Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:38 am

The date is less then 60 days. If it come to it I will use my points and cash.

Thanks for all your input...

g
Old Sep 15, 2004, 3:52 pm

What about # nights credit?

I am happy I found this thread - I came in here wondering if I could earn Marriott Rewards pts with a Friends & Family rate.

My 2nd question is - will the nights count towards renewal of my status?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2004, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Endor
I am happy I found this thread - I came in here wondering if I could earn Marriott Rewards pts with a Friends & Family rate.

My 2nd question is - will the nights count towards renewal of my status?

Thanks!
In my case, the entire rate + incidentals posted, I received a 25% elite bonus, and the nights counted towards elite status. Rate code: MMF.

I was only expecting incidentals and don't care about the elite-nights (they won't make or break a status level for me), so being awarded points on the base rate was an unexpected bonus.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Now we know. . .

Ahhh HA! So that is who is getting the suite upgrades. They are holding them for employees and their guests on uber low rates.

Now Marriott joins United as the market leaders in employee class!!

Originally Posted by FlyWithoutWings
Oh, and P.S. - With regard to another topic I see posted here a lot, I got upgraded to a King Suite on my Friends & Family rate.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:56 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Actually Hyatt is the leader of employee class. According to my sister who is an employee of Hyatt, Hyatt employees are considered VIP2s, VIP1s being Hyatt executives/regional managers. VIP3s are CEOs, CFOs and others who control travel budgets followed by VIPs who are their Diamond members and some others. So you can you see who has priority for upgrades, etc.... I wouldn't be surprised if Marriott does something similar.

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Ahhh HA! So that is who is getting the suite upgrades. They are holding them for employees and their guests on uber low rates.

Now Marriott joins United as the market leaders in employee class!!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:44 am

Re-posted in a more appropriate thread

Last edited by honu; Sep 17, 2004 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by zakami
Actually Hyatt is the leader of employee class. According to my sister who is an employee of Hyatt, Hyatt employees are considered VIP2s, VIP1s being Hyatt executives/regional managers. VIP3s are CEOs, CFOs and others who control travel budgets followed by VIPs who are their Diamond members and some others. So you can you see who has priority for upgrades, etc.... I wouldn't be surprised if Marriott does something similar.
Trust me that for the majority Marriott associates are not treated that well with room choices. Naturally if its the middle of January in Des Moines, IA and the hotel is 30% occupied and you ask for an upgrade or if you put the upgrade code on your reservation in MARSHA you may get something.
But if the hotel has to walk someone, place someone in a smoking room, a handicapped accessible room, or give you a view of a brick wall out of your room window it's going to be the associate 10 times out of 10.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by zakami
I can assure you that isn't the case
Old May 19, 2005, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Do you check the Friends & Family rate out of curiousity?

I see the rate codes thread is now a sticky.

Do you ever check the friends and family or Marriot Associate rates when looking to book a hotel? I almost always do, even though I know I won't be able to use the rate. I like to see how the rate I am getting compares to the "best rate" available.

I was pretty happy on a recent reservation when my rate was only $1.00 higher than one rate and only $6.00 higher than the other rate.

Last edited by bdschobel; Sep 8, 2018 at 8:44 am Reason: removed rate codes
Old May 19, 2005, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I do the same thing. I usually query a bunch of rate codes out of pure curiosity. I always like reading the cryptic descriptions on some of the LPRs.

I actually do have a friend who works at Marriott (corporate). She has always said "Anytime you need it, I'll get you authorization for MMF."

I've taken her up on it once - a four-night weeknight stay in Seattle when we really wanted to be downtown. It's one of those favors I only feel comfortable calling in once in a blue moon.
Old May 19, 2005, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've taken her up on it once - a four-night weeknight stay in Seattle when we really wanted to be downtown. It's one of those favors I only feel comfortable calling in once in a blue moon.
I've done pretty much the same thing. My contact at Marriott is more of an "acquaintance" than a friend, but he gave me the "anytime you want" line as well.

I've only taken him on on it once as well. As you say, a privledge you don't want to abuse. In my case, it was actually a business trip where the client thought the LaQuinta would be just fine for 4 nights. I thought the Marriott would be much better, but at $189, compared to $79 for the LaQuinta, it wasn't going to fly. Surprise, surprise, surprise..... MMF was $69, so I got a fantastic rate and didn't have to stay at the LaQuinta.
Old May 19, 2005, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Do these rates apply to Ritz Carlton properties, too?
Old May 19, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by Blumie
Do these rates apply to Ritz Carlton properties, too?
Nope. Even Marriott employees (let alone F&F) have trouble getting associate rate at R-C...
Old May 19, 2005, 7:06 pm

Although the full associate rate isn't eligible for points, the friends and family rate is. Apparently, this hasn't always been the case. A couple of years ago, corporate decided that F&F would be eligible for points, but a lot of hotel employees (and their computer systems) have never been updated/informed. Frequently, you have to chase down F&F stay credits with the MR office.
Old May 19, 2005, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by A Traveller
Although the full associate rate isn't eligible for points, the friends and family rate is. Apparently, this hasn't always been the case. A couple of years ago, corporate decided that F&F would be eligible for points, but a lot of hotel employees (and their computer systems) have never been updated/informed. Frequently, you have to chase down F&F stay credits with the MR office.
When I checked in on my one F&F stay, the clerk did not want to put my MR number in the folio - he said F&F rates do not earn points. He was friendly - provided us a nice room on the C-level, so I didn't argue - I figured going in that the rate didn't earn points, and we rarely incur any hotel charges.

But we didn't count on meeting a few friendly fellow travelers and discovering that Marriott's bartender poured exceptionally generous drinks. So at checkout, I was able to get them to add it back on so I'd get credit for the incidentals.

Much to my surprise, I received points and stay credit on the rate as well as the incidentals. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.