Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by iazflyer
And, you were happy with the Service and the hard product at the W?
Again I am comparing mostly to Conrad Rangali because that's the closest reference point I have.

We stayed at both beach villa and overwater villa at W. Both villas had very different but great modern design and were in good shape and we liked both, especially the overwater one and swimming with rays right in front of our villa. What we did not like was that the W main island felt a bit cramped, It is built quite full for our taste. The staff buildings were also very close to the villas (Conrad has separate staff island) and the beach villas were very close to each other, so it did not feel so private. For example Conrad has lot more room to roam and feel like Robinson Crusoe.

We are not very demanding when it comes to service, but there were some big hiccups such as letting us book a restaurant for my wife's birthday evening, even though the restaurant was closed that night, which we found out when walking to the dinner. I guess should check the time tables ourselves... but must be said that the service recovery was really good in all cases, and mostly the service was very good and all the staff was super pleasant - for example the cocktail evening mingling with the staff was good fun. The breakfast was good and the other restaurants also, but not best-ever great. I think W at least for us was pretty relaxed, and StR seems to be a bit more on the luxury side of things. But as said, we are not the most demanding guests when it comes to service - we mostly like just to be left alone.

For snorkeling on the house reef, my #1 choice would still be W. For overall experience, we are returning to Conrad.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by iazflyer
Does anyone have opinions on the current state of the reef and wildlife? I’m still deciding between the W and the StR. The StR actually works out to be $1000 cheaper for 3 nights (because of upgrade fees at the W), but I’m worried about the lack of sea-life.

Is it a deal breaker?
I posted this the other month, but the "quality" of sea life and reef seem to be highly subjective when it comes to Flyertalk and the Maldives. If someone states that a place has "amazing" reef ask for photos. Is the sea life at the St. Regis amazing? Well if you don't snorkel often you may think it's pretty good. IMO it was fun, but not spectacular. We went twice a day for five days and enjoyed it each time. There was enough there to keep us entertained, but nothing that wow'd us. I haven't seen any snorkeling I'd go out of my way for in the Maldives. The snorkeling we did in the Philippines is what I would classify as amazing/excellent. I don't think the sea life at the St. Regis is a dealbreaker. There is enough there to keep you happy.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
While I enjoyed snorkeling it'd be helpful if people posted images when they describe the snorkeling and reef around the island as great. For example, I'd consider the snorkeling we did in the Philippines as "excellent":

The snorkeling outside the John Jacob Astor Estate:
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I haven't seen any snorkeling I'd go out of my way for in the Maldives. The snorkeling we did in the Philippines is what I would classify as amazing/excellent. I don't think the sea life at the St. Regis is a dealbreaker. There is enough there to keep you happy.
I will say that the turtles were easy to find and fun to swim with @ the W, same with the (benign but plentiful) reef sharks -- sure, the coral itself in the Maldives is nothing spectacular, but the turtles & sharks were "wow" factors and were better at the W than at the Park Hyatt.

Shot from outside beach villa @ W:

Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Unless you need the extra space I would agree. Warm pool and the guaranteed sunset view are hard to beat.
Is this still the case in November to December time when the weather is already warm? Trying to decide booking Sunset Overwater Villa or the Suite
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by doenutt
Is this still the case in November to December time when the weather is already warm? Trying to decide booking Sunset Overwater Villa or the Suite
From what I've read (here and elsewhere) the weather is warm all year round and a Sunset Pool will always be warmer than a non-Sunset pool. But people who've been there can chime in once again with their personal experiences.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Do they have ironing boards and pressing irons in the rooms or do you have to use the butler service? If butler Service only, is there a charge or is it free (at least for Titaniums)?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Also they provide fins for snorkeling free of charge, right?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Also they provide fins for snorkeling free of charge, right?
Yes - the snorkelling equipment is free.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
Yes - the snorkelling equipment is free.
Thank you!
We'll arrive on Sunday... Can't really decide if I should prebook and restaurants, and if, which and at what time... Any suggestions?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Do they have ironing boards and pressing irons in the rooms or do you have to use the butler service? If butler Service only, is there a charge or is it free (at least for Titaniums)?
The butler will press clothes for free (I think a couple of items a day, but doubt they're overly strict)
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by friedablass
From what I've read (here and elsewhere) the weather is warm all year round and a Sunset Pool will always be warmer than a non-Sunset pool. But people who've been there can chime in once again with their personal experiences.
I have stayed in both. Sunset was warm and nice to swim in and non sunset was freezing.
friedablass likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
We stayed 1 night in 508 (non-sunset suite) and the rest in 535 (sunset side suite) - its a pretty substantial difference in water temperature.

Having stayed in the Suite once (which is spectacular and I'm glad we did it), I would probably opt for a Sunset OWV on my next stay to guarantee it.
friedablass likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:07 am

Looks like they have a promo of free seaplane transfers for 6 nights or more stays in September. Anyone think that's worth it?

Last edited by yoyotogblo; Jan 20, 2020 at 10:08 am Reason: Add info
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:34 am

I recall ironing boards in the rooms, but the butler service is free for a couple pieces per day
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:09 pm

Is there a significant difference going to St Regis Maldives as a Titanium member vs a Platinum? I think both get free breakfast, wondering if there's an advantage for me to go this year as a Titanium vs going next year as a Plat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.