Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Sorry for being cryptic.
I was told by the Marriott Rewards line that it was the Hotel's discretion with regards to Elite Nights and points for the hotel stay.
The only thing I got points for was incidentals.

Just called the Hotel and Marriott Rewards. They cleared it up. They just told me I'll see my points and Elite Nights tomorrow morning.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Friends and Family rate is always eligible for points and night credits towards elite status. Years ago many properties used to get it wrong and I'd have them call the MR Plat. Line to straighten it out. Fast forward to today, it has been a long time since I have been at a property that doesn't know how to properly process Friends and Family rate. On the otherhand, if you qualify for Child of Associate (or anything else that is the equivalent of the Marriott Associate Pleasure Rate), you won't get points nor night credits towards elise status. That rate is not eligible.

--Jon
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I've never had a problem getting elite nights or points credit. However, I have had issues with getting the Friends and Family rate when I've tried to use it due to lost certificates. I haven't used the Friends and Family rate in about three years because of this. The last time I did, of the six properties where I used the Friends and Family rate, four complained about not having received the certificate. One took my word for it, but the others were set to charge the full room rate if I couldn't produce the certificate within 24 hours. Of course this travel occurred between Christmas and New Years when my relative was on vacation himself.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Does Marriott still use paper Friends and Family sheets, or are those electronic now like the rewards certificates? I recall some yellow paper being issued with the confirmation number that the employee and the employee's manager both had to sign that was faxed to the property directly and kept in the same binder as the rewards certificates.

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:53 am Reason: removed proprietary code (four times!)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Enterprise
Originally Posted by Majuki
Does Marriott still use paper Friends and Family sheets, or are those electronic now like the rewards certificates?
Still paper, at least in my experience. Only diff is that the associate e-mails them to me and I do the printing

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:54 am Reason: removed proprietary code from quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by ejh25
I've stayed on the Friends and Family rate at over 15 different locations and I have never had a problem with it. Just stayed at the Marriott North Bethesda and was told it would qualify and then it didn't. Called Marriott rewards and was told that Friends and Family rates don't officially qualify and it's up to the individual hotel to decide.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.
I worked at Omaha Rez (Platinum) up until fall 2007. IIRC: Friends and Family Type 1 nights counted toward status and you earned points.

Friends and Family Type 2: counted toward status but you didn't earn points.

But like everything else, it depended on the person at the desk of every individual property. I earned points on Friends and Family Type 2 stays more often than I could count, got upgraded at the STL Ren, Kona FS and Omaha FS and at the Dallas Quorum, I even got a Silver Arrival gift

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:55 am Reason: removed proprietary code (a million times)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by sixsixsixtynine
I worked at Omaha Rez (Platinum) up until fall 2007. IIRC: Friends and Family Type 1 nights counted toward status and you earned points.

Friends and Family Type 2: counted toward status but you didn't earn points.

But like everything else, it depended on the person at the desk of every individual property. I earned points on Friends and Family Type 2 stays more often than I could count, got upgraded at the STL Ren, Kona FS and Omaha FS and at the Dallas Quorum, I even got a Silver Arrival gift
How have you gotten stay credit towards status with Friends and Family Type 2? I have used this rate many times but never gotten credit. Even when the front desk clerk who is checking me in, goes through the full platinum routine including offering me points for my arrival gift, I never get stay credit nor points. I.e. the clerk wasn't trying to process me to get points and stay credit, but they never post. Don't get me wrong, the rate is typically so low compared to even Friends and Family Type 1 that I don't expect anything else. Never the less, if there is a legit. way for me to get credits for the nights, that would be great! Do tell....

--Jon

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:57 am Reason: fixed quote and removed proprietary codes
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
How have you gotten stay credit towards status with Friends and Family Type 2? I have used this rate many times but never gotten credit. Even when the front desk clerk who is checking me in, goes through the full platinum routine including offering me points for my arrival gift, I never get stay credit nor points. I.e. the clerk wasn't trying to process me to get points and stay credit, but they never post. Don't get me wrong, the rate is typically so low compared to even Friends and Family Type 1 that I don't expect anything else. Never the less, if there is a legit. way for me to get credits for the nights, that would be great! Do tell....--Jon
It was a long time ago, and somewhat lost to the fog of time, but I swear I got the night credit more often than not. It was one of those 'don't ask, don't tell' deals, and in that spirit I wasn't checking my statement too close.

I do remember the front desk at the Omaha FS specifically asking me if I wanted 'Friends and Family and status and points and $79 room rate or Friends and Family and no points and a $49 room rate?' But since that's down the street from the Rez Center I'm sure they were used to it. However, that was while I was a probie, and I had made the reservation as an Friends and Family because that's what I was entitled to per my job benefits. The front desk gave me a choice that I wasn't expecting but I didn't quibble--$30 is $30, especially since I was using wifey's Marriott Chase Visa!

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:58 am Reason: removed proprietary code
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
just for the record...friends and family DOES earn points/stay credit and you do receive all benefits of your status

the Associate rate only earns points on incidentals but you do receive all benefits of your status

but please remember both rates are for leisure stays only, if the benefit is mis-used the associate who provided the authoriation form could loose their job and you might end up paying a much higher rate
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Whew, way too much editing of this thread!!! I'm worn out!

Please do not post proprietary codes. It just encourages -- or perhaps tempts -- unauthorized people to use them, potentially causing problems for the user, the hotel, Marriott and Flyertalk. No need for any of that.

Bruce
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Please do not post proprietary codes. It just encourages -- or perhaps tempts -- unauthorized people to use them, potentially causing problems for the user, the hotel, Marriott and Flyertalk. No need for any of that.
I get blasted for not using/understand acronyms on this website, and then I get blasted for using them. Perhaps it's time to go back to lurking...

I will keep this in mind for future posts, but I didn't think the rate codes were exactly a highly guarded secret.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Some rate codes are clearly public (like S4B or M11); others clearly are not. Non-public codes should not be posted because doing so undermines the integrity of Marriott's reservations system. It's just not fair.

Bruce
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Some rate codes are clearly public (like S4B or M11); others clearly are not. Non-public codes should not be posted because doing so undermines the integrity of Marriott's reservations system. It's just not fair.

Bruce
I guess I started it. Sorry.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Do Marriott "Friends and Family" rates get credit?

I've used Marriott "Friends and Family" rates several times and always gotten stay and room rate credit. Today, I checked into a courtyard overseas and they told me i won't get credit. is that correct? is there a way to get credit? i'm here for a week and really really need the nights to count!

Last edited by bdschobel; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:43 am Reason: remove proprietary code
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Unless there is something unusual, Yes.

My brother worked for Marriott. When I used those rates, I got points for the stay. But the discount generally is $10 to $20 off the room per night, in most cases. I stayed in Grand Cayman and got points for the stay.

But.. if you are already there, don't you need the form?

Last edited by bdschobel; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:46 am Reason: remove proprietary code
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just send your folio to MR & they'll credit you. Also, you might want to edit your post because not everyone is entitled to that code.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.