Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana - asked for 1pm checkout, granted without hesitation
After some morning meetings, I returned to my hotel room around 11:30am with a take-out lunch. Since my flight was delayed, I now had no plans to hurry up, maybe take a nap, and I would check-out at 1pm.

The nap didn't happen (got caught up watching a movie on HBO), but around 12:20pm, I get a knock on the door. The person identified himself as Guest Services.

GS: "Are you still using your room?"
Me: "There should be in the note saying I have a 1pm check out."
GS: "Okay. Please let us know if you need more time."
Me:

At 1pm, I called the front desk to check-out, and I also noted that I didn't appreciate being disturbed. The FDC apologized and said that shouldn't have happened.

Besides that, I simply wouldn't recommend this hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Often CSRs will make up rules to support what the property is saying. That's less work for them if you just go away. Should you run into this again, do escalate with MR. Statements like guaranteed subject to availability says nothing. I'll bet some consultant billed by the word for writing the T&Cs,
That poster tried twice, and one of those responses claims to be from a Supervisor. Is it okay for Supervisors to make up rules as well? How many follow-ups should someone need to get to the "real" policy?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I said this from day one, if they don't clarify whose option "as late as 4pm" belongs to (guest or hotel), these fights are going to continue from here to eternity. Nice 1/2 assed job, Marriott.

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 12, 2017 at 9:19 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GoPhils
That poster tried twice, and one of those responses claims to be from a Supervisor. Is it okay for Supervisors to make up rules as well? How many follow-ups should someone need to get to the "real" policy?
That's always a judgement call you'll have to make. I had a call about a promo I was missing credit. The CSR I got insisted they would have never made such a promo. I asked for a supervisor and she said she was a supervisor. I then asked for HER supervisor. She went away for several minutes and came back saying she'd just returned from maternity leave and had not caught up with her emails and that, yes, I did qualify for the promo and posted it right away.

It's important that we know the rules and keep on them when they don't follow them. Again, if they can get us to go away just by saying no, that's less work for them.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by GoPhils
This problem was a constant source of frustration at SPG, whose policy is actually worded better. Not only did the hotels not know it but frequently the representatives on the dedicated Platinum line didn't, either. Of course, we always have William over there to get the underperforming properties in line.

Mike
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:11 pm

St. Pete - Clearwater (PIE) FS Marriott 4pm no problem, asked the night before departure since I switched to an evening flight.

A soulless office park FS, no upgrades as they gave all suites to once-a-year meeting organizers & management having a meeting, so I did not expect a battle.

And while many people are congratulating getting PLT status despite being tons of nights short, the lounges continue to deteriorate quickly with just minimal & miserable offerings both morning & evening. INSTANT OATMEAL packages here instead of the real thing!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:42 pm

Courtyard Jacksonville Orange Park

4pm checkout. I asked for late checkout, FD said I was entitled to 4pm checkout if I wanted under MR terms. Hotel was completely full that night - had an issue with no heat in my room and they moved us to the last remaining room.

The late checkout benny has been applied inconsistently in my experience.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:50 am

Used the mobile app last week to ask for late checkout at 4PM at the JW in DC. They mentioned it as I picked up my keys. No problems.

However, this week, at the Marquis in DC, I did the same thing and they didn't mention it. I went down to the FD the next morning and mentioned it, and they said that there is a known problem with the app that sometimes the request doesn't come through. They re-did my keys so they'll work until 4 the day I check out. So, no big deal, but if I hadn't mentioned it, there might have been an issue.

No idea whether the "known problem with the app" is real or not.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Courtyard by Marriott, Bangkok: Asked for 4 PM checkout in Jan. Offered 3 PM. I insisted for 4 PM which was declined. My flight plans changed later so had to checkout at 8 AM
Marriott Tang Plaza, Singapore: Got to SIN at midnight and had a flight at 7 PM next evening, called hotel from Airport to see if they will allow checkout by 4 if I checked in now. No problem.
Residence Inn, San Ignacio, South San Jose: Asked for late checkout (only to see how they respond). Flat decline saying hotel was full. I did not really needed it so didn't argue.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Marriott Bellevue, WA

Confirmed at checkin that checkout was 4PM as per online request.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Residence Inn State College, PA- At check-in, was asked by front desk if I needed late check out, I said I did and agreed to 2 pm. Day of check out, I requested to the front desk 3 pm. The clerk said ok but it would be the latest that was acceptable.

Exited the property at 3:15 pm without any prompting.
This property has to be one of the more generous stateside properties in terms of granting late check-out IME
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Residence Inn State College, PA- At check-in, was asked by front desk if I needed late check out, I said I did and agreed to 2 pm. Day of check out, I requested to the front desk 3 pm. The clerk said ok but it would be the latest that was acceptable.

Exited the property at 3:15 pm without any prompting.
This property has to be one of the more generous stateside properties in terms of granting late check-out IME
HUH? As a SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond, I've been guaranteed 4 pm checkouts for a number of years, although Starwood exempts resorts and convention hotels. IIRC SPG offers the same benefit to lower tier elites, while it is or some will be only 2 pm for some lower tier Hyatt elites.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? As a SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond, I've been guaranteed 4 pm checkouts for a number of years, although Starwood exempts resorts and convention hotels. IIRC SPG offers the same benefit to lower tier elites, while it is or some will be only 2 pm for some lower tier Hyatt elites.
I should have been a bit more clear in my OP. Usually I don't expect late check-outs in RIs, CYs, and FIs. FS and Rens I usually get 4 pm late check out with no issues but for RI/CY/FI, it always seems like they are reluctant, or I have to twist their arm to do so and usually I end up with 1 pm or 2 pm at the latest for those 3.
To get a 3 pm check out at RI, well it was unexpected and it was a pleasant surprise to me.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:53 am

Except for the wording of the benefit expects us to assume 4pm almost everywhere!

I said this long ago, there is going to be operational issues at hotels below the FS level where housekeeping is not as robust and staffed like a FS. Smaller markets and labor pools where they are used to getting in early and going home early. Where large events like college football games or graduations takes over a town and surrounding area a few times a year and no one is in a rush to leave the next day.

I've experienced it over and over with the creative lies before the benefit but now in theory they have no more excuse...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
That is great it worked out. It just shouldn't take a battle each time - for a chain that prides itself on consistency. They have a manual detailing standard procedures - down to the level of the correct way room service is to knock on the door.

Peace & Love to all...
I had to fight them for every other elite benefit during my stay, incl. lounge access, despite being platinum elite. I was out of energy to pursue further. This property is now on my "no-go" list as it just isn't worth the hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.