Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:36 pm

This sounds like incompetance on the part of the staff. I definately would have said something in your case.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
A similar thing happened to me at the San Francisco Marriott a few months ago, and I sent in a comment card with the complaint. A few days later, 10,000 points posted to my account as compensation.

Originally Posted by ordflyer60614
Just thougth I would share the following experience and see if anyone has complained about a similar experience and what the remedy/outcome was.

I was at the New York Marquis two weeks ago and was upgraded to a nice Times Square view suite at the top (which is the primary reason I never said anything about the issue I experienced). Well, on the day of checkout, I called and ask if it was ok to get a 1pm checkout (I didn't figure it would since I normally ask for a 2pm). No problem at all, she said she would make the notation, etc., etc.

For reference, I have the do not disturb sign on the door. Starting around 10am, lasting until the point I checked out at exactly 1pm, the following pestering occurred:
-Received a phone call asking when I would be checking out. I responded with "1pm just as I confirmed earlier".
-Received a knock on the door asking the same question. In a slightly more angry tone I responded in with the same and pointed to the do not disturb sign.
-As the housekeepers were cleaning nearby rooms that could be adjoined to the suite, they repeatedly opened the adjoining doors and attempted to open the door adjoining to my room (making one hell of a racket).
-Now a little later, approaching 12:30 - I get another call asking when I'm checking out, sounds like the same woman I spoke to earlier and obviously from housekeeping
-At 1pm, I leave, am walking down the hall, and was asked "Are you checking out of room #45??" I said "YES, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I AM CHECKING OUT". Again, sounded like the same woman that called twice.

As I write this I don't understand why I didn't say something (probably because I was trying to catch my car service), but anyone run into anything like this before?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
A similar thing happened to me at the San Francisco Marriott a few months ago, and I sent in a comment card with the complaint. A few days later, 10,000 points posted to my account as compensation.
Did they only comp you 10k points or did they contact you as well somehow to apologize? I do the guest relations for my property and find it EXTREMELY tacky if they didn't contact you through phone/mail/email. Just curious.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by wxguy

Thanks for the tip. On that note, I will definitely take the time to write them a letter.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
Just an update. 9 days after my letter was written and no response yet... Time will tell.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Would you have written the letter if you didn't think 10K was potentially waiting for you? Was being pestered worth 10K? Just curious...

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:31 am

My cousin is at the Marquis now. He checked-in yesterday to room number 17?? and had a great day in NYC - the night was not so good. Their neighbors are French and hosted a party in their hotel room last night. People were using the stairs until 3 am to come and go which meant the door was slammed a lot. My cousin really does not complain and as the room is FREE for him - my Dad owns a unit at Camelback in AZ, so they are using that time for his stay - but the room is still over $500 a night which goes against my parents' Condo time. My cousin and his girlfriend have 10 hour flights back to Europe tomorrow - what would you do?? I have called the front desk and asked for a room change for tonight and was told I can't be helped until 3 pm when checkouts are complete and the rooms are cleaned. Also, the hotel is 100% sold out for tonight.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
If I was there, I would let the hotel know about the previous night's experience and ask for appropriate compensation. Actually, if I was in your cousin's shoes, I would have complained last night when everything was going on. It is not legal to host a party in a suite, let alone a hotel room at this property. IIRC, I saw such a warning for suites at the NYC Marriott Marquis under the rate rules.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:57 am

My cousin did in fact call the front desk last night and it was quieter for about an hour - but the slamming of the door continued until 3 am. I'll let you know what happens when he tries to change his room at 3 pm.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by ITALady
My cousin is at the Marquis now. He checked-in yesterday to room number 17?? and had a great day in NYC - the night was not so good. Their neighbors are French and hosted a party in their hotel room last night.
How does their "Frenchness" affect our perception of your description of the noise?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:42 am

If they were German I would have said German if they were Swedish I would have said Swedish - just telling a story - they just happen to be French - and LOUD.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This may make me a terrible person, but when this has happened to me (not at a Marriott), I called the offendors room on the way out in the early morning. Hope they weren't trying to sleep in
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
1. This begs the question, and my personal pet peeve, WHY CAN'T DOORS SHUT WITHOUT SLAMMING, without regards to the time of day? I can't believe hotels haven't figure this out yet.

2. Sound like conflicting hotel goals, not uncommon in my experience. Front desk is eager to serve and extend your checkout (per your rewards program's promise) while the housekeeping wants to get the job done and get home, especially in NYC where the unions have infiltrated the humble, but proud hard working profession.

Another conflict pet peeve is when the sales force gladly accepts weekend group stays at "business hotels", such as reunions, youth hockey or baseball, when the hotel would normally be empty and the hotel is understaffed and under prepared to serve an influx of many high energy guests.

Simply opening up an unused meeting room at no charge would be proactive, yet these hotels will insist on charging for the space and charging $25 for each tiny pizza instead of allowing for outside delivery. Hence, the "junior guests" have no where but the halls to congregate and the compliants from unaffilated guests pile up.

Been there many times.

Last edited by joshua362; Mar 23, 2007 at 5:38 pm
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:49 pm

My cousin was upgraded to a room with a view of Times Square on a high floor and he said now that it is silent - hopefully it stays that way. The Front Desk Manager also sent a cheese plate and a nice bottle of Cabernet - he also personally called my father and last night will NOT be on the bill. So it does work to voice a complaint - at least this time.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by DillMan
How does their "Frenchness" affect our perception of your description of the noise?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the French throw great parties and that's why there was so much noise?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.