

Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, no problem, was even told to get my card re-coded before I left in the morning as it wouldn't work after 12 noon, late Oct.

Washington Marriott Metro Center, and JW twice, they asked me at check in if I needed late checkout. All in the last month.

Washington Marriott Marquis, they didn't ask, I didn't need.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, I know that, but the question is are properties required to be labeled as such still? Or can anyone claim to be a convention center or resort and not deliver the benefit?
There are (currently) 7 MR convention center properties and 209 resort properties and they can be found here:

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-searc...center.resort/

Note that they don't all have the word(s) "resort" or "convention center" in their property names, so it's best to check.

Also, the late check-out benefit is excluded for "resort and convention hotels" so I'm not sure how the small group of "conference center" hotels fits in here.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Dec 28, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I would bet dollars to donuts that every FS and above has at least one ballroom and is capable and does hold a convention of sorts from time to time giving fodder for a weaselly GM to try & wiggle out if they really wanted to...
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
My post was in response to Roger (although I see he also replied to your post with a different response), which was in response to jjesq (who then followed up on my post), which was referring to the Singer Island Palm Beach Marriott.
Thanks for the clarification.

My Marriott Gold Elite was a status match from my SPG Gold status after Marriott bought Starwood. I am pretty new to Marriott.

I have so far stayed 3 times in a Marriott branded hotel in the past 3 months and have found the Gold Elite really meant nothing other than the bonus points and a different an Elite door key.

One time I really like a late check out and the other two times I didn't really need late check out but asked anyway to see the results. In all three times, I was flatly refused. The receptionist acknowledged my Gold Elite status but other than that, he/she didn't offer anything else but I also didn't specifically ask for other than the late check out.

I think that I'd just go back to SPG as my first choice.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Clipper801

My Marriott Gold Elite was a status match from my SPG Gold status after Marriott bought Starwood. I am pretty new to Marriott.

I have so far stayed 3 times in a Marriott branded hotel in the past 3 months and have found the Gold Elite really meant nothing other than the bonus points and a different an Elite door key.

One time I really like a late check out and the other two times I didn't really need late check out but asked anyway to see the results. In all three times, I was flatly refused. The receptionist acknowledged my Gold Elite status but other than that, he/she didn't offer anything else but I also didn't specifically ask for other than the late check out.
Which properties? If they were full-service & had an exec lounge, your Gold status would give you access to the lounge, or free brekkie if there was no lounge or if the lounge was closed (resorts excluded). That is something you would not get as a Gold at SPG. If they weren't full service, then elite bennies might not come into play too much.

Also, please list the properties so we know which ones are not complying with the 4pm check-out policy. There shouldn't be a refusal (resorts & convention centers excluded).

Cheers.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which properties? If they were full-service & had an exec lounge, your Gold status would give you access to the lounge, or free brekkie if there was no lounge or if the lounge was closed (resorts excluded). That is something you would not get as a Gold at SPG. If they weren't full service, then elite bennies might not come into play too much.

Also, please list the properties so we know which ones are not complying with the 4pm check-out policy. There shouldn't be a refusal (resorts & convention centers excluded).

Cheers.
All 3 times were at the TownePlace Suites, twice at Buffalo NY and once at Grove City PA. TownePlace Suites is a "lower end" Marriott similar to Residence Inn but they were the only Marriott branded hotels available in the area. I admit that I have selected TownePlace over others in the area because of the Gold Elite status, thinking I may get a little bit more for free than at one where I have no status.

I did not get late check out, room upgrade and upgraded Internet access on all 3 occasions. I booked directly on the Marriott.com site. The hotel did not miss my Gold Elite status at check-in as I was given a "special" Elite room key.

Breakfast was included in my room rate.

I agree that SPG Gold is often a "hit and miss" too, very much depending on the management at the particular property.

Radisson Club Carlson is the worst when individual property has the option not to participate in the programme!

I agree that SPG Gold is often "hit and miss" too
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Clipper801
All 3 times were at the TownePlace Suites, twice at Buffalo NY and once at Grove City PA. TownePlace Suites is a "lower end" Marriott similar to Residence Inn but they were the only Marriott branded hotels available in the area. I admit that I have selected TownePlace over others in the area because of the Gold Elite status, thinking I may get a little bit more for free than at one where I have no status.

I did not get late check out, room upgrade and upgraded Internet access on all 3 occasions. I booked directly on the Marriott.com site. The hotel did not miss my Gold Elite status at check-in as I was given a "special" Elite room key.

Breakfast was included in my room rate.
Late checkout should have been granted based on your status, but other than that elite benefits (in general) are pretty thin at the lower end brands. At both TP and RI breakfast is included in everybody's room rates, and upgrades are usually a meaningless concept (though every now and then I've gotten one).

For internet, if the hotel offers multiple tiers (not all do) then as Gold or Plat you should be able to select the higher tier when signing on. I've had 99% success with this (the exception being the Ren LHR, where I was too tired to figure it out).
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Marriott Hua Hin resort, asked for late check out, was told i could have only 12pm. (1st day of 2017)

Fine.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I'm at the Hollywood beach Marriott . I requested a late checkout and was told the hotel was full and I would have to ask the day of check out. I explained that this was a perk of platinum and was told the hotel was full and I would have to ask the day of checkout. I asked if he had something other than that canned response to which he replied no .....
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Ceres
I'm at the Hollywood beach Marriott . I requested a late checkout and was told the hotel was full and I would have to ask the day of check out. I explained that this was a perk of platinum and was told the hotel was full and I would have to ask the day of checkout. I asked if he had something other than that canned response to which he replied no .....
I'm sure the FDC would be chastised if he suggested speaking with a manager, but you should have been able to ask for one. If they are able to dodge delivering benefit by putting you off then they win. If you choose to escalate it with MR and it appears on their property review, you win. It's a shame doing what's right requires some form of intimidation.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'm sure the FDC would be chastised if he suggested speaking with a manager, but you should have been able to ask for one. If they are able to dodge delivering benefit by putting you off then they win. If you choose to escalate it with MR and it appears on their property review, you win. It's a shame doing what's right requires some form of intimidation.
I am going to take it up with the manager, any suggestions on how to phrase it without sounding like DYKIA ?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
If they want to weasel properly, technically shouldn't they be saying they are full on the day of checkout? The fact that they're full today really isn't relevant to getting a late checkout later.

As far as how to phrase it, seems the advice earlier was tell, don't ask and make it clear that you are familiar with the benefit and that it is guaranteed, although kinda sounds like you already did that. If the late checkout is important to you, you probably want to resolve it today and not wait until the day of checkout.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I am going to take it up with the manager, any suggestions on how to phrase it without sounding like DYKIA ?
Bring a printout of the benefit from the website.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just cover the details of the conversation and let them know you understand the late check-out is a program benefit (don't even use the word guaranteed). If the manager knows they program they should pony up the benefit or try to weasel out of it. Don't argue, just escalate with MR and keep notes with names, dates, and times you talk with people (both at the property and MR).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.