Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 4getofn
Socrates ... So if I have a friend that is an employee, I can get the "friend and family rate" ? By "correct ID" what do you mean ?
that is correct - I'd rather not publically post what "correct ID" is but your friend will be able to explain it further
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LKO
An employee would likely lose his/her job if caught selling his employee privileges for $$. You'd be willing to put someone in that position?

You seriously think in this economy someone would be willing to risk their job for $350?
Nothing likely about it...they would lose their job
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
Is the Friends and Family rate that significant? My daughter has a close friend whose mom works for Marriott, should I be buddying up with her parents
the rates are to be used for Pleasure only - not for business purposes (they are a benefit to the associates)
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just thought I'd share...as a result of this thread I received a PVT from an individual offering me $$$ to provide a friends and family form...before I could respond I received a 2nd pvt...best of luck Mr/Mrs XXXXX (I honestly mean this - I'm just not willing to risk my families financials over something so minor)....over my years I have seen folks do really silly things with their benefits which have ended up costing them dearly (not that this threat impacted my decision)

Originally Posted by XXXXX
We are leaving tomorrow, Either way, although obviously it would have been better if we could save some money as we are starting a family.

Originally Posted by socrates
Hi, are you a Marriott associate or a Ritz?
Yes to both and no to both...I'm retired but still active in the industry but before I retired from MI I had worked with all of the divisions including Ritz-Carlton (still have a ritzcarlton.com email address)
XXXXX,

I can understand and respect the desire to save money and start a family however Marriott International has provided for my family over the years and I'm just not willing to risk my families well being - sorry

I guess you also believe it is unethical to request the friends and family rate for a compensation? I can pay you $350 for the trouble.

Hi, are you a Marriott associate or a Ritz?
Yes to both and no to both...I'm retired but still active in the industry but before I retired from MI I had worked with all of the divisions including Ritz-Carlton (still have a ritzcarlton.com email address)
While it is against the SOP I'm left wondering why you'd be willing to spend so much - would seem to me that woudl really minimize the amount you're trying to save

Last edited by socrates; Dec 8, 2011 at 11:40 am
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by I_love_marriott
Hello,

friend's friend is no longer employed by Marriott as of May 2011. Can anybody tell me for certain if we will be denied or the front desk will know if the employee is no longer valid??
Yes you'll be denied at the front desk because you won't have the authorization paperwork since the friend's friend is no longer an employee & can't provide it to you. Be prepared to pay rack rate or any other publicly available rate.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's better approach is to find a hotel which has a rate which OP can afford and stay there.
What s/he said.

Originally Posted by 4getofn
Socrates ... So if I have a friend that is an employee, I can get the "friend and family rate" ? By "correct ID" what do you mean ?
Just because you have a friend who is an employee doesn't automatically mean you can get the family & friend rate. The employee has to agree & for all you know, they're letting close family & friends use it & not general friends.

Correct ID is the proper authorization form that has to be signed off by the employee's boss & has a end by date. If you don't have that with you at check-in, you'll be paying rack rate.

Originally Posted by Mika80
I know it's unethical but I would pay $350 to whoever can hook me up with the Friends and family rate, no jokes -- Sorry for being soo unethical ...
Not only is it unethical, it violates FT's TOS & you could get a warning or suspended from FT.

Not to mention the F&F rate usually covers a specific timeframe/stay - it's not good the entire year - so if you're paying $350, how much $$ are you actually saving on a stay?

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
Is the Friends and Family rate that significant? My daughter has a close friend whose mom works for Marriott, should I be buddying up with her parents
Well you might be way behind in the queue of people buddying up w/ her parents

the rates are to be used for Pleasure only - not for business purposes (they are a benefit to the associates)
What he said.

I have a friend who works for Marriott. While he's willing to let me use the F&F rate more than once, I usually ask one time a year if I'm on vacation overseas where the exchange rate kicks the US$$. I don't take advantage of him.

Something else to be noted - just because someone is willing to offer you the family & friends rate, it doesn't mean that it's good at all properties &/or that it will be lower by much than regular rates, or at all if there's a local promotion going one.

For example, if you plug in the family & friends code for London you better like staying out at Heathrow or in the boonies because the central London properties don't come up as available for that rate. Also when I was in Europe this past summer & legitimately had the form, a few of the hotels I ended up booking normally because it turns out the AAA rate was better than the family & friend rate when I did the booking. Where I did use the family & friend rate it helped.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by USFreak
This thread is beyond ludicrous. Unethical and it is fraud....let's not bring this to flyertalk, folks.
I totally agree. I could delete all the posts discussing this unethical behavior, but I prefer to leave them in place as an object lesson. But, at this point, let's put the subject to bed. Say good-night.

Bruce
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I have, legitimately, used both Associate and Friends & Family rates for a combined total of literally hundreds of stays over a good number of years, in the US, Canada, Europe and throughout Asia. I can honestly say that I have been asked to produce the relevent form on each and every single occasion without exception. I know the OP posted a while ago now, but I wanted to state this for future readers - there is no way you will get away with this kind of shenanigans at Marriott.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
I use this rate all the time as well. There is a code that goes in the "Corporate/ promotional code" box when searching for reservations online. If there is no inventory for this bucket then you can't use the F&F rate. It's that simple.

Like others have said, if you don't have the form at check-in, you're rate will be bumped up to rack. Don't use the code unless you have a legitimate form. You won't get away with it. All desk clerks are required to ask for the forms and they always do.

Some hotels have a policy of not releasing these rates until 60 days prior to arrival along with some projected vacancy threshold.

The form can NOT be faxed to the hotel but the policy now allows Marriott employees to forward PDFs to their F&F which can subsequently be printed out and presented at check-in.

F&F rates can be slightly better than AAA rates to significantly better. I've seen over 50% off at times but generally we're looking at 20-30% off.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by dd992emo
oyfi. Yes. it. is.

Yes, I exceed the speed limit at times. I've rolled through a few stop signs. That makes me a speeder and a roller. But, I'm not a thief. ^
+1
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Though I condemn both and they can occur together, fraud and theft are two distinct crimes.
Indeed, my dog is often guilty of theft, but isn't smart enough to commit fraud.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:02 pm

how to get the marriot associates friends and family rate?

I am planning to stay at Prague Marriot next weekend and have already booked room for 3 nights at a good deal. But now my plans have changed so I will be arriving there one night earlier. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't have any special deal for the earlier night and when i called Prague Marriot directly to see if they are willing to offer a special rate (since the Hilton right across the street is offering same room for about $145 whereas at Marriot Prague it would be a little over $200), they said they don't match prices and can't give any lower rate than whatever is available on their website.

So now I have been scouring the internet trying to find any kind of promotional code I can use on the Marriot website for that night. The one I came across that will give a hefty discount is Friends & Family Rate, but the rate rules says:

Marriott Associate Friends & Family Rate -
- This rate is for non-immediate family members and friends
traveling on pleasure only - not for business travel.
- ID is required - authorization forms are available at each
associates Human Resources office and the original form
(no photocopies or faxes) must be presented at checkin along
with a valid photo ID (such as a drivers license)

So not sure if this means it has to come from someone who actually works in Marriot and you need the Marriot employee to get some kind of form for the guest to bring to hotel?

Does anyone know anything about this or can offer any kind of advise on how to get a more reasonable rate from Marriot? It seems silly that the hotel would rather I stay elsewhere for one night instead of trying to come close to what Hilton is offering (it's a $60 difference, and if they were willing to close the gap to maybe $30 or so, I would probably just do it).

Last edited by bdschobel; Dec 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm Reason: removed proprietary code
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Friends and Family is like it sounds, for friends and family of Marriott employee.
There is a form they give you and if you do not have it you can not use that rate.

One option is to call the hotel direct and see if they can work something out on a better rate.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:44 pm

thanks. I did call the hotel directly and the person on the other end was not very helpful in that she just looked at whatever rate was on the system and said that's the best she can do. The first rate she gave me was not even the lowest available on the web and I had to point it out to her. So not sure if she is just a junior person or if marriot prague just don't have the culture to try to match lower prices.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by zen_nj
thanks. I did call the hotel directly and the person on the other end was not very helpful in that she just looked at whatever rate was on the system and said that's the best she can do. The first rate she gave me was not even the lowest available on the web and I had to point it out to her. So not sure if she is just a junior person or if marriot prague just don't have the culture to try to match lower prices.
This may not be the best idea but why not just do a BRG (best rate guarantee) and look for cheaper prices and send it to the marriott brg people. You can submit prices you see on expedia or other hotel sites and hopefully they match it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Really, haven't we had about enough of "how do I get the Friends and Family Rate" threads? I'm pretty tired of them. Say good-night.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.