Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I've just begun planning a trip, but get the sense most people take a taxi to Ollantaytambo and then the train from there (to MP).

Why is this better than taking the private hotel train from Aguas Calientes?

While the Peru Rail website lists the train from Urubamba (the Autovagon)... you can't actually book the train online. From everything I've read, you can only get a seat on the train if you book a package through the hotel which seems quite expensive based upon earlier posts to this thread. I've e-mailed Peru Rail to confirm that you cannot book the Autovagon from Urubamba through them (you can book it form Ollantayambo).
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by dguruswamy
While the Peru Rail website lists the train from Urubamba (the Autovagon)... you can't actually book the train online. From everything I've read, you can only get a seat on the train if you book a package through the hotel which seems quite expensive based upon earlier posts to this thread. I've e-mailed Peru Rail to confirm that you cannot book the Autovagon from Urubamba through them (you can book it form Ollantayambo).
Very helpful. Not looking for a package, so will probably take taxi to Ollantayambo.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:55 pm

I emailed Peru Rail and things have changed. The Autovagon only provides outbound service from Urubamba. The Vistadome provides the return service. I was able to buy tickets direct from Peru Rail via e-mail. You do have to scan your passports and credit card you use to pay in order to do the transaction offline. The tickets I bought are issued only to/from Olly but the agent wrote in his e-mail that I can use them to/from Urubamba (you better bet I'm taking a copy of the e-mail).

Originally Posted by dguruswamy
While the Peru Rail website lists the train from Urubamba (the Autovagon)... you can't actually book the train online. From everything I've read, you can only get a seat on the train if you book a package through the hotel which seems quite expensive based upon earlier posts to this thread.

Last edited by ArlingtonTraveler; Oct 24, 2012 at 10:33 am Reason: correct error
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:10 pm

The newly minted Mrs.falconred and I stayed here on our honeymoon about a month ago. I won't repeat too much of what others have said, but yes the Sacred Valley is stunning and the hotel itself is beautiful and one of the more unique places I've stayed. I should probably post some pictures in the Trip Report forum!

We chose the package tour to Machu Picchu and don't regret it. The train ride, although quite slow, was very convenient and comfortable. Our guide (Jocelyn) was amazing and really added to our experience. You could save a decent chunk of change, though, by booking your own, so you can't go wrong either way.

One (in retrospect) amusing thing did happen. I had booked several rooms around Peru, some of which I paid for months in advance, and others were flexible rates that I would pay at the hotel. But I did not really keep track of which rate and rules applied to each hotel. When I checked in at Tambo del Inka, the agent mentioned "this is a pre-paid rate". Great, I thought. Well, check-out time rolls around, and after much clicking and typing on their computer the agent says: "this is a pre-paid rate... please give us your credit card so we can charge you for the room". Me: "I thought you said it was pre-paid?" Agent: "It is, so you have to pay now." Me: "What?!" Que Who's-On-First type discussion of what "pre-paid" means. A Manager is summoned by the Agent. The comedy routine is repeated. Eventually I just shrug and say, "That's fine, charge it. I honestly don't know if I paid before. If it's a double-charge I can always dispute." At this point Manager gets bug-eyed at the mention of a charge-back. It turns out they can't actually tell from their computers if I had already paid for the room or not! And because I'm checking out on a weekend, the only ones who would know, the Accounting department, are not available. In the end, I paid for my food and bev at checkout, and paid for the actual room a week and a half later after exchanging several emails with the manager. All's well that ends well, but it was a bit of a silly situation. I advised them to use the term "Advance rate" not "pre-paid" in the future to avoid confusion.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by falconred
One (in retrospect) amusing thing did happen...
I was overcharged by them--the billing they use is very hard to understand. Upon checkout I was fairly certain the bill was wrong. They weren't too sure what each charge corresponded with (I had a complex stay built on C&P, cash, and a free night) but had a train to catch. They also quote in USD but charge in Soles.

Only once I was home and after I insisted on a detailed breakdown did I discover the overcharge. They were very apologetic and refunded the money--but still keep a close eye on the folio, and ask for a detailed breakdown.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stubtify
the billing they use is very hard to understand.
Agreed that when you're used to the single-page PDF file emailed to you automatically at check-out, the 10+ page stack of papers they hand over is quite a surprise.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
a few points

I did three Peruvian starwoods: Tambo, Sheraton Lima, and Westin Lima. Strange practices at each re: rates and billing.

Best thing to do is to call Starwood directly and talk to them about it. If you had problems, they will fix them and potentially compensate you.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
On property now on C&P. Upgrade to Junior Suite without asking. breakfast as Plat benefit is full choice and excellent quality. Great hotel as others have said. As we are staying 3 nights they gave us a letter offering 15% off bar and water circuit. The bar is great and cosy and the bar food is good quality and value for money. As for the water circuit I am not sure they are doing themselves a favor trying to charge for it. We don't see anybody using it, and many other hotels of similar class would simply offer free access to such facility.

We did the MP tour on our own with trains to/from Olly. The whole thing sets you back around USD 200 per person just for the logistics (including admission to MP). I felt the train and bus are ridicolously overpriced but there isn't much you can do. I don't need a useless catering, dance, music, and fashion show on the train but they keep tourists away from the local trains.

We flew into Cusco in the morning with a backpack only and visited the city and some sites before continuing to the hotel. The driver charged us 20 soles from airport to Sacsahuyaman (not necessarily worth doing IMO esp due to the inflated admission) and another 60 from Cusco to the hotel. We had an excellent lunch at Cicciolina in Cusco. In Urubamba El Huacatay has been recommended to us as the place to eat, we will try that today.

We have arranged the same driver back to the airport from the hotel for 70 soles, just in case people are interested in the going rates.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:22 pm

Tambo

Impressed that you got the Junior Suite Plat upgrade on C+P.

The breakfast is pretty wonderful, eh? One of my favorites in the world. You're completely correct- the water circuit makes no sense. Someone needs to explain this to management, because it's a turnoff for elites.

I loved the fashion show, but maybe it was just my mood. Great food in Cusco- like Cicciolina as well. Get steak at El Huacatay and hang out with the owner, who is a character.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Oh yes - both the Alpaca Carpaccio and filet were great. As were the cocktails. The hotel seemed quite empty. We did a half day tour of Moray and Salineras, well worth it. On the way back the driver took us via Pisac, I strongly recommend to try both routes from Cusco, they are very different but both beautiful.

I really loved TdI. We are now at Hotel Paracas, see Master thread.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:25 am

your trip

Ha, I remember the Alpaca Carpaccio! Good cocktails throughout Peru.

The hotel was empty when we were there, we loved it. We did Moray + Salineras, and Pisac as well. Never really got to explore Ollyantantambo (sp?), but that's for next time I think.

Will look up your review on Paracas. Is Tambo nicest SPG property in the country?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:21 am

Tambo is by far the nicest property in the country. I was in Peru in June and stayed at the Sheraton Lima and the tambo. Sheraton is nice, but dated. We had access to the lounge, but the hotel had a very 60s feel. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it doesn't compare to the Tambo. Incidently, when we stayed at the Sheraton, the under 21 or 23 S.America soccer tournament was going on, so the entire hotel was booked. We were able to stay one night and then had to move.

Tambo is like the Park Hyatt in Paris. Very similar look and quality. If it was in NYC/Paris, etc, you're looking at $750++ per night. One of the great hotels in the world in terms of quality. The staff was very nice to us and very friendly, but not the quality of the PH.

The concierge, Veronica, who is actually quite attractive, checks Trip Advisor religiously and I told her about FT. She checked it out a couple times, but I doubt she's looked back since.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:17 am

Tambo / Park Hyatt

Tambo is one of the nicer hotels i've stayed in. Interesting comparison with the Park Hyatt in Paris (is that a hotel that people talk about?)

I liked the Sheraton Lima a lot, and posted a full review. Great value for points, but it is a bit faded.

Funny re: concierge. I loved the Tambo staff. Surprised they don't read Flyertalk.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Plenty of useful suggestions in this thread! I am planning a 3 night stay in March. My flight arrives in CUZ on Sunday around noon. I would like pass by the Pisac Sunday market en route to the hotel. Do you have any suggestions for a reasonable (costwise) way I can arrange that? Rent and self drive, arrange a car and driver through the hotel, or?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
You can arrange a taxi to pick you up at the airport and take you to Tambo, stopping where you like. In our case, we had arranged such a taxi, but missed connecting with him at CUZ. We found a taxi outside the airport who quoted us the same price the pre-arranged one did, and took us just where we wanted. OTOH, you may not have enough time to visit much of the market if your flight arrival is delayed.
You may find some other info here:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-...co_Region.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.