Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Sorry for the delay in posting.

I used Peru Trek 4 Good based off recommendations on TripAdvisor. They charged me $150/day for a driver and english speaking tour guide to basically take us wherever we wanted. We did everything a bit rushed, but were easily able to fit it all in since we moved at are own pace and could decide where we wanted to spend the most time and leave when we started to get bored. It was also nice to have a separate driver to watch our bags and pull around the car when we were ready.

I contacted several other reputable sounding drivers who were in a similar price range (although slightly less) so it seemed to be the going rate.

PM me if you want more info.

BTW, I contacted the hotel and they quoted me something outrageous (I believe more then double) for a similar service.
Old May 14, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the recommendation, doc. Sounds good.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:56 am

I am landing in Cusco at 915 am (from Juliaca) and wish to take a train on the same day from Olly to Machu Picchu as I need to return the same day. I have 2 train options one with Peru rail at 1258 am and the other with Machu Picchu train at 12:36. I have only the afternoon there so wondering if I would make the 12:36 train. We would be taking a cab and would want to stop to drop off our luggage at Tambo on the way.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by awardticket
I am landing in Cusco at 915 am (from Juliaca) and wish to take a train on the same day from Olly to Machu Picchu as I need to return the same day. I have 2 train options one with Peru rail at 1258 am and the other with Machu Picchu train at 12:36. I have only the afternoon there so wondering if I would make the 12:36 train. We would be taking a cab and would want to stop to drop off our luggage at Tambo on the way.
Wow, this might be possible but I would not recommend it. What happens if your flight to Cusco is cancelled or running late (which is very common)? It is hard to know exactly what time you will get to Ollantaytambo at to catch the train, and they sell out if you don't buy in advance. The drive will take you about about 2 hours, plus check in time at Tambo.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:04 pm

Does it help that my flight from Cusco is from Juliaca a small little airport with 1 flight per day to Cusco? I am leaving Cusco the following day at 430 pm so this is my window, what do you think?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:32 am

Just got back from our stay, and I'll say that this is easily the best place to stay in the area. That said a small review:

The Good:
-Location, Location, Location. Staying here right after we landed made for easy adjustment to the altitude. We never had an issue with the altitude, and that allowed us to do things immediately the next day. MUCH better than staying in Cuzco. Also eliminates a long 3.5 hour train ride from Cuzco to MP. Car to Ollyantantambo was 20 minutes and the train from there is only 1.5 hours maybe.

-Service. We missed the level of service and the training the staff seems to have after we left Tambo. All staff are very helpful, with restaurant recommendations, or making reservations.

-The property is huge, but everything in Urubamba is very walkable. Good restaurants in the area include Tres Keros and El Huacatay, both fantastic, and about $60 for two with wine. It is hard for me to pick which is better. There is a nice market one block from the central square. Fresh fruits and veggies can be bought there, worth it to just walk around. Two much cheaper restaurants are Pizza Wasi ($20 with pisco sours), and a small place right across the street called Mama Cha's I believe, which is very nice for lunch (lunch for two $12).

-Rooms are big, linens very nice.

The bad (some of this is personal preference I'm sure):

-I was not correctly recognized as SPG Gold upon my arrival. It bugged me a little. I was so exhausted after the plane and car ride that I didn't pick up on it until I had almost fully checked in. I had to ask them if they had me as Gold or just a regular member. They went away to check their computer, and then said I could pick my gold amenity (took internet). Unsure if this slip up affected our room upgrade chances, but I would email to confirm your status before you arrive.

-The internet sucks. Seriously so slow. I didn't dare try skype, because a simple web page like gmail took 5-10 seconds to load. All internet at other hotels we stayed at was much better. I would not have paid for it.

-The pool area is poor. Yes the pool looks beautiful but it isn't very practical. Only 2-3 pool chairs are outdoors and the pool itself is in a weird location that gets little sun and is cold. The hot tub, as others have mentioned, is off limits without a spa treatment.

-Every door slams shut. So if you leave your room and let the door go it slams shut. These are heavy doors. It makes for an early wakeup call if you have neighbors who wake early for a tour. Also if you attempt to lightly close the door it does not fully close, you will need to pull it shut. Otherwise the door clicks like it is closed, but can just be pushed open. Try it, and you'll see.

-Be careful of the steps leading down to places. I'm not a clumsy person and almost tripped more than a few times. There are rock steps that blend in easily, and lots of little half steps. Also the wooden staircases have a false bottom step.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Easy hikes/walks from hotel and in Sacred Valley?

I've read through much of this great thread, but perhaps have missed relevant posts on whether there are easy hikes/walks one can take right from the hotel. What I have in mind is trails that are relatively flat, or that might have some up and down to them, but that don't require hiking gear beyond a decent pair of athletic shoes. Maybe an hour or two or three in duration.

Is that possible, simply taking off from the hotel? For our vacation there next summer, we might well stay a week or more, including a few days hanging out in the hotel, but it would be great if we could get some such hiking in along with the relaxing during those days.

Also, are there places one can go with a driver and stop off for such a walk/hike while visiting the towns and sites in the Sacred Valley?

Thanks for any advice!

PS: Great review, Stubtify!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Also, are there places one can go with a driver and stop off for such a walk/hike while visiting the towns and sites in the Sacred Valley?
Addressing the driver question, we had a great driver named Oscar Quispe Ccolqqhuanca, Cellphone#980-996774 or 971-479059, and he took us to several sites in one day (Maras, Salineras, Moray, etc.) and we also arranged to have him take us back to Cusco with a stop at Pisac.
The thing to remember about these sites is that touring them is probably enough of a "small hike"-type workout for you at altitude. Moray, for example, involves lots of up-and-down walking and takes about an hour to see and appreciate. At 11,000+ ft., you'll notice yourself huffing & puffing. Walking is easier at Machu Picchu than around the Sacred Valley.
The thing for you to research is the Tourist Ticket for visiting the sites. As you'll be there a while, you'll definitely want to have it. Some of the smaller sites can't sell admission to their site alone, and sell instead a 3-day, less cost-effective pass, so the longer, 10-day one is best.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slocouple
Addressing the driver question, we had a great driver named Oscar Quispe Ccolqqhuanca, Cellphone#980-996774 or 971-479059, and he took us to several sites in one day (Maras, Salineras, Moray, etc.) and we also arranged to have him take us back to Cusco with a stop at Pisac.
The thing to remember about these sites is that touring them is probably enough of a "small hike"-type workout for you at altitude. Moray, for example, involves lots of up-and-down walking and takes about an hour to see and appreciate. At 11,000+ ft., you'll notice yourself huffing & puffing. Walking is easier at Machu Picchu than around the Sacred Valley.
The thing for you to research is the Tourist Ticket for visiting the sites. As you'll be there a while, you'll definitely want to have it. Some of the smaller sites can't sell admission to their site alone, and sell instead a 3-day, less cost-effective pass, so the longer, 10-day one is best.
Good points and good info. Thanks! Do you have Oscar's email and recall what he charged? If so, could you post this or pm me with it?

Also, how was his English? We speak a smattering of Spanish.

And good to see that you're keeping up the great travel since we crossed paths in Kyoto last year!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:42 pm

I'll agree that just visiting the sites in the Sacred Valley would be a lot of walking, and steps. If you're doing Machu Picchu and want to add in a HP hike, that would also be a lot, and might even be too much. Or for no additional cost the 2 hour hike to the Sun Gate and back to MP would also be a good one.

The ATM in the property charges $5 to pull cash, but if you use Schwab this is refunded. Credit cards are taken almost everywhere, we pulled out very little cash on our trip, maybe 3 times. Came home with less than $1 in Soles. Bring cash to some restaurants as some aren't set up to tip on the CC bill. PM if you have more questions.

One last thing I forgot to mention, I was offered late checkout, and said I didn't need it. We checked in early, around 10am, and were told we would be charged a $20 early check in fee. I said fine, just wanted to go to sleep somewhere.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Stay extra night or near Airport

Just a quick question for someone who has stayed here!

We are staying next month and just trying to decide if we should book 3 or 4 nights. We have a flight out of CUZ as 08:50 and wondered how loing it takes to get from the hotel to the airport or if we would be better staying at a hotel near CUZ and if anyone could suggest a hotel near the airport.

Was not sure how long it took to the resort and how much time you needed to leave in case of traffic issues etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by toddml
Was not sure how long it took to the resort and how much time you needed to leave in case of traffic issues etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Stay in Cusco the night before. It's a long, winding road. Have a taxi driver take you to Pisac, perhaps, on the way to Cusco the day before, and have a relaxing evening in Cusco. Anywhere right in town should be no problem getting to the airport. This is where we stayed, and the proprietor ordered up a cab for us for the morning ride to the airport:
http://www.secondhomecusco.com/en/bed-breakfast-cusco
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:00 pm

I agree, stay in Cusco the night before. The travel from Urubamba is a winding and about 1-1.5 hours. You'll be leaving at 6:00am if you try to drive up from TDI.

The taxi was 12 soles (about $4.50) from our hotel in Cusco, right on the main square. Have the hotel set it up for the morning, and enjoy a night in Cusco. Lots of nice restaurants right around the square. We were not very close to the airport, the cab ride took about 15 minutes.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:16 pm

I have 3 nights booked here on cash and points. Are there cabs lying around that I can book a trip to Cuzco with or perhaps for a day tour of the sacred valley? I am on a budget and do not want to bust the bank on expensive tours that you are paying for the extras.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by awardticket
I have 3 nights booked here on cash and points. Are there cabs lying around that I can book a trip to Cuzco with or perhaps for a day tour of the sacred valley? I am on a budget and do not want to bust the bank on expensive tours that you are paying for the extras.
Just ask the concierge. She will offer the hotel's tours, but is more than willing to direct you to the corner where the cabbies line up, and will probably also give you a guideline of what price might be fair (or you can get that info here, probably.)

Last edited by slocouple; Jul 16, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.