Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:00 pm

Putting Resend in the subject worked! I got a response. Thanks iahphx! Apparently she has been out of town. Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold
My husband and I stayed at the TDI for 4 nights in April during Easter Week. I just realized that I forgot to come back and share our experience and I wanted to do so because I found reading through this thread so helpful before we left.

First, we loved our stay at the hotel! I only have SPG Gold, but we were upgraded to a Deluxe Room from a Superior Room. As far as I can tell the only difference is that the Deluxe rooms are on the ground floor and open out onto a private patio with lounge chairs. Superior rooms are up one level and have what looks like an enclosed “balcony” but you can’t get outside. We were offered free wifi as our amenity.

The room was huge with a king sized bed, walk in closet, sofa, desk, and two chairs set in front of the terrace doors with a small round table. The bathroom has three separate areas with double sinks and mirror in the center, a frosted glassed-in toilet room, and a clear glass “wet room” with tub and separate shower. Our room was on the river side of the property, and while we could hear it, it was only slightly visible through the foliage.

We never ate in the restaurant for dinner (lots of good choices in town and an easy walk) and because our room did not come with breakfast, we ended up ordering a room service Continental breakfast each morning (which came with enough for two people). On our last morning we ate at the breakfast buffet, but for the cost, I wasn’t really impressed. The bar has some excellent craft cocktails though and helped me develop a taste for Pisco.

We used the train leaving from the hotel for our visit to Machu Picchu, going up and coming back same day. The afternoon before our morning train departure, I walked the grounds, just so I could get the lay of the land. I discovered that we could exit from a different door (next to the elevators) closer to our room, walk though the back side of the hotel which has a giant water feature and save ourselves 10 minutes of having to go out through the lobby to get to the train.

We stayed at the TDI 4 nights and while we were here we visited Chinchero, Morey and Maras, Ollantaytambo and Pisac as well as Machu Picchu. What we didn’t have time to do was enjoy the resort facilities or visit the town of Urubamba itself other than for dinner. If I had to do it again, I would build in more down time to enjoy the hotel, the spa and the town.

For an expanded version of this review, plus a TON of photos, there's a post on my blog: http://www.wired2theworld.com/2014/0...urubamba-peru/

BTW, I booked everything for the visit to MP myself; train tix through Peru Rail, admission tickets on the government website, etc. It can be done, it just takes persistence and I know we saved several hundred dollars over what it would have cost us to book though the hotel. I've written up more on how I did this and my tips for visiting MP on my blog as well.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:00 am

Hi,

I noticed a lot of folks are taking the train from Oly instead of TDI. Can someone please confirm that the TDI station is URUBAMBA on the Peru Rail website? It seems I can get RT from URUBAMBA for $150 on vista dome. When I called the hotel, the in house travel agent quoted me $180. I am wondering if there is an extra fee being tacked on. If so, can I just book my own on Perurail?

Thanks,
King
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by Obsidian
Hi,

I noticed a lot of folks are taking the train from Oly instead of TDI. Can someone please confirm that the TDI station is URUBAMBA on the Peru Rail website? It seems I can get RT from URUBAMBA for $150 on vista dome. When I called the hotel, the in house travel agent quoted me $180. I am wondering if there is an extra fee being tacked on. If so, can I just book my own on Perurail?

Thanks,
King
Yes... URUBAMBA = TDI

Took this train 2 days ago and booked the same ticket with Peru Rail.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zagy
Yes... URUBAMBA = TDI

Took this train 2 days ago and booked the same ticket with Peru Rail.
You can also book two one ways on Peru Rail. For instance, last time we went from Olly to Aguas one day and back to Urubamba the following day after MP. This time, we want to go from TDI on the first train, and are not staying overnight, but want a later departure from Aguas than the 3 in the afternoon one to TDI, so we are coming back to Olly and we'll get a cab from there to TDI.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by slocouple
You can also book two one ways on Peru Rail. For instance, last time we went from Olly to Aguas one day and back to Urubamba the following day after MP. This time, we want to go from TDI on the first train, and are not staying overnight, but want a later departure from Aguas than the 3 in the afternoon one to TDI, so we are coming back to Olly and we'll get a cab from there to TDI.
I also had an overnight at AC. If I would do this trip again, I would book a driver to take me to Ollanta in the morning and pick me up in the evening (about 100 soles) and book an early train from Ollanta and the 6PM train back. The Ollanta - Urubamba part takes over an hour
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I also had an overnight at AC. If I would do this trip again, I would book a driver to take me to Ollanta in the morning and pick me up in the evening (about 100 soles) and book an early train from Ollanta and the 6PM train back. The Ollanta - Urubamba part takes over an hour
Compared to how long by car? I'm trying to make that very decision right now. The convenience of being dropped off right at the hotel vs taking a car to/from Olly and dealing with the traffic.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Compared to how long by car? I'm trying to make that very decision right now. The convenience of being dropped off right at the hotel vs taking a car to/from Olly and dealing with the traffic.
I'm still in Peru (Palacio del Inka now) and will write a more detailed report of all these amazing properties when I get home but this is the part about visiting MP:

We had the following trip:
1. Aug 15th: Inca Rail; 11.15 from Ollanta; driver picked us up at 10.15 from TdI; took us 25 minutes to get to the train station; Price = 50 soles
2. got to MP at about 2PM... at 3PM the crowds start to go away, so you get 1,5 hours of a mostly empty MP.
3. spent an overnight in AC at Sumaq; paid 350 USD. Certainly not worth it in my opinion. Compared to TdI, Sumaq is a 3star property at best (although one of the nicer ones in AC).
4. went to MP Mountain the next morning. There was a HUGE line for the buses at 6AM in the morning, so we actually hiked up to MP as well. Took us about 1 hour 10 minutes.
5. On Aug 16th had the 3:45PM Peru Rail back to Urubamba
6. Peru Rail is better in my opinion; It takes 1h 30m to Ollanta; then the train stops for 10 minutes (cleaning ...) and then proceeds to TdI. It takes at least an hour of SLOW and SCREEEEEECHING driving.

We came to our room at about 7PM and had two more nights there. We spent the next day doing nothing except enjoying this amazing hotel.

As I said... If you have any additional hiking planed (Wayna Picchu, MP Mountain) get a driver to Ollanta and take an early train. And then a late train back (something like 6PM), so you can stay until MP closes.

Guidebooks say that the best time to enjoy MP is either very early or late. In my experience only the "late" part is correct... MP was already packed by 7AM.

EDIT: Wanted to add that the train to the hotel really doesn't add any convenience except the counting of minutes of when you'll finally get to a nice bed. And you'll have to go on an earlier train from MP, which is a shame. The concierge booked us a driver called "Hernan". Used him 3 times, very nice, always waited for us on time. I'm sure he'll wait for you right outside the train station in Ollanta, so you won't have any "traffic issues".

Last edited by zagy; Aug 18, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by green09000
Putting Resend in the subject worked! I got a response. Thanks iahphx! Apparently she has been out of town. Thanks for the help!
I struggled to get responses from DUP as well. It has taken multiple emails. Sometimes you just have to hit that resend button.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks zagy. Did you have to buy a 2 day pass for MP? How much for the bus from AC to MP?

We were thinking of taking the 15:37-17:02 train from Olly to AC, spend the night at a hotel in AC, then go to MP early in the morning (debating between bus and walking up). We were then going to take an afternoon train from AC to Olly or TdI sometime between 15:00 and 16:00.

Now I'm wondering if we should leave Olly in time to be in AC by late morning, and get a full afternoon in (5-6 hrs). Do you know what time MP closes or when the last bus leaves? We could spend the night in AC or take a late train back.

TIA
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:51 pm

Thanks zagy. Did you have to buy a 2 day pass for MP? How much for the bus from AC to MP?

We were thinking of taking the 15:37-17:02 train from Olly to AC, spend the night at a hotel in AC, then go to MP early in the morning (debating between bus and walking up). We were then going to take an afternoon train from AC to Olly or TdI sometime between 15:00 and 16:00.

Now I'm wondering if we should leave Olly in time to be in AC by late morning, and get a full afternoon in (5-6 hrs). Do you know what time MP closes or when the last bus leaves? We could spend the night in AC or take a late train back.

TIA
As of right now, MP closes at 5:00. There is some talk that they may eventually have extended hours until 8:00. Not sure how they would do that since it gets dark around 5:45. The bus is around $20 round trip per person.

We're taking the 13:27 train to AC the day before we see MP. We're hoping to get into town and hike Putucusi mountain that day. The next day our train departs around 2:57.

AC is supposedly not much to see so if you spend the night there, make sure you have a purpose for doing so e.g. seeing MP the next day. Otherwise I would suggest getting out of there.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:40 am

Yes... we had 2 tickets. Day 1: MP; Day 2: MP + Montana

Bus tickets AC-MP: Return 19USD; O/W 10USD

Based on my visit there, you'd miss the time when MP is the most empty - after 3PM.

If debating between bus and walking up - be prepared to wake up very early in any case the bus lines before 6AM was super long already. Although I'm guessing it depends on when you're there...

TIA
That's what I would do. MP closes at 5PM but at 4:30 you'll start hearing whistles all over the place with guards starting to herd people towards the exit. Last bus leaves at 5:30 but you should be out of there well before that.

AC is - at least to me - boring and overpriced (e.g. 12€ for a crappy pizza). Would pay for 1 more night at TdI instead
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC

My GF and I are doing the exact same thing over Labor Day Weekend. Personally wishing we avoided a night in AC (I've been before), but GF wants to see MP at sunrise. We're heading from AC/MP back to Pokoy and the PDI in Cusco for two nights. Can't wait!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slocouple
You can also book two one ways on Peru Rail. For instance, last time we went from Olly to Aguas one day and back to Urubamba the following day after MP.
Somewhat surprisingly, both IncaRail and Peru rail are somewhat cheaper if you book as a roundtrip. BTW, I've now taken both and the service is similar: pick the one that has the best price for the times you want to travel. Always travel from Ollanta: no other departure points really make any sense (unless you're at the TdI and really want to take the train from there.

BTW, MP is a very overpriced destination for foreigners, but there's basically nothing you can do about it. Locals pay only $2 for the train (2nd class instead of 1st class, but who really cares) and admission to MP is free for them (on Sundays) instead of $45. You also have to overpay for the bus from Aguas Calientes to MP ($19). While everything works fairly efficiently, the Peruvians do nothing to help you interpret the site or provide helpful amenities (like convenient restrooms). They are going to build a visitors center at MP -- I saw the plans, and they look nice -- but that will be years away, and they'll probably raise the admission fee further to pay for it!

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
AC is supposedly not much to see so if you spend the night there, make sure you have a purpose for doing so e.g. seeing MP the next day. Otherwise I would suggest getting out of there.
Actually, unless you're a hotel snob or can get an insanely good deal at TdI, I think it's better to maximize days in Aguas Calientes (now officially known as Machu Picchu Pueblo, so look for both names) instead of Urubamba. AC is a tourist town, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's gentrifying, and everything you will want as a tourist is there. Urubamba has some nice restaurants, but there are actually better and more affordable upscale restaurants in AC if you know what you're doing (I think few flyertalkers will be interested in Urubamba's cheap "locals" restaurants). El Indio Feliz is well established, and a gourmet 3-course French/Peruvian fusion meal is about $22 per person. I actually prefer the new and off-the-beaten-track Chullpi restaurant, which has a gourmet 3-course menu for less than $17.

Other than visit the interesting Seminario pottery shop (ask to meet Mr. Seminario), there is very little to do in Urubamba; you can at least shop in the craft market in AC. The best strategy is to take a 4:30 train to AC (you can spend that day touring the Sacred Valley by car), spend 2 nights -- giving you plenty of time to see MP at your leisure -- and then leave AC at around 8:30 am (IncaRail has these times available for little more than $100 roundtrip).

You don't need a fancy and ludicrously overpriced hotel in AC. Look on TripAdvisor for one of the several well-regarded 2 and 3 star properties -- paying some attention to reported noise issues (the train runs right through town). They are quite decent, and still under $60 including breakfast (there's price competition in that category in AC, where there's little price competition at the still-unusual luxury level in AC).

BTW, this time I stayed at the Sonesta in Urubamba instead of at the TdI. The TdI is significantly fancier: true 5 stars instead of 4. That said, unless you're on your honeymoon or get a crazy good deal, the Sonesta is the much better deal: usually a third of the price, and they throw in a free (good but not great) breakfast buffet. The TdI has the better location, because you can walk to Urubamba restaurants, but a taxi to those restaurants from the Sonesta is less than $3, and there are a couple of similar good restaurants in Yucay (2 miles away, where the Sonesta is located).

Yes... we had 2 tickets. Day 1: MP; Day 2: MP + Montana

Bus tickets AC-MP: Return 19USD; O/W 10USD

Based on my visit there, you'd miss the time when MP is the most empty - after 3PM.

If debating between bus and walking up - be prepared to wake up very early in any case the bus lines before 6AM was super long already. Although I'm guessing it depends on when you're there...
Unless you are an anthropologist, I can't imagine getting good value seeing MP for 2 days, as every day will cost you $45 for admission and $19 for the bus. There's just not that much to see there. Even doing everything (if your legs hold out) would take much less than a day. I did notice that the time around 7 am is a horrible time to head to MP, and 1:30 is an even worse time to return to AC. The best strategy is probably to arrive at MP between noon and 1:30, see the peripheral sites, and then see the main complex in the late afternoon. If you go off-season, I don't think you need this strategy.

Last edited by iahphx; Aug 19, 2014 at 9:27 am Reason: more info
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke777
My GF and I are doing the exact same thing over Labor Day Weekend. Personally wishing we avoided a night in AC (I've been before), but GF wants to see MP at sunrise. We're heading from AC/MP back to Pokoy and the PDI in Cusco for two nights. Can't wait!
Tell your girlfriend to sleep in and go in the afternoon. Dawn at MP is massively overrated (kind of like dawn at Angkor Wat) and lots of hassle, as everyone else will be (foolishly) trying to do the same thing, and the Peruvians struggle to provide the necessary buses/ticket takers for the horde. Afternoon visits will be FAR more pleasant in peak season.

BTW, if you're going to MP in peak season, get your tickets several weeks in advance (TheRewardBoss has the instructions) because the official ticketing system is currently FUBAR and you'll want to avoid the possible disappointment/aggravation of buying the tickets close in).

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
I struggled to get responses from DUP as well. It has taken multiple emails. Sometimes you just have to hit that resend button.
I can report that DUP again provided good service once we finally arrived -- and they will help you get advance MP tickets if you need them (very helpful if you need the discounted children's tickets, which are not available online). Owner Sabino seems to be doing quite well: he just bought a 20+ person van (which you probably won't see as an independent traveler). I was trying to find a way to tell him to tell his wife (Karina) to more promptly answer the emails, but I couldn't work it into our conversation. BTW, TheRewardBoss is doing a nice multipart write-up of his Sacred Valley trip, and he has another driver recommendation. Other drivers/guides I contacted in advance were considerably more expensive. I'm sure there are other good deals out there, though, if you're willing to wing it or do a bunch more research. The great deals on drivers is a thing of the past, though, because gasoline now costs $5/gallon in Cusco.

Last edited by iahphx; Aug 19, 2014 at 9:34 am Reason: more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.