Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The corner rooms are much larger rooms - they have a defined sitting area that's not a separate room - think of it as a studio suite. It has a couch and chair and does make the room feel much larger.

For 5 nights, I'd consider paying up for $70/nt - if it was just 1-2, maybe not - but for 5, I'd want the space.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Note that all the King Rooms at this Marriott have sofas that pull out to a bed. I have gotten this room as an upgrade and since there were 3 of us, the little extra space was welcome. There is not a separate living/sleeping area, as others have said more like a junior suite. I am not sure I would pay $70 a night for it.

This hotel will get pretty busy on Wednesday night as a lot of people stay there and go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thanksgiving morning. Also, this hotel hosts a lot of groups performing in the parade. This may factor into your ability to score a complimentary upgrade. When I last stayed there on points, I was told, "We don't usually upgrade Plats staying on points!" A lot will depend on the FDC checking you in. If the extra space is important to you and it will ruin your stay if you don't have this room, pay for it in advance and enjoy it.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OU812
When I last stayed there on points, I was told, "We don't usually upgrade Plats staying on points!" A lot will depend on the FDC checking you in. If the extra space is important to you and it will ruin your stay if you don't have this room, pay for it in advance and enjoy it.
I've stayed here on points a number of times and almost always have been upgraded to either the corner room or at least a TS view room. So I'm not sure the "don't usually upgrade" comment from the agent is correct.

But I normally wasn't staying there during a high occupancy night either. So I definitely agree with your "if you want it, pay for it" statement. During a "special" night, I always "assume" I won't be upgraded and if I really want it, I pay for it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you go to the website & click on the executive room + sign, you can see the floor plans - http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...riott-marquis/
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Unless you are guaranteed a room with a fantastic view, I wouldn't do it. If you're in NYC, you're not there to lounge around your hotel room. It's not Hawaii or another location where you're going to relax. It's NYC. If you're spending more than sleeping time in the room, you're doing something wrong.

Full disclosure: I'm cheap with my points and money. I'd rather take that $350, add it to what I was going to pay for dinner one night and have a truly memorable meal, or use it towards seeing one extra show while you are there. Either would be more memorable, IMO, than having a bigger hotel room.

If you have money to burn, then why not? If you are trying to have the best experience on a reasonable budget, I'd put that money towards another NYC activity.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
As a Platinum, who regularly stays at this hotel, I've never had to pay for a corner room upgrade. Generally, your (free) upgrade options are a corner room or Times Square view. I'm fine with either. All the rooms are decent, but they're not anything I'd write home about. As others mentioned, you're in NYC and you probably won't spend much time in the hotel room.

Also, if you choose to get an upgrade, make sure it's not on floors 10-27. If they upgrade you to one of those floors, you'll have to switch elevators to get to the Executive Lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE
Marriott Marquis NYC

Booked two nights the weekend before Xmas.

Questions:

It says that all rooms have a Sofa Bed. We are two couples and have two children traveling with us. Wonder if the 4 Person max is tightly enforced?

Is the Exec Lounge open on weekends?

How is this hotel on Upgrades?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
I'll cover one - lounge is not open on weekends.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by AFONTANEZ

Questions:

It says that all rooms have a Sofa Bed. We are two couples and have two children traveling with us. Wonder if the 4 Person max is tightly enforced?

Is the Exec Lounge open on weekends?

Just don't have everyone show up at the check-in counter and you don't have to worry. They are not going to go room to room checking how many people are in each room.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
Just don't have everyone show up at the check-in counter and you don't have to worry. They are not going to go room to room checking how many people are in each room.
Please note that this is in response to the OP's original post.

Are you serious about having four adults + two children in the same room for two nights? I hope that you are planning to spend most of your time outside of the room.

Also, regardless of whether the lounge is open, I would consider even thinking of bringing six people from the same room into the lounge to be gaming the system.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Dec 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm Reason: additional comment
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Also, regardless of whether the lounge is open, I would consider even thinking of bringing six people from the same room into the lounge to be gaming the system.
The lounge at the Marquis is the one place they ~do~ check the numbers. Registered guest plus one.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by AFONTANEZ

Around the holidays this place is full or nearly full, and people are willing to pay for suites. Don't count on an upgrade.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
NY Marquis: lounge access out of control

Staying here this week: moved breakfast to a ballroom. Understood that it's spring break and all but lounge access is NOT for 13 generations of one family to eat: status is not an entitlement to feed your family on vacation! Evenings are not quite as bad: usually only four or five generations eating, after waiting in a line of 25 people. Insanity and will cost us all lounge access restrictions and closures in the future. Mark my words! End of rant.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by boss315
Staying here this week: moved breakfast to a ballroom. Understood that it's spring break and all but lounge access is NOT for 13 generations of one family to eat: status is not an entitlement to feed your family on vacation! Evenings are not quite as bad: usually only four or five generations eating, after waiting in a line of 25 people. Insanity and will cost us all lounge access restrictions and closures in the future. Mark my words! End of rant.
Well if the 13 generations paid for exec level they're entitled to lounge access. My understanding is that the Marquis is one of the properties that enforces the elite + 1. Perhaps they just have a very large contingent of Gold/Plat members staying, but if they do they're entitled to the lounge (in addition to those who have paid for exec level). And for all you know, perhaps some of the 13 generation paid the fee for the additional guests. Given the prices of Manhattan, it might be a good deal for brekkie plus evening.

Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Holidays, events and conventions equal insanity at the NY Marquis CL. I long ago gave up staying there.

If there is one U.S. hotel that should limit (and enforce) CL access to two registered guests/room, it is this one. I'd ban kids when alcohol is served, too, but I know that is not a popular perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.