Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Haven't been to Peru (or S America for that matter), but your comment begs the question - why stay at Tambo at all then? I ask in all seriousness.

I'm thinking of June next year
As base camp for the sacred valley. The town of Urubamba offers very little to do, but you can venture out on tours. They also have things like white water rafting and down-hill mountain biking nearby. If you are going in November MP will not be nearly as packed. I went last December and it seemed to be very very low season. I think it is risky going when it is more wet (maybe too cloudy some days), but when there aren't crowds you feel as if you have some areas of MP to yourself.

Aguas Calientes is a good choice if you are going during peak season and want to get up to MP early to beat the crowds, or if you want to go hiking. When you buy your tickets for MP you will be able to see how many tickets have been sold for that day. I would definitely try to get in some time in Cuzco. I don't think I would want to spend more than 3 day at the Tambo.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
If OP has an extra day, then I would agree that he'll have a far better experience staying the night in AC. But if OP wanted to solely minimize cost then the hotel is a BTI and staying at TdI would probably not be a good idea...
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Cost isn't the sole factor, its unnecessary cost that bothers me. That's why Tikariy's (huge) markup bothered me. I've shifted plans a bit, now we're going to do one night at TdI, tour the valley a bit, tour the ruins at Ollantaytambo, train to AC, overnight at he Sumaq hotel in AC, train back to Ollantaytambo, taxi to TdI a night there, and back to CUZ the next day.

I'm using a combination of points and a surprising government rate at the TdI, so that part's pretty cheap. Since MP was the real point of the trip, the overnight in AC was a very sensible suggestion that many people have made.

Andyandy
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
As base camp for the sacred valley.
Right. Not everyone realizes that the Sacred Valley is as integral to a trip to this area as MP and Cusco. Personally, I'd limit my time in Cusco (a full day is fine) to have more time in the Sacred Valley.

The problem with the Tambo is that it's now quite expensive. And, since it's a Starwood, they don't throw in extras like most nice hotels in the area do. Like has anyone stayed at the Sonesta Posadas del Inca? It gets excellent reviews, costs about half what the Tambo is charging, and they throw in breakfast. Unless I can find a great deal at the Tambo, or it gets cut to Cat. 4, I think I might try the Sonesta next year.

Originally Posted by andyandy
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Cost isn't the sole factor, its unnecessary cost that bothers me. That's why Tikariy's (huge) markup bothered me. I've shifted plans a bit, now we're going to do one night at TdI, tour the valley a bit, tour the ruins at Ollantaytambo, train to AC, overnight at he Sumaq hotel in AC, train back to Ollantaytambo, taxi to TdI a night there, and back to CUZ the next day.

I'm using a combination of points and a surprising government rate at the TdI, so that part's pretty cheap. Since MP was the real point of the trip, the overnight in AC was a very sensible suggestion that many people have made.

Andyandy
I hope you got a good deal at the Sumaq. That hotel seems to please its guests, but at a price I find shocking for Peru.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I hope you got a good deal at the Sumaq. That hotel seems to please its guests, but at a price I find shocking for Peru.
Shockingly, I'm paying more than my rate at the TdI ($225 government rate). At least the ($300) Sumaq rate is half-board, for what that's worth. It's a lot less than the Inkaterra or Sanctuary Lodge, the only other two non-hostelesque properties in AC.

Andyandy
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andyandy
Shockingly, I'm paying more than my rate at the TdI ($225 government rate). At least the ($300) Sumaq rate is half-board, for what that's worth. It's a lot less than the Inkaterra or Sanctuary Lodge, the only other two non-hostelesque properties in AC.

Andyandy
I think I've seen higher rates for the Sumaq, so maybe you got a "bargain."

I guess they're throwing in dinner, which makes the rate more plausible, but the disadvantage is that there are actually good restaurants in AC.

My last visit to AC was in 2010, and for $40, I got a decent-but-not-great room and a decent-but-not-great breakfast for 2. Definitely not a hostel; more like a 2-star hotel. Completely fine, and for what I paid, no complaints. I wasn't able to find a "3 star" hotel for $60, though, which is probably what I would have preferred (or a 4 star for $80). I will eventually do some new research for my trip next year, as I am certain there are some new additions to the AC hotel scene. Tripadvisor and booking.com are probably the best places to look. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:35 am

I think I've seen higher rates for the Sumaq, so maybe you got a "bargain."

I guess they're throwing in dinner, which makes the rate more plausible, but the disadvantage is that there are actually good restaurants in AC.

I will eventually do some new research for my trip next year, as I am certain there are some new additions to the AC hotel scene. Tripadvisor and booking.com are probably the best places to look. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.
I'll be reviewing both the TdI and the Sumaq, and I'll try to remember to post a link here when we get back. I did book the Sumaq through booking.com, which had the best price.

Andyandy
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
comments

1. TDL is worth doing on cash and points. That's how to do it. End scene.

2. A previous poster is right that Sacred valley is key for a Peru / MP trip. Less time in Cusco, more time Sacred valley.

3. TDL and Urubama are a base to explore sacred valley.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
Well, C&P WAS very much worth doing back in 2010 when the hotel opened. Cat. 3 and that's when you didn't need much "cash" for C&P (pre-devaluation). And they even gave you the breakfast buffet for free. Now as a Cat. 5, C&P is $110 and 6,000 points, no breakfast.

To give you an idea, the second best hotel in Urubamba -- the highly regarded and atmospheric Sonesta -- is $110 WITH breakfast and no points. And that's the full rate, before you can get any other discounts (like an Expedia voucher, a percent code, etc.).

I guess Plats get free breakfast at the TDL. To me, if you're travelling as a couple, that's probably the tipping point. No breakfast, the Sonesta is a much better value.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:22 pm

To give you an idea, the second best hotel in Urubamba -- the highly regarded and atmospheric Sonesta -- is $110 WITH breakfast and no points. And that's the full rate, before you can get any other discounts (like an Expedia voucher, a percent code, etc.).

I guess Plats get free breakfast at the TDL. To me, if you're travelling as a couple, that's probably the tipping point. No breakfast, the Sonesta is a much better value.
I don't think the Sonesta and the TDL are even close to being put in the same category. The TDL is a more polished and secluded resort. You do bring up a good point that there are other hotels and resorts in the area that can be a good bargain and that the TDL isn't the deal it once was before the category change.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:54 pm

I'll be staying at TdI for 2 nights in Nov. I got a rate of 230 soles for up to 3 ppl for airport transfer to the hotel. Is this a good deal or any suggestions on driver for hire? We'll be looking for someone to take us around the area too.
After that, planning to stay in AC for a night. I got a rate of $762 at Sumaq for one night, incl breakfast, dinner and 3.5 tour of Machu Picchu. Is this a good rate? By the way, what does half board means?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gini1234
I'll be staying at TdI for 2 nights in Nov. I got a rate of 230 soles for up to 3 ppl for airport transfer to the hotel. Is this a good deal or any suggestions on driver for hire? We'll be looking for someone to take us around the area too.
After that, planning to stay in AC for a night. I got a rate of $762 at Sumaq for one night, incl breakfast, dinner and 3.5 tour of Machu Picchu. Is this a good rate? By the way, what does half board means?
If you don't mind taking a taxi, then the cost will be substantially lower. I haven't done the CUZ to Urubamba route but from what I read online, 40-70 soles is a reasonable price. For private car transport (w/English speaker), 230 soles is roughly the going rate from what I have seen.

I can't say whether that is a good rate for SUMAQ but $762 is a lot of money to spend for one night in AC. You can spend a lot less if you don't mind staying at a no-frills place... and you can have a great breakfast and dinner in AC and can negotiate a much lower price for your tour guide at the entrance to MP.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Gini1234
Do you know Spanish? When I flew into CUZ we were swarmed by taxi drivers walking out of the airport. I think we negotiated a 45 soles rate for two. I don't recall seeing a taxi that would be able to hold 3 people + luggage. There may be vans, but unless you opt to somehow prebook it would be difficult to know who has a van or taxi large enough to take your group if you do not know how to speak in Spanish. Though, I think it would still be cheaper to get two taxis than to pay 230 soles.

I would use a separate company for taking you around the area for tours and just a local taxi once you get to Urubamba. I remember seeing taxi vans going between Urubamba and Ollantaytambo, so I think going back to the airport might be easier to catch one.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:20 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by captain_starwood

2. A previous poster is right that Sacred valley is key for a Peru / MP trip. Less time in Cusco, more time Sacred valley.

3. TDL and Urubama are a base to explore sacred valley.
Yes to all of this.

However, if you plan on being pretty busy exploring while in the Sacred Valley, you won't be at TDL that much. We loved it but were only there bits and pieces as we took a day trip each day. If you do the same, it may not be worth paying a premium to stay there.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I don't think the Sonesta and the TDL are even close to being put in the same category. The TDL is a more polished and secluded resort. You do bring up a good point that there are other hotels and resorts in the area that can be a good bargain and that the TDL isn't the deal it once was before the category change.
Originally Posted by akp
Yes to all of this.

However, if you plan on being pretty busy exploring while in the Sacred Valley, you won't be at TDL that much. We loved it but were only there bits and pieces as we took a day trip each day. If you do the same, it may not be worth paying a premium to stay there.
Well, I actually said the Sonesta was the SECOND best hotel in the area. I haven't stayed there (yet), but it's not a slouchy hotel: it annually wins the "best boutique hotel in Peru" award and commands a 4 1/2 star rating on tripadvisor. But it seems to be characterized as a 4-star property, while the TDL is considered a 5-star hotel. And, in this case, I thinks that's an accurate way to compare the two hotels. At close to the same same price, I'd stay at the TDL. The problem right now is that the TDL is about twice the price, more when you include breakfast.

And, as akp notes, you're not likely to linger at your hotel that much. After breakfast, we typically didn't return until late afternoon. And some of the amenities that you might want to "hang around" the TDL to utilize, like their Jacuzzi tubs, are a steep additional charge that you might not feel was worthwhile. Same problem with having dinner there; you'll pay a huge premium over relatively-comparable cuisine you can get elsewhere. There is almost always a value-problem with additional services at Starwood hotels, and it's magnified in Peru because of the wide disparity in pricing between the TDL and pretty much everyone else.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Does someone know if this hotel offers free breakfast for Platinum guests ?
Or do you need to part with 500 points ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.