Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL PM, UA GS, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by intenso_project
Got here Tuesday night for 6 nights. Let me know if people have any specific questions / etc! Will post review / feedback when I get back
Any information on the updated/reduced breakfast menu as well as any finds on cool “off menu” items would be appreciated.

Also, how full do you think the resort is? And were they open to upgrading you?

We get there on feb 28 - can’t wait!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Originally Posted by intenso_project
Got here Tuesday night for 6 nights. Let me know if people have any specific questions / etc! Will post review / feedback when I get back
Any recommendation on best Beach Villa location or which BV to choose would be nice to know. I'm going there in June for 6 nights and have currently booked a BV and wondering if I should divide my time between BV and any other villa type like OWV and GV?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I haven't had a chance yet to share my thoughts and data points on the stay we completed about 2 weeks ago, so here goes. I wasn't planning to do a full review because there are already plenty of those, but I did want to point out a couple of things (not in order of importance).
  • I booked straight into a St Regis Villa using all points. I emailed the resort and requested the coveted villa 535 and I felt really lucky to be awarded that villa for our full stay . I am Gold and my husband is Plat but I was not expecting any upgrade having booked an STR OWV and requesting 535 so we were absolutely fine with that.
  • Regarding the villa location, we liked it because it was about halfway up the jetty so not too far to walk to places if we wanted to. We obviously also like the relatively warm pool that comes with having a villa on the Sunset side - I say relatively warm because I was actually expecting a bathtub warm pool based on the hype that people give a sunset pool but the temperature was lukewarm at best; sometimes the ocean water was even warmer than the pool. I can't imagine what the water temperature in a non sunset pool would be but I haven't tried it so can't say. The fact that we were on the sunset side also shielded us completely on many days from wind and choppy waters. We would walk on the jetty and there would be a really strong breeze and we would see how choppy the water was on the sunrise side but then the water on our side behind our villa was super calm and enjoyable snorkel in.
  • The only thing I really really disliked about our villa location is that because it's so central there are "buggies" (go-karts) passing by back and forth at practically all hours of the day and night and they make quite a noise on those wooden walkways. When you're inside the villa it's ok, passable, but the noise was loudest if we were out on the back deck relaxing - it was just really annoying. If I had to choose again, it would be a tough call for me if to request this villa again and just live with that noise or rather take at STR OWV all the way at the end of the walkway where the number of passing buggies is way way less.
  • The actual villa itself was phenomenal and spacious and the larger pool actually allowed for doing real swimming in it when I wanted to avoid the salty water.
  • Being in the Maldives for the first time, I really enjoyed the snorkeling and seeing all those colorful fish up close. I did not see any sea turtles or eagle rays (did see some rays and even baby sharks once when walking near the water by the beach area but not while snorkeling) but I was perfectly fine with the range of colors and sizes of fish as well as coral that we did see as first timers.
  • On our last day we requested and were granted a 4 p.m. late checkout (which I believe is a guaranteed Plat benefit) because our seaplane was scheduled to leave around that time. However, they said we cannot stay in our Villa and would be moved at noon to a Beach Villa. We were disappointed because it basically meant that we weren't able to do anything that day. We didn't wake up early enough to have enough time to do any snorkeling and swimming and still be able to shower and pack up thereafter to be ready for the 12 p.m. move; after that we were all packed up already so it wasn't like we were going to do anything so we just lounged around in the new villa and relaxed. And then we were given what is probably the worst beach Villa (301) as it is closest the seaplane arrival jetty - they obviously gave it to us since it's the least used villa in the resort and occupancy was quite high while we were there. So to the poster above, make sure you don't get this villa! In addition to being so close to the arrival jetty, the beach for this villa was practically off of a quite steep cliff due to the high winds shifting all the sand to the left - our butler said they would be bringing in sand to "fix" the beach on this end. The actual villa itself was quite nice and the outdoor shower out back is pretty cool. I did like the setup and the extra space in the STR OWV much better and would definitely go back to that rather than stay in beach villa but it was nice to experience it for those few hours.
  • Occupancy rate during our stay according to our butler was at 80% - 90% but we did not feel or see any crowding at all. We did spend a lot of time just enjoying our villa, deck, and snorkeling in the ocean off our villa, but when we did venture out and walk or bike the place did not feel overrun. I believe this is what most people feel even when the resort is at close to full occupancy - it is big enough that you don't ever feel like it's stuffed.
  • As I mentioned in a previous post, we received a fruit basket as a welcome gift in our room upon arrival. According to the Wiki it can be refilled upon request, however our butler said they no longer do that - you just get it once as a welcome and that's it because they found that a lot of fruits went to waste as many people didn't eat it. I told him that that's why I thought it switched to "on request" because if your'e requesting it means that you're actually eating the fruits, but he said that no, they don't refill at all. So unless others have had alternate recent experiences where their fruit WAS refilled on request, I think I will go ahead and update the Wiki to state that the fruit basket is a one time thing, so others are aware of this and won't be disappointed like I was - I know it's nothing major but we try to eat healthy and we had been looking forward to having fresh fruits daily.
I think that's it . If I think of anything else I'll be sure to add it and if I can, I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
  • On our last day we requested and were granted a 4 p.m. late checkout (which I believe is a guaranteed Plat benefit) because our seaplane was scheduled to leave around that time. However, they said we cannot stay in our Villa and would be moved at noon to a Beach Villa. We were disappointed because it basically meant that we weren't able to do anything that day. We didn't wake up early enough to have enough time to do any snorkeling and swimming and still be able to shower and pack up thereafter to be ready for the 12 p.m. move; after that we were all packed up already so it wasn't like we were going to do anything so we just lounged around in the new villa and relaxed. And then we were given what is probably the worst beach Villa (301) as it is closest the seaplane arrival jetty - they obviously gave it to us since it's the least used villa in the resort and occupancy was quite high while we were there. So to the poster above, make sure you don't get this villa! In addition to being so close to the arrival jetty, the beach for this villa was practically off of a quite steep cliff due to the high winds shifting all the sand to the left - our butler said they would be bringing in sand to "fix" the beach on this end. The actual villa itself was quite nice and the outdoor shower out back is pretty cool. I did like the setup and the extra space in the STR OWV much better and would definitely go back to that rather than stay in beach villa but it was nice to experience it for those few hours.
Glad to hear you had a great stay, the 4pm late checkout is not guarenteed for any tier level as this is a resort and the hotel did not have to even move you to a different Villa, simply ask you to vacate your Villa by 12pm so considering you are there in a reasonably high season I think your expectations on the resort were unfair. It feels like with a little bit more planning you could have made more of your final day. Simply get pack everything you dont need and leave what you do in a seperare bag and pack it in on top as you leave the villa at 4pm.

As an early riser personally I would have pakced before breakfast, enjoyed breakfast and asked for the bags to be moved while there, thus moving to the villa and making the most of it for the rest of the day. I realise this doesnt work for all if you prefer a sleep in, but I think by giving you a different villa the resort did above and beyond what it needed to rather than let you down.
TerryK likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Glad to hear you had a great stay, the 4pm late checkout is not guarenteed for any tier level as this is a resort and the hotel did not have to even move you to a different Villa......
St Regis went above and beyond what is required by program rules.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
St Regis went above and beyond what is required by program rules.
My point exactly!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
My point exactly!
I'm not sure why we were under the impression that it was a guaranteed benefit, but I stand corrected. I sure am glad the hotel did not leave us homeless until our scheduled seaplane departure. I also apologize if my feelings of disappointment were misinterpreted as being very severe, as they were nowhere close to that and had no bearing on my overall impression of the resort and my consideration for returning. I would definitely come back here if we had the opportunity to do so.

And yes, I agree, with better planning we could have made much better use of our last day. But we were not expecting to have to move and were only told late the prior night and were too exhausted to start thinking about it. In either case, we were fine and had a marvelous vacation.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm not sure why we were under the impression that it was a guaranteed benefit, but I stand corrected. I sure am glad the hotel did not leave us homeless until our scheduled seaplane departure. I also apologize if my feelings of disappointment were misinterpreted as being very severe, as they were nowhere close to that and had no bearing on my overall impression of the resort and my consideration for returning. I would definitely come back here if we had the opportunity to do so.

And yes, I agree, with better planning we could have made much better use of our last day. But we were not expecting to have to move and were only told late the prior night and were too exhausted to start thinking about it. In either case, we were fine and had a marvelous vacation.
I do agree that if they thought you may have to move they should have notified you of this by the afternoon of the day before. I can understand why they may not be able to confirm things untl the evening, but a warning it could be a possibility would be a good action from the hotel.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:01 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by icec
They've also updated the promo language on the offer page to exclude May. Wonder what makes May so special?

Complimentary Return Seaplane Transfer

Marriott Bonvoy™ Exclusive Offer: Throughout April and June to September 2020, book for 6 nights or more to enjoy complimentary return seaplane transfers from Male for two.
Damnit, I'm staying in March!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:04 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm booked into a 2Br Overwater Sunset Villa. Any tips for a first-time visitor? Are there multiple villas and should I request a specific number?

Anything else I should do to prepare ahead of time for the visit? 5-night stay with mom & grandmother.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm booked into a 2Br Overwater Sunset Villa. Any tips for a first-time visitor? Are there multiple villas and should I request a specific number?

Anything else I should do to prepare ahead of time for the visit? 5-night stay with mom & grandmother.
As for Villa 210 i would watch out as there is major construction on the left villa near it , the value for for food vs quality is a hit miss deal at times , the pizza @ Crust is a must , besides that its a wonderful resort where you can relax and unwind , depends on your status if plat then breakfast will make up for all the cons but if regular gold etc , then it will get expensive ( and i dont mean to be cheap as its a St Regis) but expensive as in (wow) expensive . .
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Marriott PP, HH G, GC Jade
Asked for prices of the mandatory NYE dinner and rooms upgrade (for NYE week). Received a reply with the following prices:

- New year’s Eve Gala dinner: USD1,349.04 per adult (inclusive of 23.2% taxes)

PAID UPGRADES inclusive of taxes (from GV, the only room bookable with points in that week):

- Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 1,232.00 per night;

- Beach Villa with Pool at USD 1,540.00 per night;

- Sunset Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 1,848.00 per night.

Honestly, I don’t know if it’s worth to pay a minimum of 8.624 USD for the upgrade…! :-S

Seaplane + NYE dinner (for 2) is already a 4.188,08 USD. Then you obviously have to consider 6 more dinner and other F&B expenses, spa, activities, …!

All these things in addition of the 600k points for 7 nights.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by TravelerIT
Asked for prices of the mandatory NYE dinner and rooms upgrade (for NYE week). Received a reply with the following prices:

- New year’s Eve Gala dinner: USD1,349.04 per adult (inclusive of 23.2% taxes)

PAID UPGRADES inclusive of taxes (from GV, the only room bookable with points in that week):

- Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 1,232.00 per night;

- Beach Villa with Pool at USD 1,540.00 per night;

- Sunset Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 1,848.00 per night.

Honestly, I don’t know if it’s worth to pay a minimum of 8.624 USD for the upgrade…! :-S

Seaplane + NYE dinner (for 2) is already a 4.188,08 USD. Then you obviously have to consider 6 more dinner and other F&B expenses, spa, activities, …!

All these things in addition of the 600k points for 7 nights.
spa is crazy expensive / 240++ for massAge is must...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Marriott PP, HH G, GC Jade
I know that Maldives aren’t cheap. I’ve been lucky enough to spend 6 days at W Malvides early this year, so I know that prices are above average.

BUT

1) Just 10 days earlier the upgrade cost per night for the OWV is 125++ (instead of 1000++) and for the BV 225++ (instead of 1.250++). On 7 nights this means +7546USD for OWV and +8840USD for BV. At these prices (to me) upgrade is a no-brainer! But for (a minimum of) 8.600 USD…I don’t know if it makes sense…!

2) “Unfortunately” ;-) I’ll spend there the NYE night…and also for this the price is really high! There’s a lot of debating here on ft if Decanter worth the money: well, here we’re looking at more than double (almost triple when rate is 395usd) the price of a Decanter dinner. Just to put things in perspective…! And I don’t know if it count for the 300vs350usd credit…in this case it’s a no brainer considering 350x7=2.450usd, less than the nye price itself!

Anyway…I’m not complaining…just reflecting! I’ll valuate if is a better “overall-value” St Regis or JW/Westin (I had a wonderful time at W…but I wanna try a new resort).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:27 am

Wow, those upgrade numbers are eye popping! During my stay which was peak season, an upgrade to STR OWV from GV booked on points was only $75++ bucks per night (or 15k points). Those upgrade prices over the holidays are crazy IMO, but I guess for people who can be there only at that time and want to upgrade they just have to deal with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.