Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:53 am
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
I don't have the code, but you better show up with the required paperwork from the hotel where your friend works. If you don't have it when you check it they'll bump you to a much higher rate.

DIL used to work for Marriott & one time we traveled without the paperwork and were denied the rate on check-in.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just a reminder. Friends & family rate earns points. Associate rate does not.

Also, every time I've (legitimately) used the family & friend rate I've been asked for the form at check-in (which I've had with me). Form has to be sent to you by the friend & it requires the friend's manager to sign-off on it I believe. The form is good for 60 days, so don't request it from your friend until you're within the 60 day window.

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by allurerot
hi, can anybody send me the friends an family code for marriott?
i was given the code by an employee of marriott, but i wrote down the wrong code. i can't get in contact with the friend right now and i have to book a hotel

thanks for your help
ask the employee who gave you the code (you'll need to obtain the form from them anyways)
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If she is the employee, what can't she try calling the property?
That can go either way... Sometimes they help, sometimes this just pisses them off. Their logic is if the rate is available then it's bookable online. I'd use this tactic sparingly based on experience.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:31 pm
LKO

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Also, every time I've (legitimately) used the family & friend rate I've been asked for the form at check-in (which I've had with me). Form has to be sent to you by the friend & it requires the friend's manager to sign-off on it I believe. The form is good for 60 days, so don't request it from your friend until you're within the 60 day window.
My experience has been the same as Sharon's. When you check-in using a friends & family rate you will be expected to provide a form that has been signed by the manager where your friend works. Without it they'll bump you to a higher rate.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by User Name
That can go either way... Sometimes they help, sometimes this just pisses them off. Their logic is if the rate is available then it's bookable online. I'd use this tactic sparingly based on experience.
if the rate is not available online, then calling would be a no lose situation

if its not available they are no further behind than before, if they manage to snag a room then they win

I don't see this pissing anyone off
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:23 am

if its not available they are no further behind than before, if they manage to snag a room then they win

It does piss people off - quite commonly. It's quite amusing, really, to see the way many properties have worded the rate rules for their Associate rates - capital letters telling people not to call if they don't see the rate online, with lots of exclamation points. Not sure if they realize these borderline rants are publicly viewable.

Anyway - semi-common scenario: You call asking for an Associate rate. Person answering sees it's not available, so asks for name, property and contact details of Associate before they pass the details onto the property's Revenue Manager. You then leave the Associate open to having their boss receive a call from a pissed off Revenue Manager who was having a bad day anyway before the 10th such request landed on her desk due to her property being in a sought after and high-occupancy location.

Rarely leads to success - more likely to cause aggro - best left as a last resort as I said. The correct procedure is to book online, and that is the procedure for good reason. In this, Marriott has a far better employee booking system than some other brands - and I'd hate to see it reeled in due to too many people trying to short-cut the system.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by User Name
The correct procedure is to book online, and that is the procedure for good reason.
I don't think anyone is saying that the online tool should not be used. The issue is the times when the online tool shows no availability.

And I just don't see GMs getting irate just because someone asked if it was possible to open a night or few nights for the rate. I've asked GMs quite a few times if they would be willing to open up an award night for a stay where I could get all but one or two nights with awards. While they haven't always been able to do that, I've had a few do that for me. And AFAIK, no GM has ever gotten irate just because I asked. (Of course, I don't argue the point if they say no. I just offer my thanks and move on.)
Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, SPG, Hhonors, Priority Club, Delta Skymiles, Hertz
At one of the properties I worked at, I got a request at least once a week from someone looking for an employee room. I was one of 4 managers that would take those calls, so who knows how many came into the hotel. In most cases, we were almost sold out and selling at full rack rate. An employee discount isn't likely to happen under those circumstances. It took time out of my already busy day, and usually left the employee upset that there wasn't an exception granted. I would never call a property for a room. I know what it is like to be on the other end of those calls.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by XHotelManager
At one of the properties I worked at, I got a request at least once a week from someone looking for an employee room. I was one of 4 managers that would take those calls, so who knows how many came into the hotel. In most cases, we were almost sold out and selling at full rack rate. An employee discount isn't likely to happen under those circumstances. It took time out of my already busy day, and usually left the employee upset that there wasn't an exception granted. I would never call a property for a room. I know what it is like to be on the other end of those calls.
Thanks for real life input.

Cheers.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't think anyone is saying that the online tool should not be used. The issue is the times when the online tool shows no availability.

And I just don't see GMs getting irate just because someone asked if it was possible to open a night or few nights for the rate. I've asked GMs quite a few times if they would be willing to open up an award night for a stay where I could get all but one or two nights with awards. While they haven't always been able to do that, I've had a few do that for me. And AFAIK, no GM has ever gotten irate just because I asked. (Of course, I don't argue the point if they say no. I just offer my thanks and move on.)
Do you have any personal experience in employees phoning Marriott properties for unlisted Associate rates? Just curious.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Associates "know the policy"...if it's available it's available....unless you're calling in a favor calling wont work and is likely to urk the general manager of the hotel as you wouldn't believe the number of calls like this they receive on a daily basis - the associate rate is a benefit....now calling to ask "hey I want to come to your city and am really flexible on dates - could you suggest when the associate rate might be available" is completely different than "I need a room on Saturday at the associate rate"
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01

big difference between somone using points and an associate...a guest with points represents someone generating a lot of revenue for the company - someone asking to use a benefit while valuable should understand the company will not be able to provide benefits in the future if they dont take care of non-associate guests first
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:49 am

What type ID required for Marriott Associates rate?

I'm traveling to Toronto. I've found hotel in downtown with [Marriott Associates] rate code. What type ID required at check Inn. I mean does it require any type of information from Marriott employees or special card to show at check Inn. Thank you.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jul 12, 2011 at 9:03 am Reason: removed proprietary code
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:02 pm
LKO

I think that's a rate code for Marriott employees & they are required to have documentation from their manager when they check in. This code is not available for the general public.

If you try to use this code without the required documentation you'll most likely be denied the rate and bumped to a much higher rate.

I suggest you check out the "rate rules" when you try to book and see if you qualify for the rate offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.