Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Concerning the repeated nagging by housekeeping, etc, one thing I do is carry some Post-It notes in my computer bag. If I am granted a late check-out (to get extra sleep, or to participate in a conference call with the office, for example) I write the words

LATE CHECK-OUT 2:PM
FRONT DESK HAS APPROVED

and stick them to the do-not-disturb name tag. It usually works!

(If trying to sleep, I also unplug the phone(s)).
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Concerning the repeated nagging by housekeeping, etc, one thing I do is carry some Post-It notes in my computer bag. If I am granted a late check-out (to get extra sleep, or to participate in a conference call with the office, for example) I write the words

LATE CHECK-OUT 2:PM
FRONT DESK HAS APPROVED

and stick them to the do-not-disturb name tag. It usually works!

(If trying to sleep, I also unplug the phone(s)).
great advice... only problem would be if cleaning staff can't read English.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Any RECENT comments on Marquis Times Square?

Did a search; but most of the comments re the Marquis in Times Square are not that recent - have a stay there coming up, and am doing a last minute check of FT'ers! I am plat - any chance of a "view" upgrade? Is the Concierge Lounge open on the weekend? Any other comments are appreciated... TIA
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:16 pm

It was okay

Stayed there less than 2 weeks ago for my Bday. Also plat - no upgrade, in fact had to ask to switch rooms the next day. Concierge lounge closed on weekend. Breakfast at Con. Lounge was good during the week. Location is great. Not likely to stay there again.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by axiom99
...had to ask to switch rooms the next day. Not likely to stay there again.
can you share why or even more details? thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:54 pm

Room: It was clear as soon as we walked in that whoever stayed there before us thought it's a smoking room. The thermostat was set at 68 degrees, so we figured that they are trying to air it out and didn't switch the rooms right away. We tried to bring the tempreture up later in the evening, but 68 is all you got in that room. The air didn't clear up by morning and it was quite cold. So, we switched rooms. The other room was fine.
Front Desk: I requested a late check-out. The front desk asked me how late I would like to check-out, so I said 3pm (since he's asking!). The response was that the only late check-out they can allow is 1pm....then why would you ask me how late I want it? Just say that it's 1PM right away. Weird.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:17 pm

Fine Visit

My last two visits were fine---and one we got upgraded as a Silver Elite to a corner room which was much larger. Not suprisingly---it being NYC and all---the hotel is quite hectic!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Not worth it at all........If I was spending that kind of money at the Marquis, I'd splurge for $50 to stay at the Renaissance across the street.......but then again, IMHO, no hotel room in NYC is worth $400+
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:46 pm

I stayed there a few weeks ago for a last-minute award stay. They upgraded us to a suite, but it really was not much of a treat. The hotel has a great location, but is awfully dated. The guest rooms desperately need a renovation, especially if this is Marriott's "flagship" property.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:54 am

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed there a couple weeks ago for two nights. The hotel had a great view of Times Square. I found the service to be pretty good. The room was large for New York still small compared to the rest of the US. The lounge was small and did not have the best snacks but at least it was there. Overall it was a very nice stay.
I believe I must have been upgraded because I did have a Times Square view from a high floor.
I would go back.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
Red face

Is Charlie Giordano still the Concierge Manager at the Times Square? He would have been in the lounge if so. Undoubtedly the most helpful Marriott employee I have ever encountered over my years of traveling. He called the GM of the Ren in ATL and gave him hell because they were not going to allow my wife and family to check into my room, even though I was stuck at LGA and was going to be 5 hours late. He fixed that rather quickly.

His words were something along the lines of "Look, no family of one of my Platinum members is going to wait in your lobby, OK? You will? Great, thanks very much! If I can ever help you in NYC, please let me know."
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Platinum, Avis First
Marriott Marquis

I stayed there this past weekend (Sept 28-30) on points but as a Plat. I didn't get upgraded. At least I don't think I did.

I think it was already mentioned but the Concierge Lounge isn't open on weekends. I do like that the TKTS is right underneath but I could do with staying a little further away from the heart of Times Square. I probably will stay again just because the other NYC Marriotts don't seem to be that much less costly on points.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyinghome
The lounge was small and did not have the best snacks but at least it was there.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting which Marriott everyone is talking about, but I remember the Marquis having a larger than normal (for the US) CL with very nice TV screens at most of the tables and a nice selection of non-alcoholic drinks. In fact, I would put the CL definitely as better than average (against US CLs).
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Maybe I'm misinterpreting which Marriott everyone is talking about, but I remember the Marquis having a larger than normal (for the US) CL with very nice TV screens at most of the tables and a nice selection of non-alcoholic drinks. In fact, I would put the CL definitely as better than average (against US CLs).
I agree w/ hhoope01. They do a really nice breakfast in the morning. Don't think I made it to evening drinks as I was meeting FTers for dinner.

Edited to add: sophiegirl, I responded to your PM.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 3, 2007 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:50 pm

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
NY Marriot Marquis Atrium Cage

Well the elevators now seem to be running well, but they are building a cage around the atrium. Sort of turned me off..... what do others think?

Without much more work, this could probably be converted to a prison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.