Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
do they check ID or room key? how is it controlled?
One of your room keys will be coded to open the lock on the lounge door (and has the hours written on the keycard itself). There is also an attendant who is usually standing right outside to make sure you don't bring in more than one guest. You can probalby figure out a way to bring in more than one guest, especially during breakfast when the buffet is shared with the restaurant and you can access the lounge through the buffet.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Renovation completed.

https://news.marriott.com/news/2022/...ork-city-grows
Old Dec 12, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Staying in early Feb for a convention. Anyone have a recent review of the guest rooms since the renovations? Been a few years since I have stayed here and interested in the updates.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 2:40 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
For meetings that I plan I've had luck getting properties to reduce or drop amenity/destination/resort fees from group rate contracts. Another frustrating fee they often charge is porterage, regardless of whether you use the bellman or not. The J.W. Marriott Los Cabos charges all guests, not just those on a group rate contract, porterage fees.
Just curious, isn't charging porterage mean that guests are not expected to provide gratitude?
Old Dec 25, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by rt23456p
Just curious, isn't charging porterage mean that guests are not expected to provide gratitude?
Generally porterage fees are a mandatory cash grab from the hotel whether you use their baggage service or not. It should pay the gratuity to baggage carriers.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
2 night stay midweek. Didn’t notice much of a change in the guest rooms since the renovation, some minimal decor changes. But public spaces are nicer than I remember. The move of the lounge from the 23rd floor to the 8th floor I don’t think gained much in the sense of square footage. The breakfast buffet was shared with the restaurant and more extensive than I recall. Gym is now on 23rd and has great views. Overall I would recommend if you are tied to Time Square. Not a good value redemption property, approx .5cpp during my stay.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just completed a 3-night stay here; I'm a NYC resident but gave my apartment up for the weekend to visiting family. I've been infatuated with this hotel since I started coming to the city regularly in the early 90's. We booked 2 days before arrival as the price came down and was fairly competitive on a pricey spring weekend. It must have been too close to check-in as the lowest direct Bonvoy rates weren't available, but we wanted to use up some free night credits from Hotels.com. It ended up being $427/night including taxes and the $30/nt destination fee. This was offset by an average of ~$225/nt in Hotels.com credits.

In any event - general impressions
  • The room was quite big. I think it's close to 400sf which is enormous for a standard room in Manhattan. They definitely felt newly-renovated and were in very good condition. The room safe was the biggest I've seen anywhere.
  • Of course the highest floor they had a room available was 15. But apparently we were upgraded to a Times Square View room. Good thing the curtains are thick, it is BRIGHT. But it was actually kind of neat being able to watch the goings-on on the street. It was a little bit noisy in the late evenings, but ultimately not too bad.
  • The $30 fee gets you a daily $30 F&B credit plus one tourist ticket (per night, so presumably we would have gotten 3 tickets). I never found out what exactly as there was always a line at the ticket office in the lobby. Knowing the chitshow that is the HHonors breakfast credit, I had to ask at check-in for some details on the F&B credit - it does not accumulate, and you can use it on checkout day, before 11am. It's basically only valid at the lobby restaurant, bar, or room service. It is not valid in the grab-and-go/cafe area which of course is where it would be most useful. Otherwise you're going to go way over $30 which of course is the idea. (I mean you *could* just get two yogurt parfaits for breakfast or two glasses of wine at the bar). Anyway, at check-out, I learned that the credit actually expires/resets at 11am each day. I will spare the details but I had to argue with the FD agent at checkout to get the 3x daily credits, which we used on morning 1 (5/19) for early lunch, evening 2 for drinks (5/20), and morning 3 for breakfast (5/21, checkout day), because we used it after 11am on morning 1. :rolleyes I requested to speak to the manager, he went off, and then came back and acquiesced. Still, it left a bad taste in my mouth, after what was otherwise a pretty enjoyable stay.
  • Food and service was decent enough.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Just for clarity. The question wasn't if the the Destination fee was daily (I think that was already understood.) The question was whether the $30 F&B credit was daily or not. And the answer is: it isn't.
Just to update/clarify - It is.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for two weekday nights. Generally try to stay away from Times Square, but since I planned to see a couple of shows, bit the bullet and booked here. Also, generally did not have great impression of Marquis from stay a number of years ago (and the dreary lounge back then). However, I feel like my stay was pretty decent. Did the job. While not luxurious, room was very satisfactory. M Club hours are as posted several posts above. Evening hors d'oeuvres are really nothing to get excited about, but breakfast is as good as it generally gets in the US, as the lounge guests share the same breakfast buffet as the paying restaurant guests. Excellent breakfast, which for me is a big plus. And, for better or worse, I appreciated the elevator system this time, which really works well IMO. No long waits or crowded elevators with no space to get on.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by dcchi
Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for two weekday nights. Generally try to stay away from Times Square, but since I planned to see a couple of shows, bit the bullet and booked here. Also, generally did not have great impression of Marquis from stay a number of years ago (and the dreary lounge back then). However, I feel like my stay was pretty decent. Did the job. While not luxurious, room was very satisfactory. M Club hours are as posted several posts above. Evening hors d'oeuvres are really nothing to get excited about, but breakfast is as good as it generally gets in the US, as the lounge guests share the same breakfast buffet as the paying restaurant guests. Excellent breakfast, which for me is a big plus. And, for better or worse, I appreciated the elevator system this time, which really works well IMO. No long waits or crowded elevators with no space to get on.
Glad to hear it - I'll be returning here in a couple of months - the elevators are just too fun to pass up.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Here are my impressions of my 2nd stay at this property - a gold mine for an elevator enthusiast:
  • Pre-arrival showed an upgrade to a Times Square view King - at check-in, the agent found a King Suite for me without me having to ask - lots of typing and calling someone in the back office - but still I hadn’t said anything - ended up in a high floor suite that was very large with a huge amount of seating
  • Told I couldn’t have late checkout because of the suite but could stay in the lounge until lounge closure at 2 (didn’t need that)
  • Elevators are great, and the destination dispatch works well
  • Bed is comfortable - a tad springy when getting up but soft-enough top, pillows are plush, covers could be thicker
  • Shower pressure is decent
  • Given non-alcoholic set at check-in as the welcome gift (cheese and crackers)
  • M Club evening service isn’t really worth it - small selection, no desserts
  • M Club breakfast is great - it’s the restaurant buffet that is connected to the club - lemon pound cake was so good, croissants and bacon and eggs were good - service was friendly (they come around to see how you are doing)
  • Destination fee has $30 credit - used some for take out dessert at the restaurant - service was friendly, tiramisu was decent but could have used more coffee flavor - fully wiped automatically off the bill
  • Agent processed Marriott gift cards easily and quickly
  • Service was friendly throughout
  • View towards Westin was pretty in the morning

I’m sure I’ll return at some point.

Photos:

Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:41 pm

Is this property strict on lounge access for just 2 people per plat guest? I have an upcoming trip with 2 adults and a child and am wondering if getting breakfast for all 3 of us will be an issue? I know the benefit is the plat member +1, but I have also never had a problem with more than two of us entering the lounge.

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by jiggs
Is this property strict on lounge access for just 2 people per plat guest? I have an upcoming trip with 2 adults and a child and am wondering if getting breakfast for all 3 of us will be an issue? I know the benefit is the plat member +1, but I have also never had a problem with more than two of us entering the lounge.

Thanks!
They try to limit access by only coding one of your room keys for lounge access. And while there is usually somebody watching who enters, I have not seen any sign that they are aggressively trying to limit entry. Last time I stayed there, they "mistakenly" coded both keys for lounge access.

I am guessing that if one of you enters with your child and then returns to open the door for the other adult, nobody will question it. There is quite a bit of traffic so policing this would be very challenging.
jiggs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.