Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for posting this info, dodger. This is good info. Glad you had a great time!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Question (this thread has been so helpful - more than the Peru forums!):

I'm staying at the Tambo del Inka for one night before heading to Machu Picchu in the morning. I have tickets for the 6:30am train from Ollantaytambo.

It seems that one should be able to find taxis near the hotel or in Urubamba proper but is it a problem at that early hour? I suspect I need to find a taxi very early as the tickets require one to be at the station 30 min before the train departs.

If it's difficult, I can book a taxi/car but I think that'll be pricier.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear

I'm staying at the Tambo del Inka for one night before heading to Machu Picchu in the morning. I have tickets for the 6:30am train from Ollantaytambo.

It seems that one should be able to find taxis near the hotel or in Urubamba proper but is it a problem at that early hour? I suspect I need to find a taxi very early as the tickets require one to be at the station 30 min before the train departs.

Thanks!
I think it would be better to arrange in advance to have a taxi pick you up in the morning, but you can do that by walking into town the previous night and finding someone with a business card and pre-arranging for a pickup. The business card will let the concierge/doorman call the taxi if he's late. Arrange the pickup early enough that you can walk back into town in the morning if, for some reason, your taxi doesn't arrive.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like great advice- thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:54 pm

How can I book Hotel ' Monasterio' in Cuzco with Points ? which one SPG etc will be for it .Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by krishnasridhar
How can I book Hotel ' Monasterio' in Cuzco with Points ?
It's not a SPG hotel.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 2:09 am

Correction, Monasterio belongs to this network: http://www.lhw.com/

Last edited by sk8uno; Sep 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear

Thanks!
I've just begun planning a trip, but get the sense most people take a taxi to Ollantaytambo and then the train from there (to MP).

Why is this better than taking the private hotel train from Aguas Calientes?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I've just begun planning a trip, but get the sense most people take a taxi to Ollantaytambo and then the train from there (to MP).

Why is this better than taking the private hotel train?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

There are more frequent trains from Ollanta. Also, it is nota private hotel train. It is a regular train that stops at the hotel.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
There are more frequent trains from Ollanta. Also, it is nota private hotel train. It is a regular train that stops at the hotel.
Thanks for this. I found the schedule, I agree it is slim (one departure from hotel each day) but will likely work for us. I should have said private station vs private train. Though I do believe that Inca Rail offers a private train that looks rather luxurious.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:32 am

We did the train from the hotel to MP. Not a private train, but my guess is that everyone who boards at the hotel is a guest there. Others have pointed out that this train doesn't save much, if any, time over taking a cab to Ollantaytambo and catching the train there. That might be true, but it sure is convenient.

The train back to the hotel left too early for us, so we took the last train to Ollantaytambo and got a cab there. Just up the street from the train station (you can only go one way) is a bus station with a bunch of taxis waiting. Fare back to the hotel was quite cheap.

There's also the Hirum Bingham train to/from MP. Not sure if it stops in Ollantaytambo or goes straight through to Cuzco, but I would jump on that if at all possible. It's pricey, but I regret not doing it.

As for getting to the train 30 minutes prior - I don't see a need for this. We got to all trains 10-15 minutes before departure time and never felt rushed.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by johnep1
We did the train from the hotel to MP. Not a private train, but my guess is that everyone who boards at the hotel is a guest there. Others have pointed out that this train doesn't save much, if any, time over taking a cab to Ollantaytambo and catching the train there. That might be true, but it sure is convenient.

The train back to the hotel left too early for us, so we took the last train to Ollantaytambo and got a cab there. Just up the street from the train station (you can only go one way) is a bus station with a bunch of taxis waiting. Fare back to the hotel was quite cheap.

There's also the Hirum Bingham train to/from MP. Not sure if it stops in Ollantaytambo or goes straight through to Cuzco, but I would jump on that if at all possible. It's pricey, but I regret not doing it.

As for getting to the train 30 minutes prior - I don't see a need for this. We got to all trains 10-15 minutes before departure time and never felt rushed.
Thanks for the guidance. Resort looks spectacular. Accommodation notwithstanding, how does Sacred Valley compare to Cusco as measured by things to do (besides MP)?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Thanks for the guidance. Resort looks spectacular. Accommodation notwithstanding, how does Sacred Valley compare to Cusco as measured by things to do (besides MP)?
There are lots to do in both places. Cusco ... city, history, the plaza, architecture, check out the tamale lady stand, hike up to the ruins in the hill overlooking the city, great restaurants, some shopping if you are into that sort of thing ... everything done on foot.

In the sacred valley, you will likely need a car. The salt mines, the amphitheater, things are a lot more spread out but these are huge sites. You can also spend a couple hours walking around the small town right at the Tambo. Check out their local market. Its a 3 storey affair ... with fresh fruits/vege at the bottom, ready made food up top. Have lunch there. Also check out the huge piles and varieties of potato they have on the floor ... I bet you may not recognize some of them.

Have fun.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
sacred valley

I suggest not getting a car in the sacred valley.

Instead, find a taxi driver you like and cut a deal to have them drive you around for the day or two.

You will have a better experience, not deal with navigating the roads, and consume more of the scenery, which is stunning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.