Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by doenutt
Is there a significant difference going to St Regis Maldives as a Titanium member vs a Platinum? I think both get free breakfast, wondering if there's an advantage for me to go this year as a Titanium vs going next year as a Plat
You would get to go a year earlier.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson
You would get to go a year earlier.
True but other than that?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Thank you!
We'll arrive on Sunday... Can't really decide if I should prebook and restaurants, and if, which and at what time... Any suggestions?
Both visits we loved Orientale and ate there as much as possible!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by gbenrus25
Looks like they have a promo of free seaplane transfers for 6 nights or more stays in September. Anyone think that's worth it?
Why would saving ~$1400++ not be worth it? If that timing works for you and the weather during that season is agreeable with you as well then I would go for it.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:16 am

Is the $300 for $350 of F&B credit worth it without doing decanter?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Dn10
Is the $300 for $350 of F&B credit worth it without doing decanter?
I guess that depends on how many nights you are staying. But I would say you will not get through a dinner for much less than 150 USD per person. Then lunches, a few drinks at the bar. 350 goes pretty quickly for two.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It really depends on how much you consume. My gf and I aren’t big eaters, we shared starter, main course and dessert at Orientale yesterday. With two bottles of sparkling water (they forgot the glass of wine I had ordered), it came out to 180$ or so including taxes and service charge.

And to be honest, I wasn’t really hungry because of my jet lag and the heat.
For us it wouldn’t make sense at all. But YMMV.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:57 pm

Can the special welcome massage for Marriott Bonvoy members be booked in advance or you need to wait until you arrive and see it in your welcome packet?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:54 pm

which is better, overwater suite vs sunset overwater villa?
I have a reservation for sunset overwater villa for 5 nights at this time but seems like I can make another upgrade with small fee, is it worth the change?
According to the map, it seems like there are overwater suite throughout the island, on the side of sunset and side of regular OWV, is that true?

Last edited by Jinkyu Im; Jan 25, 2020 at 2:08 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jinkyu Im
which is better, overwater suite vs sunset overwater villa?
I have a reservation for sunset overwater villa for 5 nights at this time but seems like I can make another upgrade with small fee, is it worth the change?
According to the map, it seems like there are overwater suite throughout the island, on the side of sunset and side of regular OWV, is that true?

From just a little upthread..
Originally Posted by meehgz
Writing as someone who has an upcoming trip but who hasn’t been - so others with experience, feel free to chime in. I updated the wiki with a link to the updated resort map PDF another member shared in which you can see where the St Regis Suites are placed. They are located in all three sections of OWVs - inward facing the island (which previous posters and reviewers have said don’t get sun past the morning and therefore their pools stay cold), outward toward the ocean but not sunset (don’t know about these pools), or sunset (good sun, warm pools). The problem with a St Regis Suite is that you don’t get to pay more to decide which one you get like you do with the OWV v SOWV, and there is only one sunset St Regis Suite. That’s why for our upcoming trip, even though I had the points to do a St Regis Suite, I put us in a SOWV for the first five nights to guarantee the warm pool/sun, and then I’ve booked a St Regis Suite for the sixth night just to see it. You can always request the sunset one but they won’t guarantee it for you, and for me the chance of not getting the sunset one despite the request wasn’t worth it.

I assume re snorkeling, the answer would be the same - depends which one you get, and you won’t get to choose.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by meehgz
From just a little upthread..
​​​​​​​Thanks a lot! I guess I used the wrong keyword to search the thread.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just back from our trip. We had booked an Overwater St. Regis Suite and I sent them a million messages asking for room 535 (the sunset one).
Well, in the end, we got room 520, but I think it might just be the best room in the hotel, maybe with the exception of the JJA Estate.

Yes, the pool is cold, but the suite is spacious and super private.
The sunset overwater villas are much closer to another, some of them are clearly visible from
the Whale Bar (538-544 or so).
Most of the regular overwater villas (501-519) are visible from the beach on the north side of the island.
The beach villas on the north side of the island (315-301) have a nice beach, but it’s open to all guests. So again, no privacy, as people can just walk in front of your terrace. 315-309 also face the overwater villas on the other side. No privacy.
When you get further East (305 etc.), you have more privacy, but you get closer to the arrival jetty. You will hear the seaplane noise several times per day and smell the jet fuel.
The overwater villas on the south side, meaning 212-207 (I believe they are all 2 bedroom overwater villas/suites), are clearly visible from the Whale Bar. Once again, you have no privacy.
And finally the beach villas on the south side, 206-201, you have a very small beach, almost none at all. And the water is a bit rocky there.

I think beach villas are much nicer than overwater villas, but because of the issues described above, I think the Overwater St. Regis Suites win. Whichever you get, you’ll have a private or very private room.
And I think privacy is the most important thing in the Maldives. I just love being able to lie on my deck in my birthday suit, or not having to worry about who can see me after taking a shower.

Oh, and the Garden Villas... We stayed in one for a few hours while waiting for the seaplane back. The rooms themselves are very nice, but oh my god, it’s depressing. Please don’t book them. There’s noise and possibly some smell from the restaurants and you feel like your in some sort of shack in the woods. Of course it’s still better than not being in the Maldives, but with upgrades being so cheap, please just book something better (we paid 75$ per night to upgrade from a Garden Villa to an Overwater St. Regis Suite).
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:41 am

Of course it’s still better than not being in the Maldives, but with upgrades being so cheap, please just book something better (we paid 75$ per night to upgrade from a Garden Villa to an Overwater St. Regis Suite).
Will be there in a couple of weeks and we also upgraded to a St Regis Suite for 15k points per night. We've put in a request too for 535 but it seems that based on your assessment any of them will be one the "best" villas on the resort. Were you at least given the option to switch to 535 during your stay or it just wasn't available the entire time?

We happen to have been quoted an outrageous (to me) upgrade fee of $720++ per night to a St Regis Suite back in September and wasn't even going to consider it, so I was extremely thrilled when upgrade pricing on the site dropped exponentially and we were able to snag it at the above rate.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:43 am

They said 535 wasn’t available at all and they also said they couldn’t put me in a beach villa for even one night (which I would have liked to try for comparison).
That said, it was Chinese New Year, and the hotel was probably actually sold out.
But even then it never felt crowded. They’re really doing a great job there. The GM used to work at Laucala.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:38 pm

Just back from our trip. We had booked an Overwater St. Regis Suite and I sent them a million messages asking for room 535 (the sunset one).
Well, in the end, we got room 520, but I think it might just be the best room in the hotel, maybe with the exception of the JJA Estate.

Yes, the pool is cold, but the suite is spacious and super private.
The sunset overwater villas are much closer to another, some of them are clearly visible from
the Whale Bar (538-544 or so).
Most of the regular overwater villas (501-519) are visible from the beach on the north side of the island.
The beach villas on the north side of the island (315-301) have a nice beach, but it’s open to all guests. So again, no privacy, as people can just walk in front of your terrace. 315-309 also face the overwater villas on the other side. No privacy.
When you get further East (305 etc.), you have more privacy, but you get closer to the arrival jetty. You will hear the seaplane noise several times per day and smell the jet fuel.
The overwater villas on the south side, meaning 212-207 (I believe they are all 2 bedroom overwater villas/suites), are clearly visible from the Whale Bar. Once again, you have no privacy.
And finally the beach villas on the south side, 206-201, you have a very small beach, almost none at all. And the water is a bit rocky there.

I think beach villas are much nicer than overwater villas, but because of the issues described above, I think the Overwater St. Regis Suites win. Whichever you get, you’ll have a private or very private room.
And I think privacy is the most important thing in the Maldives. I just love being able to lie on my deck in my birthday suit, or not having to worry about who can see me after taking a shower.

Oh, and the Garden Villas... We stayed in one for a few hours while waiting for the seaplane back. The rooms themselves are very nice, but oh my god, it’s depressing. Please don’t book them. There’s noise and possibly some smell from the restaurants and you feel like your in some sort of shack in the woods. Of course it’s still better than not being in the Maldives, but with upgrades being so cheap, please just book something better (we paid 75$ per night to upgrade from a Garden Villa to an Overwater St. Regis Suite).
I think I have to pay 25$ per night to upgrade from SOWV to OW suite.
So you thought the suite was significantly better and more private compared to regular OWV or SOWV?
I like the idea of seeing sunset from my room every night at the same time it's such a small fee to make an upgrade so it gets me thinking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.