Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:34 pm

I met Bill Marriott twice - at the Empire Club in Toronto where he was speaking and also at one of my timeshares. In both cases he was very friendly to everyone and mixed extremely well. I can't imagine him just sitting and watching people or being startled when you said something, but could certainly see him going to every table and introducing himself.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Maybe it was AIG's Hank Greenberg (or even Mike Bloomberg). Maybe its just me, but I am allways freaked out by how much all three look alike
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by quik
Bill probably would not have been drinking coffee.
I can't recall ever seeing him drink coffee and would agree he most likely wouldn't have been.....he is very personable and would have been speaking with guests, he loves to speak with guests and associates and will typically have a few managers around him (not to say he couldn't have been alone either)

PS a side note is he does love to go wander by himself if he has time...he's been known to walk the back of the house late at night/early in the morning and just observe the condition of the hotel and chat with the associates and guests
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Mr BL and I were there the same time - did not see him either but we were a quick in and out.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:48 am

Marriott Marquis help

Does anyone on this site have a VIP card for te Marriott? If so, can you PM me? I would like to ask you about it.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:47 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
LISABETTY, welcome to FlyerTalk. Let me move this to the appropriate forum, Marriott Rewards. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:01 am
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Many of us here are elite members in the Marriott program. What questions can we answer for you?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:48 pm

VIP

Thank you everyone! I notice there are several codes that give excelltn rates at the Marquis, such as the VIP rate.. Can you tell me how to get a VIP card? Thanks,
:
Any other tips on the Marquis that you can share would be appreciated!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
The VIP card is a perk of several sportswriter groups. It's a specific card, not to be confused by a Marriott issued Silver/Gold/Plat. elite member card. You do not want to book the rate unless you have the VIP card with your name on it.

Bruce
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:22 pm

marriott

Understood! Thanks for your reply!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Beyond the sportswriters group, it is for college/university athletics departments and related employees.....I have one through my employer and it works wonders in several cities....New york is not one of them though....but $100 a night at the San Fran Marriott makes my biz to CA all the more worthwhile!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:55 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
If you want one of these cards you can join NASO for $94 a year (no requisites for eligibility) and they will send you one.

www.naso.org

Also, if you print off your receipt and the site showing the VIP card as being one of the benefits, most hotels will allow you to use the benefit before you actually receive the card. That being said, don't be disappointed when you don't get carded for it (I never have).
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by LISABETTY
Thank you everyone! I notice there are several codes that give excelltn rates at the Marquis, such as the VIP rate.. Can you tell me how to get a VIP card? Thanks,
:
Any other tips on the Marquis that you can share would be appreciated!
Are you looking for rate/reservation tips? Stay tips? General Information Tips? I stay at this hotel fairly often (assuming you mean the one in NYC) and perhaps can help you with specific requests -
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Police shoot man outside Marriott Marquis Times Square

Not exactly an everyday occurrence:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-times-square/
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Excerpt from AP story:

December 10, 2009
NYC Police Officer Kills Times Square Panhandler
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 1:20 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- A panhandler opened fire on police in busy Times Square on Thursday afternoon and was shot and killed by an officer near the famed Marriott Marquis hotel, police said.

No one else was injured. The 25-year-old suspect was recognized by a plainclothes sergeant on a task force that monitors aggressive panhandling, and took off running through to the hotel's passenger drop-off area, chief NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said.

At some point, the man turned and opened fire on the officer, continued running, then turned and fired again, Browne said. The plainclothes officer returned fire, killing the suspect, Browne said.

Dave Kinmahan, a tourist from Boston, was parking his car in a spot below street level at the hotel when he saw one man shooting another.

''I was 20 yards away,'' Kinmahan said. He said he thought, ''is this real or this a movie?''

The hotel is located in the Broadway theater district and near the heart of Times Square. The area includes the Minskoff Theatre, home to the popular show ''The Lion King,'' and bullets hit the theater ticket box near the Marquis, cracking the window.

It's not clear how many shots were fired. Browne described the suspect's gun, which was recovered, as a pistol with a long clip.

Dozens of police officers surrounded the popular hotel, taping off the valet parking area as tourists and holiday shoppers stopped to watch the commotion.

Kathleen Duffy, a spokeswoman for New York City Marriott Hotels, said the shooting took place in a taxi pickup and drop-off area. Duffy said the shooting didn't involve any guests or hotel employees....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.