Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
For New Years---good choice. Right in center of Times Square celebration. Overall, a very good hotel. Very large, somewhat noisy. I have stayed there numerous times if needed to be in Times Square area for broadway shows ,etc.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DENROC
For New Years---good choice. Right in center of Times Square celebration. Overall, a very good hotel. Very large, somewhat noisy. I have stayed there numerous times if needed to be in Times Square area for broadway shows ,etc.
I would agree, for new years I think it is great because of the location. Unless you know that the elevators are going to be broken. When I stayed here several years ago, about half of them were broken. It was such a hassle. Not to scare you or anything. It is still a very good hotel.

Delta747
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Great choice for NYE in NYC. Couple of things:

Lounge offerings in the morning consist of a decent continental breakfast fare, with scrambled eggs, some type of protein, variety of pastries, and of course bagels and smoked salmon (at least last time I was there). Nothing much else throughout the day other than drinks and bags of chips and fruit. Evening offerings start around 5:30pm.

Dinner in NYC on NYE will be very busy and if you are looking to dine at one of NYC's top restaurants that evening, make you reservation as early as possible, if you haven't done so already!

The Marriott Marquis is right in the heart of the action. Look on You Tube for NYE Times Square and you will catch glimpses of the Marquis. In years past a couple of American Networks have broadcast live from the Marquis on NYE. Saying the hotel will be busy is an understatement! It will be a madhouse that night!

Because of its location right off of time square, security around the hotel will be very tight. I believe they issue wrist bands to all guests to ensure only guests are entering and exiting the hotel. You may want to check with the Marquis about their rules on NYE regarding bringing friends/family to the hotel.

Times Square is extremely crowded on NYE. People start lining up very early that morning to watch the ball drop. Heading out at 11:30pm to catch the action probably will result in you and your family not getting very far into the heart of Times Square. You will be lucky if you are able to exit the hotel at that time as the streets are usually packed! (Again check You Tube). You may get lucky and get a room with a view of Times Square, but that is unlikely since I have seen those rooms go for big bucks on Marriott's website in years past. If you have your heart set on experiencing Times Square at midnight, I would check with the concierge at the Marquis to find out what time you need to hit the streets.

It should be fun no matter what you decide to do!

Regards,

RIP...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:42 am

OU812 gives good advice. I would just add that, between the fact that it is NYEve AND the fact that it is a weekend, I would doubt very much that the Concierge Lounge will be open to you at all during your stay. As this seems to be important to you, I suggest that you call the hotel before arrival to be sure it is open. I'd also get the name of the person you speak to...that way, if they tell you it will be open and it isn't, at least you may have some recourse to get free breakfast certificates or something similar.

The elevator system in this hotel has been upgraded and is now better able to handle the capacity.

Have fun.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by flyerwife
OU812 gives good advice. I would just add that, between the fact that it is NYEve AND the fact that it is a weekend, I would doubt very much that the Concierge Lounge will be open to you at all during your stay. As this seems to be important to you, I suggest that you call the hotel before arrival to be sure it is open. I'd also get the name of the person you speak to...that way, if they tell you it will be open and it isn't, at least you may have some recourse to get free breakfast certificates or something similar.

The elevator system in this hotel has been upgraded and is now better able to handle the capacity.

Have fun.
The elevators are the most efficient I've ever seen. You put what floor you want to go to *outside* the elevator then some smart computer tells you which elevator to go into, thus better managing traffic.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
For a great view, try the bar on the 5th floor (i think) of the renaissance. Overlooks Times Square directly to the Ball Drop. I prefer the renaissance over Marquis , but both are good hotels.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:17 pm

Thanks for all the useful info so far. Does anyone know where I can find the concierge email address for the Marriott Marquis New York? Can't locate it on the Marriott website nor by trawling through Google. Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
I stayed there in April 2004 and I loved it.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by cbechdel
For a great view, try the bar on the 5th floor (i think) of the renaissance. Overlooks Times Square directly to the Ball Drop. I prefer the renaissance over Marquis , but both are good hotels.
I completely agree. My company requires me to stay at these properties when traveling in on business and I HANDS DOWN prefer the Ren. Much nicer rooms, great lounge, and your wife will appreciate the Aveda bath products. The whole hotel has an overall more exclusive feel, IMO than the Marquis.

But be forewarned....will be very hectic at either with the NYE revelers.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:15 pm

Marriott Marquis New York Concierge

Hello. Does anyone know where I can find the concierge email address for the Marriott Marquis New York? Can't locate it on the Marriott website nor by trawling through Google. Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I would just try and call the hotel at: 1-212-398-1900. And either ask for the concierge or ask for the hotel email. Or you could submit your inquiry through the contact Marriott tab on the website (https://www.marriott.com/suggest/suggest.mi). Although the latter might not work as well and will probably take longer.

BTW my 200 post!

Delta747
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Breakfast at Marriott marquis times square

Ive read numerous reviews, etc of the hotel. Im not clear where the restaurant is for eating breakfast. Is breakfast served in the view? Or in a place off the lobby.
I'm gold, but I think we will probably want a sit down breakfast rather than what is in the cl.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sorry, have no idea where it is but be prepared to pay $$$. I paid $65 recently at the nearby Westin for one tiny juice (at $6 per glass), one coffee, yogurt, granola, eggs & toast. Why? Because we missed the CL cutoff and apparently there are people willing to pay...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
There is a breakfast buffet in a restaurant in the lobby (on the 8th floor). I believe it recently moved locations - but still close to where it was when I was there in August.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by steve4031
I'm gold, but I think we will probably want a sit down breakfast rather than what is in the cl.
People have had their Flyertalk membership revoked for expressing such thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.