Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lililolo
I had a friend a few years back worked for the Marriott and she was able to get me an employee rate for a couple occasions. I made the reservation with a [proprietary code], then I told her the exact date of our stay. She had to have her supervisor (?) issued a letter stating the name, the hotel and the date for my discount. The front desk asked for the letter when we checked-in.

The discount was decent, but not great, it all depends on location.
A Marriott employee offered me the friends/family rate & there was the necessary paperwork that I had to bring w/. As w/ this poster, the letter was asked for on check-in.

I wouldn't try it if I were you. Besides having to pay rack rate, you would get your roommate in trouble if not fired. BTW - does the roomie know you're actually posting about this on a public BB that Marriott reads? Something tells me said roommate would be rescinding the offer very quickly if she knew.

Cheers.

Last edited by bdschobel; Nov 23, 2009 at 6:08 am Reason: removed proprietary code
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:41 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
Marriott properties require documentation from the hotel (where your roommate works) before they will allow someone to use an employee rate or friends and family rate. If you show up without the right documents it's likely they will require you to pay a rack rate.

My DIL worked for a Marriott property a few years ago and there are definite steps to follow before friends and family can get a discount. Just using her employee discount card won't get you the Marriott employee rate.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by m3coup
I'm going on a trip next week and my roommate gave me her employee discount card that doesn't have her name on it but have the rest filled out. Would I be able to use it after booking with [proprietary code]? Thanks for any info.
Your friend would lose their job if this were discovered. Book the friends & family rate and take a room rate authorization form from your friends HR dept, they are also good rates.

It's because of people like your friend that one day us honest employees will lose this job perk.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
if you do go ahead with this and ymmv on your success or not

have a back up plan where if you are denied check in; make sure you can still cancel the rez; make sure you have another place to go and also be sure that you can cancel that reservation if you are successful using the marriott employee rate/card etc

good luck.. i'd be curious to see if you can pull it off
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:39 am

This is shocking but I am not surprised, however showing up with one's ID card only will land you in Rack Rate, so better have the form with you, otherwise there will be issues..
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:45 pm

employee

I work with Marriott.

You can only use an employee discount card if you are an employee. You need to show id and book with a special rate. They will then make photo copies of both your id and your discount card.

There is a friends and family form you need to have to get the rate. Your friend can go to their Human Resource department and ask for a form. you will then book with that special rate. Keep in mind, you are a reflection of that friend. This mean no causing any type of trouble since your friend can get reported and in trouble.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by chloecarter
I work with Marriott.

You can only use an employee discount card if you are an employee. You need to show id and book with a special rate. They will then make photo copies of both your id and your discount card.

There is a friends and family form you need to have to get the rate. Your friend can go to their Human Resource department and ask for a form. you will then book with that special rate. Keep in mind, you are a reflection of that friend. This mean no causing any type of trouble since your friend can get reported and in trouble.
Hopefully you will continue to post as an "Unofficial" marriott rep; or at least as someone who can tell us whats really happening or supposed to happen at marriott properties at least for the type of property you work for (FS etc)

your posts could be quite value added to this forum
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by m3coup
I'm going on a trip next week and my roommate gave me her employee discount card that doesn't have her name on it but have the rest filled out. Would I be able to use it after booking with [proprietary code]? Thanks for any info.
Why give someone the discount card without the full instructions on what is required to secure a employee rate? Am I the only one wondering if the roommate knows her discount card is misssing?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:59 pm

Disounts for associates

In the fine print of these discounted rates for associates is the warning that misuse constitutes fraud and that the associate is liable for both the use of the discount and the behavior of the person using the discount (assuming that they are not the associate). I would hesitate to use anything that is not rightly yours--especially when the use of this form violates specific terms and conditions of Marriott employment and can result in disciplinary action up to termination for the employee.

As I understand it these are audited heavily by corporate and patterns are quickly noted. Best advice, pay rack rate and save the hassle and consequences!^
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ernestb
This is shocking but I am not surprised,
+1.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

Maybe it's now time for this thread to die and be closed forever.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yeah, whatever points were to be made have been made. Good-night.

Bruce
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Does "Friends and Family" rate qualify for points?

I've stayed on the Friends and Family rate at over 15 different locations and I have never had a problem with it. Just stayed at the Marriott North Bethesda and was told it would qualify and then it didn't. Called Marriott rewards and was told that Friends and Family rates don't officially qualify and it's up to the individual hotel to decide.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:52 am Reason: removed proprietary code
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Qualify for what? Points, night credit, both or something else?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:43 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Qualify for what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.