Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
My wife likes it. She's afraid of heights and would always be wary of walking too close to the railings. Now it doesn't seem to bother her as much.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
NYE at NYC Marriott Marquis question

Hello!

Does anyone know the policies regarding the times square stuff in NYC for NYE? Does the Marriott have certain in/out restrictions during NYE?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
It has been several years since our family stayed there over NYE. At that time they issued special key cards to guests staying over the 31st. That evening every one in your party had to show the key card to access the hotel.

We left the hotel just before 8PM to stand in TS. Although we were a few blocks down from 42nd street we had a pretty good view of everything.

Enjoy,
bruce
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:04 pm

Bill Marriott Jr. sighting @ Concierge Lounge of the Marriott Marquis?

This morning in the Marriott Marquis I noticed a gentleman with only coffee, sitting at a table next to me watching everyone else in the room.

The Concierge Lounge was starting to clear out around 9:50 (breakfast ends at 9:30 but due to the mob of people they kept food out until about 9:50 - it is Pres Day) and the gentleman was still sitting there with his coffee watching everyone. I started thinking this gentlemen looks like Bill, has a wedding ring on, dressed appropriately, and seems more concerned with watching the flow of the room than anything else.

Then I spoke up and said, "It stopped raining outside." (we were by the window and it was raining all night in NYC) He seemed startled, ignored my comment, and got up and left out the north entrance and walked down the hallway away from the elevators (to a dead end). Then about 2 minutes later he walked past the lounge again toward the elevators.

I can't say for certain it was Bill, but he sure looked like him, and he seemed to be checking things out. I can't imagine why anyone would leave the lounge and go the wrong way (which is pretty obvious, since the wrong way is the end of the hallway) unless they were checking things out...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:49 pm

Bill probably would not have been drinking coffee.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by quik
Bill probably would not have been drinking coffee.
Decaf?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by laptop9999
Decaf?
Bill is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons). Mormons don't drink coffee (decaf or not). They do like hot chocolate.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
That end of the hallway still has a couple of rooms. Also, there's a stairway with access to all floors at that end.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by boltor
That end of the hallway still has a couple of rooms. Also, there's a stairway with access to all floors at that end.
Right, but since he passed by in 2 minutes it's unlikely he had one of those rooms
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by crazygrow
Bill is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons). Mormons don't drink coffee (decaf or not). They do like hot chocolate.
Chocolate and Coffee are both from beans...

Could have been coco, but i don't think that's standard in the lounge (not that he couldn't have had it made for him)
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If that was Mr. Marriott, it would have been very unlikely that he would have ignored you.

The Mormon Church has no official ban on decaffeinated coffee.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
From LDS.org:

In the Word of Wisdom, the Lord revealed that the following substances are harmful:

Tea and coffee (see D&C 89:9; latter-day prophets have taught that the term "hot drinks," as written in this verse, refers to tea and coffee).
D&C 89:9
And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
There is no way Mr. Marriott would have ignored you and walked away. It was NOT him.

JS
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
They would never let Mr. Marriott to be by himself at the lounge. The hotel GM would always be there.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
I was in the lounge at the Marquis with my family around the same time last Monday and don't recall seeing anyone resembling Bill Marriott.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.