Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:09 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Miami airport Marriott. No issues with late check out when asked but didn't use it as I was able to get checked into Marriott biscayne bay early.

Miami Beach winter haven autograph. 230pm check out granted with no issues. This stay did show me the double edge of late checkout. Had specific room type booked and while the hotel was willing to let me check in early the room was occupied by another platinum who had a 4pm checkout so the room wasn't ready until almost 5pm on checkin. The hotel was upfront about this and allowed us to store our suitcases and gave us towels and a place to change so we could walk over to the beach.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:43 pm

I had the same experience today at the Minneapolis Marriott Northwest as NDDomer reported in post #389.

At check-in I asked for 4 pm checkout, and was told that I could only have 1 pm, or could have 4 pm if I wanted to pay for another half day. The FDC insisted that the property was exempt from the late checkout policy because it is a "resort." (Seriously? In suburban Minneapolis?) I told her that I would be placing a call the Guest Services in SLC the first thing Friday morning to lodge a complaint.

Eventually the MOD appeared, admitted that he knew nothing about the front desk (it was Thanksgiving after all), but agreed to give me 4 pm checkout as some sort of courtesy.

This property needs to get its act together. I WILL be reporting this in my response to any post-checkout survey.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
I had the same experience today at the Minneapolis Marriott Northwest as NDDomer reported in post #389.

At check-in I asked for 4 pm checkout, and was told that I could only have 1 pm, or could have 4 pm if I wanted to pay for another half day. The FDC insisted that the property was exempt from the late checkout policy because it is a "resort." (Seriously? In suburban Minneapolis?) I told her that I would be placing a call the Guest Services in SLC the first thing Friday morning to lodge a complaint.

Eventually the MOD appeared, admitted that he knew nothing about the front desk (it was Thanksgiving after all), but agreed to give me 4 pm checkout as some sort of courtesy.

This property needs to get its act together. I WILL be reporting this in my response to any post-checkout survey.
Please report it to Marriott. The other post was way back on November 1st. The property has had lots of time to verify the rules and properly train their staff. Instead, it sounds like they've all been trained to lie and make up stuff to support their management's rogue behavior.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Yes, please do report this incident to MR. Ignoring program benefits and then trying to sell the same thing should be dealt with severely. And then offering the benefit as a courtesy (or my favorite, one-time exception) is a real laugh.

If MR does anything about it and it gets around maybe more properties will get in line.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:25 pm

My keys did work past noon today. I was somewhat surprised that they got that part right.

But to make things worse:
  • Housekeeping entered the room in our absence despite the "Privacy Please" hang tag being out at the time.
  • It took 15 minutes to checkout, because there was literally no one at the property who knew how to process an e-gift card at a FS property.
  • FDC at checkout claimed that the property is exempt from 4 pm checkout because it is a convention property. (Remember, yesterday's FDC claimed it was exempt because it was a resort.)

All of these events will be reported.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 7:03 pm

My keys did work past noon today. I was somewhat surprised that they got that part right.

But to make things worse:
  • Housekeeping entered the room in our absence despite the "Privacy Please" hang tag being out at the time.
  • It took 15 minutes to checkout, because there was literally no one at the property who knew how to process an e-gift card at a FS property.
  • FDC at checkout claimed that the property is exempt from 4 pm checkout because it is a convention property. (Remember, yesterday's FDC claimed it was exempt because it was a resort.)

All of these events will be reported.
I've found that during my late checkouts (4pm) housekeeping will knock well before checkout. Sometimes it's once, other times it's more frequent to the point of annoyance (every 30 mins asking me if I'm checking out).
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sig05
I've found that during my late checkouts (4pm) housekeeping will knock well before checkout. Sometimes it's once, other times it's more frequent to the point of annoyance (every 30 mins asking me if I'm checking out).
A trick I have used many times is to write a note stating the time you expect to leave and fold it to fit in the card slot. As long as no one throws it away, they at least have to touch it to enter the room. The only issue if they are able to read the note (I don't write it in all possible languages like we had to do for large trash at work).
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:12 pm

Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun

Requested and received 4PM check-out, no trouble at all (upgraded as well).
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by overshare
NY EDITION: requested at check-in 11/14/16; denied before I could finish the word "late". [And my room wasn't ready for 3 hours after my arrival (and posted) check-in time of 1500.]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Report it to Marriott.
And stay until 1600 anyway!

I've had much better luck telling Starfraud properties I will be checking out late than asking them if I may.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:08 pm

After collecting my eGift card from me but posting it as "cash" (since no one knew how to process it), the property decided to hit my Amex for the amount remaining on the eGift card three days after I checked out. And yes, they still have my eGift card.)

After leaving two voicemails for the property's accounting department and receiving no response after 24 hours, I opened a claim with Marriott Guest Services regarding all of the issues I previously detailed.

The Guest Services rep. asked me what sort of compensation I was looking for. I asked an immediate refund of the excess amount billed to my Amex, and 15k points since it is a Level 3 property. FWIW, the rep. indicated he believed my request was quite reasonable.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:45 am

I received the following email this morning from someone at the property who did not provide a title:

Good Afternoon UpgradeMe (It was morning),

I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know of the issues you had experienced during your stay with us a couple of weeks ago. I sincerely apologize for the e-certificate issue and can assure you that the $62.XX has been refunded to your account and should reflect in just a few business days. As far as the late check-out is concerned, XXXXXX is correct in stating that 4pm check-outs for Gold and Platinum guests is based on availability at Resort and Convention hotels. This property does fall under the latter (the policy can be found in Marriot Rewards’ Terms and Conditions which I screenshotted below)(but she claimed it was a resort). However, as you stated, the hotel was at low occupancy and I feel that we should have been able to grant your request without hesitation and I will address that with my staff so that we don’t have any issue(s) moving forward.

As far as the points you requested, I do apologize but I am not able to honor your request of 15,000 points for these issues. I am happy to reimburse you for any overdraft fees (if any) that you may have incurred (it was an Amex so no overdraft) due to the erroneous charge on your account however at this point I do consider this matter closed.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your time,

I then called Marriott Customer Care again, indicating that I believed the above response was inadequate. I also confirmed that this property is not listed as a convention hotel.

I also replied to the email, pointing out its errors and repeating my request for compensation. I then received the following from the GM:

Dear UpgradeMe,

I was very sorry to hear that you had so many issues during your stay here at the Minneapolis Marriott Northwest. I completely understand why you were frustrated with the service that you received. I want to assure you that we take Guest Service very seriously and we are following-up on the situation so that it doesn't happen again.

I also want to thank you for bringing the situation to our attention. While we are disappointed that the guest service you received was inadequate, you have given us an opportunity to improve and make our service staff the very best that we can be.

Per you request we will be adding the additional points of 5,000 points.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me directly.

I then replied to the GM. Only at that point did he offer 15k points.

I understand your frustration with the numerous issue that occurred. I do want to extend my sincere apology, I feel that you’re (sic) asking for 15,000 points is fair for all of these troubles along with taking time out of your busy day to have to continue to resolve this issue.

I will be placing 15,000 points on to your account. If you have any further request please reach out to me directly as I am responsible for these issues, being the General Manager.

Again, Please accept my sincere apology.

I am now waiting for those points to post.

And much luck to the next Elite who asks for 4 pm checkout at this property.

Last edited by UpgradeMe; Dec 2, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received the following email this morning from someone at the property who did not provide a title:

Good Afternoon UpgradeMe [b](It was morning)[b/],

I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know of the issues you had experienced during your stay with us a couple of weeks ago. I sincerely apologize for the e-certificate issue and can assure you that the $62.XX has been refunded to your account and should reflect in just a few business days. As far as the late check-out is concerned, XXXXXX is correct in stating that 4pm check-outs for Gold and Platinum guests is based on availability at Resort and Convention hotels. This property does fall under the latter (the policy can be found in Marriot Rewards’ Terms and Conditions which I screenshotted below)(but she claimed it was a resort). However, as you stated, the hotel was at low occupancy and I feel that we should have been able to grant your request without hesitation and I will address that with my staff so that we don’t have any issue(s) moving forward.

As far as the points you requested, I do apologize but I am not able to honor your request of 15,000 points for these issues. I am happy to reimburse you for any overdraft fees (if any) that you may have incurred (it was an Amex so no overdraft) due to the erroneous charge on your account however at this point I do consider this matter closed.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your time,

I then called Marriott Customer Care again, indicating that I believed the above response was inadequate. I also confirmed that this property is not listed as a convention hotel.

I also replied to the email, pointing out its errors and repeating my request for compensation. I then received the following from the GM:

Dear UpgradeMe,

I was very sorry to hear that you had so many issues during your stay here at the Minneapolis Marriott Northwest. I completely understand why you were frustrated with the service that you received. I want to assure you that we take Guest Service very seriously and we are following-up on the situation so that it doesn't happen again.

I also want to thank you for bringing the situation to our attention. While we are disappointed that the guest service you received was inadequate, you have given us an opportunity to improve and make our service staff the very best that we can be.

Per you request we will be adding the additional points of 5,000 points.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me directly.

I then replied to the GM. Only at that point did he offer 15k points.

I understand your frustration with the numerous issue that occurred. I do want to extend my sincere apology, I feel that you’re (sic) asking for 15,000 points is fair for all of these troubles along with taking time out of your busy day to have to continue to resolve this issue.

I will be placing 15,000 points on to your account. If you have any further request please reach out to me directly as I am responsible for these issues, being the General Manager.

Again, Please accept my sincere apology.

I am now waiting for those points to post.

Congrats getting it worked out. Sometimes I wonder how GMs keep up with the little details. I had reported an issue elsewhere and was promised points for a free night... Only thing is they posted points for a Cat 1. I'm sure he was thinking I'd go away. When I pointed out they were a Cat 4 and more points were appropriate, the sloughed it off as a mistake and posted the additional points. No wonder CSRs do the same thing...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Renaissance 57 in New York City. No problem at all with late check out ^
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Courtyard Mumbai Airport...no problem with 4 PM late check out ^
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Again: don't ask. Tell. And stay until 4pm anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.