Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:40 pm
  #76  
Used to be bulldoggolfer05
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Săo Paulo, BR/Miami Beach, FL/NYC/DXB
Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Posts: 2,295
Originally Posted by wonderbret
I worked for Marriott just over 18 months ago, as of then there were no points for certain rates. Sorry, but I would doubt this would change.
As to whether or not the points post and correctly YMMV, in my experience they have and as denoted by the dummy booking I just made they should. I also "recently" worked with Marriott again (about a year ago) and questioned this myself when I saw MR numbers attached to certain rates but was told that under new rules non-employees were in fact entitled to points under the MR system. Again as to whether or not you actually receive these points, YMMV, but if you have your number attached to the reservation, you are still entitled to the elite benefits such as room upgrade, lounge access, etc.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jun 7, 2008 at 8:21 pm Reason: removed confidential rate code, thread is OK without it
NDDomer86 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:06 am
  #77  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Posts: 41,109
I am pretty much 99.99% sure that mine posted as points and stay credit
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:54 am
  #78  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,291
Friends and Family rate earns points.
gleff is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:33 pm
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by gleff
Friends and Family rate earns points.
Sorry..had a brain fart yesterday..gleff is correct...do earn points/stay credit...the Associate rate DOES not earn anything except on incidentals
socrates is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:34 pm
  #80  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 70,870
I can also verify this since I was on a Family/Friend rate when attending the '08 Freddies & did indeed receive points. Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:56 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 2,256
I use the friends and family rate all of the time for my leisure stays. It does qualify for points and stay credit. Most hotels process it properly without any issues these days. A few years ago, many did not process it properly. I believe that was about the time Marriott switched the rate over from being ineligible to being eligible for points and stay credit.

--Jon


P.S. Employee rates definitely do not qualify for points nor stay credits.

P.P.S. Freinds and Family rate while still nice is not as good as it used to be. First of all far fewer properties seem to be making it available. Secondly even when it is availble rates of $89+/night for limited service hotels is very common. it used to be easy to find a $59/night or $69/night rate.
Jon Maiman is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:37 pm
  #82  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I use the friends and family rate all of the time for my leisure stays. It does qualify for points and stay credit. Most hotels process it properly without any issues these days. A few years ago, many did not process it properly. I believe that was about the time Marriott switched the rate over from being ineligible to being eligible for points and stay credit.

--Jon


P.S. Employee rates definitely do not qualify for points nor stay credits.

P.P.S. Freinds and Family rate while still nice is not as good as it used to be. First of all far fewer properties seem to be making it available. Secondly even when it is availble rates of $89+/night for limited service hotels is very common. it used to be easy to find a $59/night or $69/night rate.
FYI - hotels are free to offer or not offer a F&F rate, they are also free to price is as they wish
socrates is offline  
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:34 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
Posts: 662
to start: Thanks to the mods for editing my post. I thought certain codes were on the list of publicly usable codes but I just checked...and they arent. Sorry.

Its nice to see that the F&F rate earns points. I cant say that Im surprised that employee rates dont earn points since Marriott is the only (I believe) chain that doesnt allow employees to have a rewards account. I can't speak to Hilton but IHG and *wood mandate it.
wonderbret is offline  
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:20 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 2,256
Originally Posted by socrates
FYI - hotels are free to offer or not offer a F&F rate, they are also free to price is as they wish
Understood and never thought otherwise. From a consumer perspective, the rates have become less attractive and less of an incentive. I have only done one hhonors stay so far, but I now also consider Hampton Inn (or other hhnonors properties) when I can't get a decent Marriott Rate even with Friends and Family. There is a lot of rate variation based on the timining and locality but there are definitely instances where I can do better at Hampton. I now have enough stays in a typical year that I can add in a real secondary program. Bottomline, the higher rates have caused me to start shopping rather than only book Marriott. I still generally like Marriott and always use them for business whenever I get to select the hotel.

--Jon
Jon Maiman is offline  
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:12 pm
  #85  
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,083
To echo what others have said, the Friends & Family Rate does qualify for points. Associate rates do not.


Ira
Marriott Concierge is offline  
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:59 pm
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Understood and never thought otherwise. From a consumer perspective, the rates have become less attractive and less of an incentive. I have only done one hhonors stay so far, but I now also consider Hampton Inn (or other hhnonors properties) when I can't get a decent Marriott Rate even with Friends and Family. There is a lot of rate variation based on the timining and locality but there are definitely instances where I can do better at Hampton. I now have enough stays in a typical year that I can add in a real secondary program. Bottomline, the higher rates have caused me to start shopping rather than only book Marriott. I still generally like Marriott and always use them for business whenever I get to select the hotel.

--Jon
I completely understand your point however the program was never intended to be a revenue generating source, instead it's a benefit and should be viewed as one - in most cases the rates extended are at a substantial discount
socrates is offline  
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:32 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
What is the "Friends & Neighbors" rate?

Just got a great rate "Family & Neighbors" at Marriott.com
What is this rate/promo?
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:41 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,279
I believe it's for people who reside within a certain radius of the hotel. I recall, you must provide proof of residency.
imverge is offline  
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:49 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
Could residing in another time zone a good indication that I don't live in that radius?
I have lots of family in Boston, how about that?
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:20 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DEN, MCO
Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Could residing in another time zone a good indication that I don't live in that radius?
I have lots of family in Boston, how about that?
Not sure but I think you may be talking about rate code MMR (Friends & Family) although I've also seen that code listed as M&M, MARS and Masterfoods USA - seems to vary by property. The Friends & Family rate is for employees to extend a discount rate to their friends & family IIRC. Can't seem to find the exact rules for it though. I have a friend that works for Marriott and I've used the rate before but it doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be so haven't used it in awhile. Don't remember what documentation (if any) I had to provide at check-in but I seem to recall that I got points and everything for the stay.
World_Traveler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.