Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
[QUOTE=punkmonkey;20335938]
Originally Posted by slocouple

Does anyone know if the hotel would store luggage overnight. Would like to stay one night in Aguas Caliente, in between a 3 night stay at Tambo, and hoping to bring 1-2 rollaboards with us. (4 adults, 2 children traveling). Hoping to book for next January before the points increase. Schedule not loaded. Emails to hotel unanswered.
Hotel was happy to store luggage for us for one night at Aguas. Maybe SPG can give you a better email address to contact?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt

Does anyone know if the hotel would store luggage overnight. Would like to stay one night in Aguas Caliente, in between a 3 night stay at Tambo, and hoping to bring 1-2 rollaboards with us. (4 adults, 2 children traveling). Hoping to book for next January before the points increase. Schedule not loaded. Emails to hotel unanswered.
Hotel did that for me. I had my stuff delivered to the hotel (from Cusco hotel) while I was out along the Inka Trail. Everything was there when I got to the hotel 4 days later. I called ahead when I was leaving Cusco to inform them that the driver would be coming by to leave our luggage.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:40 am

FRONT DESK
<email address redacted by moderator>

CHIEF CONCIERGE
<email address redacted by moderator>

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Mar 5, 2013 at 11:08 am Reason: Posting of others email addresses are against FT rules, thus removed from this post - Moderator
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru, opened May, 2010, cat 4 [Master Thread]

Thanks for the responses regarding the luggage. Glad to hear I won't have to schlep bags back and forth. Thanks for the email addresses Astrophsx. Will give them a go.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:46 am

I booked five nights in September speculatively before the raise in point redemption. My wife and I are expecting our first child in May so the baby will be 4 months old for this trip (please tell me if you really think I am crazy, but we feel pretty comfortable in doing this). My biggest concern is reliable and safe transfer between Cuzco, Urubamba and various sacred valley sights. We are usually the type to rent vehicles and do country side exploring but have decided against it for this location. Any recommendations on car hires? Also, is a self guided Machu Pichu day trip too demanding or should I get a night in Aguas Calientes?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by lsb286
I booked five nights in September speculatively before the raise in point redemption. My wife and I are expecting our first child in May so the baby will be 4 months old for this trip (please tell me if you really think I am crazy, but we feel pretty comfortable in doing this). My biggest concern is reliable and safe transfer between Cuzco, Urubamba and various sacred valley sights. We are usually the type to rent vehicles and do country side exploring but have decided against it for this location. Any recommendations on car hires? Also, is a self guided Machu Pichu day trip too demanding or should I get a night in Aguas Calientes?
We used the hotel van to go Ollanta one day during our stay. It was comfortable, spacious (keep this in mind if you are using a car seat), and the driver operated the car safely. They can certainly arrange to pick you up at the airport and take you wherever you want to go, but it won't be cheap - the rates are easily double what you'd pay for a typical cab. However, given your precious cargo, I might just spend the extra money and not worry about things.

It's none of my business, but take into consideration how a 4 month old is going to handle the altitude - Urubamba is 9400' and Cusco is a staggering 11,100'. Unless you already live at a very high elevation, the little one might not like it, and that could make for some unpleasantness.

Going from Urubamba to M.P. and back in 1 day would be quite a trip for an infant, I'd probably stay in Aguas Calientes.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ibdsux
It's none of my business, but take into consideration how a 4 month old is going to handle the altitude - Urubamba is 9400' and Cusco is a staggering 11,100'. Unless you already live at a very high elevation, the little one might not like it, and that could make for some unpleasantness.
If you have chosen a pediatrician, please ask for her/his recommendation about taking a young infant on such a trip. There will be little you can do to relieve baby's discomfort if it occurs, and you won't know whether it's the altitude or something else bothering her.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:39 pm

If you have chosen a pediatrician, please ask for her/his recommendation about taking a young infant on such a trip. There will be little you can do to relieve baby's discomfort if it occurs, and you won't know whether it's the altitude or something else bothering her.
I think this is very good advice. Beyond a babies discomfort I would have to wonder about immunizations, vaccines, etc.. that would be needed. Also, the tap water is not good for drinking in Peru. So if you have to make formula or what not. I'm sure the hotel can help accommodate for this. I personally would not take an infant to MP.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Excellent stay

I recently stayed at the hotel for two nights. I had outstanding experience with comfort, location, and especially customer service. A detailed description and pictures can be found in my trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...er-island.html
Old May 7, 2013, 11:23 am

My hotel review

One of the best stays I've ever had. Here's my review.

http://freetravelguys.com/travel-rev...o-peru-review/
Old May 7, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by lsb286
Definetly stay in Aguas Calientes the night before, and then do Machu Pichu the following morning till your train back.. I didn't and the train was late because of a slide Blah, Blah, Blah. ended up with a real fast look around and had to leave to catch the train out.. Even without delays it will be a VERY long day without a stay at Machu Pichu. With the altitude I would NOT take a baby. Lots of cars at airport will drive you over to Urubamba (pick a newer one ).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
[QUOTE=iahphx;15025765]I would also recommend Sabino for Sacred Valley tours and Cuzco pick-up. He works with another driver (whose name I've forgotten) who is also courteous and reliable. You can negotiate a bit with them if you find their prices a little high (pretty much everyone in Peru is going to think you're a gazillion-aire if you're staying at the Tambo, so it's perhaps wise to try to reduce this mark-up).

I'll add another recommendation. However, be aware that Sabino is a driver (and a very good one who is extremely courteous) but not a guide. He'll take you to the sites and tell you a little about them in broken English. However, you won't receive the details that a professional guide can offer. Nevertheless, I don't regret using him.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:17 am

Prices for Tambo-Cusco drive

Alvaro at the hotel did a little shopping around for us and got us a minivan for the drive back to Cusco for 140 Soles (about $56 at the exchange rate). If the price feels too high, ask them to please check with several cab companies and they will be happy to do so.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:00 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Great 3 day stay at Tambo del Inka

We stayed at Tambo del Inka for 3 nights after our visit to Machu Picchu as a homebase for exploration of the Sacred Valley.

The hotel itself is amazing; very luxurious, spacious, clean, with courteous staff.

The biggest weakness (and seriously perplexing to me) was that there is no in room coffee maker.

We stayed on cash and points but paid a bit extra to be on the ground floor near the river; it was not worth the extra $ since we were at the hotel so seldom.

We ate one late dinner / snack in the bar and the food was fine but expensive as one would expect. We ate breakfast in the restaurant twice and it was good and pretty reasonably priced.

We had an amazing lunch at Q'anelo one day, and a pretty decent dinner at a restaurant in the next town over recommended by the concierge at Tambo. We also had a pretty decent pizza at Pizza Wasi our final night in town.

While staying at Tambo, we spent one day with a driver (no guide) touring the salt mines, Chincero, and Moray. The other day we toured Cuzco with a guide.

Overall, Tambo is highly recommended. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Anita
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Could use some help...

I'd welcome some help with a few matters:

1. Does anyone have a good email address for the hotel? I wrote to the concierge more than a week ago and then the GM a few days later, but have not received any reply. The email address I used was the one at the hotel website: [email protected]

2. Is it possible to buy the train tickets from Urubamba to Aguas Caliente in advance from the concierge (or the hotel travel agent)?

3. Same question as #2, except for buying tickets to Machu Piccu and Huayna Piccu.

4. For #2 and #3, how much of a mark-up is there for buying through the hotel/travel agent over other options?

Thanks for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.