Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Clipper801
TownePlace Suites is a "resort"?

I am surprised. I would rate it to be in the same ranking as Residence Inn.
TownePlace Suites are supposed to be lower than Residence Inn, although both are extended stay brands.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GoPhils
If they want to weasel properly, technically shouldn't they be saying they are full on the day of checkout? The fact that they're full today really isn't relevant to getting a late checkout later.

As far as how to phrase it, seems the advice earlier was tell, don't ask and make it clear that you are familiar with the benefit and that it is guaranteed, although kinda sounds like you already did that. If the late checkout is important to you, you probably want to resolve it today and not wait until the day of checkout.
Being full isn't grounds for an exception from the late checkout guarantee.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Just for data point....

Went back three times yesterday for the late check out.
1st time was told I needed to check in morning. 2nd time was told I needed to speak to manager but she was busy. 3rd time was told she was gone but the acting manager would call me.... Never happened.

So , I went back back down this morning and asked why they didn't want to honor any of the perks for plats. I explained every time I asked about a late check out, they looked at me like I was from Mars, and that I was never offered an arrival gift and was not given breakfast vouchers since lounge was closed. And asked with a smile if the FDC's were trained to not give anything to elites to save money for the hotel ?

I told the person in charge that I didn't want the $100 but I would like my 500 points and breakfast and she immediately gave me a 4 checkout. I told her 2 was all I needed.

Why hey they make this guarantee like pulling teeth. If anyone else comes here be ready to dig your heels in if you need anything. Other that the FD, (who were polite but deaf the rest of the staff is amazing.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Ceres
Just for data point....

Went back three times yesterday for the late check out.
1st time was told I needed to check in morning. 2nd time was told I needed to speak to manager but she was busy. 3rd time was told she was gone but the acting manager would call me.... Never happened.

So , I went back back down this morning and asked why they didn't want to honor any of the perks for plats. I explained every time I asked about a late check out, they looked at me like I was from Mars, and that I was never offered an arrival gift and was not given breakfast vouchers since lounge was closed. And asked with a smile if the FDC's were trained to not give anything to elites to save money for the hotel ?

I told the person in charge that I didn't want the $100 but I would like my 500 points and breakfast and she immediately gave me a 4 checkout. I told her 2 was all I needed.

Why hey they make this guarantee like pulling teeth. If anyone else comes here be ready to dig your heels in if you need anything. Other that the FD, (who were polite but deaf the rest of the staff is amazing.
This is still the Hollywood Beach Marriott? It would be good to tag the property in follow on posts so they can be found by searches.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Being a silver elite member i had low hopes but asked for a later check out earlier today and was granted 2pm instead of 12pm. Happy about this due to our train was to depart first at 3.15pm.
Hotel was Marriott Copenhagen. Nice stay of three nights.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Princeton Marriott. Request 3PM checkout, got 3PM
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Why hey they make this guarantee like pulling teeth
#1 What the Corporation promises to lure more business in globally, the Franchisee who delivers has to burden the direct cost of.

#2 Marriott purposely does not use direct or unequivocal language in its benefits, nor provides for penalties for most non compliance and provides many, many exclusions based on terms or lists that may or may not be accurate, up-to-date or exist.

#3 A smart, weaselly GM understands 1 & 2 and tells its staff to deny, deny, deny as most will go away and it's cheaper to apologize and make amends to the tiny percentage of guests that take it this far.

Just my view...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
over the last month requested late checkout twice to 2PM the day of checkout at the Marriott IAD and Marriott Marquis San Diego. Both granted without question or hesitation.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Perhaps those who are posting that are wiki-enabled could create and/or edit a wiki w/ properties & results of request for 4pm check-out. This thread already has 500 posts. I can't speak for others, but I'm not going to search through 500 posts to see if a property I'm interested in is honoring the bennie. I would check a wiki though.

Cheers.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Perhaps those who are posting that are wiki-enabled could create and/or edit a wiki w/ properties & results of request for 4pm check-out. This thread already has 500 posts. I can't speak for others, but I'm not going to search through 500 posts to see if a property I'm interested in is honoring the bennie. I would check a wiki though.

Cheers.
Agreed, a wiki would be nice, but the ability to search for a property name will give you a hit and the thread/post title let you focus on late checkout issues. Not all them are posted here.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana - asked for 1pm checkout, granted without hesitation
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I am going to take it up with the manager, any suggestions on how to phrase it without sounding like DYKIA ?
Why are you so worried about sounding like DYKIA? The hotel needs to know who you are. You are a Gold/Platinum Elite with MR and thus entitled to a 4pm late checkout (assuming the property is not one that is carved out of the guarantee).

Why, why, WHY are people making this issue so complicated? The more you worry about sounding like a DYKIA, the easier it is for hotel staff to be weasels. Offending a hotel GM is pretty low on my list of things that worry me.

Here's a suggested script:

Good afternoon, this is (name) in room (number). As a courtesy, I'm calling to advise that I will be taking advantage of my guaranteed late checkout benefit as a (MR Elite status level) and checking out at (time) tomorrow.
That is all you need to say and there is no need to solicit any response. You are not asking, you are telling. If you get any response other than an affirmative "thank you", just repeat the same script above.

If the response is still negative, STAY UNTIL 4PM ANYWAY!

C'mon folks, grow a pair and call the hotel's bluff. They are NOT going to be forcibly removing your belongings from the room before 4pm.

Originally Posted by joshua362
#1 What the Corporation promises to lure more business in globally, the Franchisee who delivers has to burden the direct cost of.

#2 Marriott purposely does not use direct or unequivocal language in its benefits, nor provides for penalties for most non compliance and provides many, many exclusions based on terms or lists that may or may not be accurate, up-to-date or exist.

#3 A smart, weaselly GM understands 1 & 2 and tells its staff to deny, deny, deny as most will go away and it's cheaper to apologize and make amends to the tiny percentage of guests that take it this far.
Precisely.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Everyone else just gets rolled by smart, weaselly GMs!

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 3, 2017 at 4:10 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I like this guy ^^ !!!!

The only problem I see is if you leave the room and the card key doesn't work, you can get jerked around getting back in to shower / retrieve your stuff potentially messing up your travel plans home.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Springhill Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor: Asked for 2:30 PM at 8 AM and got it with no problem ^
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:16 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by Herb687
Why are you so worried about sounding like DYKIA? The hotel needs to know who you are. You are a Gold/Platinum Elite with MR and thus entitled to a 4pm late checkout (assuming the property is not one that is carved out of the guarantee).

Why, why, WHY are people making this issue so complicated? The more you worry about sounding like a DYKIA, the easier it is for hotel staff to be weasels. Offending a hotel GM is pretty low on my list of things that worry me.

Here's a suggested script:

That is all you need to say and there is no need to solicit any response. You are not asking, you are telling. If you get any response other than an affirmative "thank you", just repeat the same script above.

If the response is still negative, STAY UNTIL 4PM ANYWAY!

C'mon folks, grow a pair and call the hotel's bluff. They are NOT going to be forcibly removing your belongings from the room before 4pm.

Precisely.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Everyone else just gets rolled by smart, weaselly GMs!

In the case of the Charlotte Marriott City Centre (Marriott's self-proclaimed test property mind you), they'll have various levels of housekeeping and management start calling you at noon to "ensure that you have a 4PM checkout" and aren't checking out before then...

On a holiday weekend with low occupancy...

Then when you bring it up to them after several days of the same thing (in fairness, I kept extending, but made sure my 4PM checkout was on file each day in case I didn't want to extend), they feign ignorance...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.