Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by stevekoe
I have a friend staying at the Westin TS and I volunteered to pick her up at LGA and then head into the city for a day of fun. I may just use the parking at the PA like you suggested....easier than trying to find/feed a meter nearby.

Stevekoe
Don't even think of parking in the street in that area.

There are limited legal spaces, numerous restrictions and the signs are confusing as all hell.

Not only that, the civilians (officially part of the police dept.) who ticket for parking violations are zealots and in that area getting towed for a violation is just about guaranteed.

If you get towed the towing charge and the fine would pay for valet-parking a 747 at your girlfriend's hotel. (And that's not considering hoofing over to the out-of-the-way car pound to extricate your car or the time you'll waste there. And if they damage your car in the towing process good luck getting compensated.)
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Received!

UPS delivered today:

1 queen fitted

1 queen cover sheet

3 pillow cases

All in white!

Thanks, Marriott!
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:41 pm

Programs: HH Gld, MR Plt, PC Plt, AA Plt, CO Gld, Amtrk S+
Got them also!

They were sent by American Hotel Register Company, and by their Web Site I am guessing my Queen sheets cost Marriott roughly $73.00 - $87.00. Thanks Marriott!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:05 am

Programs: Delta MM
NYC Marriott Marquis for New Years

I was thinking about New Years 2007 and I wanted to price out a couple of room at the Marquis. On the website, it is already showing no availability at all. I am hoping they just block everything off and the hotel isn't actually full a full year out, but does anyone know how the Marquis works for New Years? Anyone ever spend the night there and have any lessons learned to share?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Does any Marriott have rooms loaded for New Years yet? I didn't think Marriott inventory got loaded this far out, but admittedly I'm no expert on this.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:07 am

I believe you are just about hitting it at the right time to book for next New Years Eve.

Try doing 2 or 3 nights. I've never seen them offer NYE for just one night alone. And make sure your room confirmation shows "view of the ball drop" or some similar wording if that's what you are hoping to get. (Times Square View alone may NOT get you the ball drop view....I just stayed in room 3035 and that had a perfect ball drop view.)

Rates will probably run about $500-600 per night btw.

(OK....edited, as I just checked the Marriott website for you. Rates are only loaded right now through Dec 31, 2006 for ANY Marriott stay. The Marquis is coming up with only one room choice, a $529 deluxe room that DOES NOT have a view of Times Square. They usually load the rooms on Saturdays, but I would make a phone call to Marriott right now if it is important to you to get a reservation. Again, be prepared that you may need to stay more than one night. If you wish to wait and do this on the web, you'll probably see availability appear after this Saturday's room load.)

Last edited by flyerwife; Jan 10, 2006 at 7:16 am Reason: add info
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta MM
Great tips flyerwife and exactly what I was hoping for. The note about ball drop view confirmation is especially important. Thanks. I just called and the rooms are not yet loaded in their system - currently goes to Dec 30 according to Plat line. Looks like I'll be calling this weekend.

Do you have any thoughts on whether high or low floors are better?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MR-PP, *wood Gold, Hertz Gold
We stayed at the Marquis for NYE 2000. It was tough getting a room since corporate had taken most of the rooms for VIPs, however, I was able to get one--albeit with a terrible view. Ended up outside for midnight. They did have a minimum 4 night stay--was around $500 then. Of course it was a special NYE, so I'm sure they jacked the price up.

If you get too high up, I think you will miss a lot of what goes on (assuming a nice view). I think the higher the better in most cases, but if I had a view on NYE, I would probably go lower (although there is the noise factor--I think they still hold parties in the atrium and of course there is the street noise).
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by John C
Do you have any thoughts on whether high or low floors are better?

I was on 30 this weekend looking at the ball (DOWN at the ball) and, while it would probably be fine for NYE, I probably wouldn't want to be much higher. Maybe somewhere between 20 and 30?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
We booked (early) in 1997-98 and were able to get a room for a week, leaving on the 2nd with points. Nothing compares to NYC at Christmas! Our room did not have a view, and we wanted to go down to Times Square anyway so it didn't matter. Done it once - never again! We froze

Bruce
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
New York Marquis Pestering

Just thougth I would share the following experience and see if anyone has complained about a similar experience and what the remedy/outcome was.

I was at the New York Marquis two weeks ago and was upgraded to a nice Times Square view suite at the top (which is the primary reason I never said anything about the issue I experienced). Well, on the day of checkout, I called and ask if it was ok to get a 1pm checkout (I didn't figure it would since I normally ask for a 2pm). No problem at all, she said she would make the notation, etc., etc.

For reference, I have the do not disturb sign on the door. Starting around 10am, lasting until the point I checked out at exactly 1pm, the following pestering occurred:
-Received a phone call asking when I would be checking out. I responded with "1pm just as I confirmed earlier".
-Received a knock on the door asking the same question. In a slightly more angry tone I responded in with the same and pointed to the do not disturb sign.
-As the housekeepers were cleaning nearby rooms that could be adjoined to the suite, they repeatedly opened the adjoining doors and attempted to open the door adjoining to my room (making one hell of a racket).
-Now a little later, approaching 12:30 - I get another call asking when I'm checking out, sounds like the same woman I spoke to earlier and obviously from housekeeping
-At 1pm, I leave, am walking down the hall, and was asked "Are you checking out of room #45??" I said "YES, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I AM CHECKING OUT". Again, sounded like the same woman that called twice.

As I write this I don't understand why I didn't say something (probably because I was trying to catch my car service), but anyone run into anything like this before?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: USAir Preferred, Marriott Platinum
Did you say anything to anyone as you left the building? I would have called immediately and spoke with someone "in the know" to find out what the hell was going on and why!

That has never happened to us there, though the last time we stayed there, the maintenance guys did come by to ask if it was ok to put in a new mattress. Now why they could not have waited until we checked out of our room, I dont know. Just seemed kinda odd to me to change it while people are in it, seems like you'd want to wait until that room is vacated and then change the mattress. But...nobody asked my opinion...
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Brutie
Did you say anything to anyone as you left the building? I would have called immediately and spoke with someone "in the know" to find out what the hell was going on and why!

That has never happened to us there, though the last time we stayed there, the maintenance guys did come by to ask if it was ok to put in a new mattress. Now why they could not have waited until we checked out of our room, I dont know. Just seemed kinda odd to me to change it while people are in it, seems like you'd want to wait until that room is vacated and then change the mattress. But...nobody asked my opinion...
Hah. I agree, that is a little strange. Otherwise, I have no issues with this property. The elevators seem to be much better now with the new system, rooms are nice, and lobby is nice. To answer your question, no, I probably should have but didn't say anything to the desk agent when I checked out.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I stay here for an annual event each spring. For the most part, everything has been fine. However, I've yet to experience a stay that didn't include a problem of some sort eminating from the front desk staff. Wrong rate, erroneous charges, points not posting, etc.

That said, I hasten to add that the front desk staff has been invariably gracious in assisting us with a wide variety of needs and requests....including platinum room upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
I had a late checkout in early November and no one bothered me. The only thing I did not get was my bill by EMAIL as promised and it has taked a couple of phone calls to get that done. The staff was good overall I thought

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.