Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/climateguides/peru/

Thanks!

I hear you re the desire to maximize your points. But I agree with AAB and SF that Cuzco is well worth at least a day or two. For one thing, it has Sacsayhuaman, which I'd consider the second most impressive Inca ruins after Machu Picchu. Plus some good restaurants, shops, cathedrals and squares that have a lot going on (including, at the main square, restaurants where you can relax over a meal and drink while gazing down on the action below). And while you can get nice sweaters and other alpaca goods in other places, its many shops have the best selections.

Will your visit to Peru include places other than the Sacred Valley? If so, you might cut out something so that you can spend the time you'd like in both Urubamba and Cuzco. For example, I'd keep time in Lima to an absolute minimum.

Finalle, be award that January is the rainiest time of year in that part of the country. People still go then and have great times; you might just get on-and-off showers, with some sun. But you also run the risk of longer stretches of rain, which would especially be a drag if you're visiting Machu Picchu. Here is a month-by-month climate guide to parts of Peru, FYI:

http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/climateguides/peru/
Thanks so much to all for your thoughtful replies: I'm still in two minds. If I was paying cash, it'd definitely be 4 nights TdI and 1 night Cuzco. My 1 week in Peru is quite trim already with the first night at Westin Lima (arriving 11pm), then 2 nights at Hotel Paracas, and then flying to Cuzco.

Will have to put some more thought into it, but thanks again for your input!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:26 am
Used to be highman123

Just completed my stay & review!

Overall I really liked the hotel - it's a luxurious oasis with great service in a fantastic location. However it's not cheap with $110 and 6,000 points per night. It's also pretty isolated and not much else can be done in the area. There are a number of hotels in the Cusco area that will give you better deals and Cuzco is a more interesting places with a city center that is a valid destination in its own right.

http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275...chu_picchu.php
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: United Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just finished up a 2 night stay here over Thanksgiving. Wished I had spent more time here.
The hotel is amazing. Stayed on points. Was upgraded to a Junior Suite as a Platinum. Even comped a third person's breakfast for us each morning.

Regarding costs for tours etc, they did quote us absurd rates. The tour company within the hotel quoted us $140 per person (3 of us) for a 6 hour tour to Ollyantatambo and Pisac. The concierge then quoted us 400 PEN for 3 of us for a taxi. We walked out of the hotel and to the gas station. Found a cabbie there who said he would take us to Ollyantatambo, Maras and Morai...6 hour tour....negotiated it down to 180 PEN.

Next day took us to Pisac and then back to the hotel and dropped us off to the train station for 100 PEN.

In case anyone wants his contact number is 948957795. His name is Antonio. Nice guy. Not much English but you can get by. Beat up station wagon but it will get you wherever you need to go.

Also, we paid 80 PEN to get from Cusco airport to the TDI. Just stick to 80, sooner or later someone will accept it.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:41 pm

I just started planning my first trip to Peru, and would like some opinions on an itinerary. I have some flexibility on the length of stay. I'd be going in early February (I know it might be a little wet). My wife and I are fluent in Spanish so communicating won't be a problem.

My plan is to stay 5 nights at TdI, but I'm not quite sure how much time to reserve for Cusco and maybe a day or two in Lima. My plan is to arrive in Lima one day, catch a flight to Cusco and on to TdI. I might be willing to stop somewhere along the way between Cusco and TdI, since my flight will probably get to Cusco early morning.

I will probably arrange a private car with Sabino, as he seems well regarded here.

Day 0: Depart US, arrive in Lima very early in the morning of day 1.

Day 1: Sleep some after a very long trip, hang around Urubamba that day.

Day 2: Some local sightseeing with private car. I'm still researching the various sites mentioned: Chinchero, Maras, Salineras, Moray, Pisac, Ollanta, etc.

Day 3: Day trip to Machu Picchu. I will take an early train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes and come back sometime in the afternoon.

QUESTIONS:

1.) I didn't see any discussion here on whether to use Peru Rail or Inca Rail. Inca Rail seems a little cheaper and their site a little more responsive. Is there much real difference between the companies?

I found this web site interesting, but I have no idea how current the information is. The Trains section describes the two train companies.

2.) Can the guide (e.g. Jose Luis mentioned above) take care of purchasing bus and park tickets?

3.) Would rain make the climb to Huayna Picchu more difficult than during the dry season?

Day 4: Day trip to other Sacred Valley attractions from the list above.

Day 5: I would like to do some local hiking/nature walks. Is that possible in the area? I saw some comments above about Moray, but no real reports on other things to do. If nothing else, I might just relax a day.

QUESTION:

Rafting is also an option, and I think there should be water in the rivers at this time. Does anyone one have a recommendation for a tour company that does this activity?

Day 6: Move to PdI in Cusco mid-morning/noon, explore Cusco.

Day 7: More Cusco. I could stay up to 5 nights in Cusco, but I'm not sure there's enough to do for so long, especially since I will have already done the Sacred Valley the previous 5 days. I wouldn't mind staying 5 days here with the 5th Night Free promotion, but I also don't want to get bored.

Day 8: Travel to Lima. Probably stay at Westin Lima. I have lots of Starpoints to use for this trip. The other option is the 4 Points in Miraflores, which I hear is a nicer part of town. Not sure yet what to do. I could also skip Lima altogether, flying in just in time for a late flight back to the US. However, my wife insists we should visit since we've come this far. I think she might be right and at least we should take a look at the place, even though something like Urubamba and Cusco are more to our liking.

Day 9: Lima

Day 9.5/10: Travel back to US. My flight leaves at 2:35 in the morning so I'd check out on day 9, have a day of activities and head to the airport late in the evening.

My other option is to stay in Lima the first day or two, then at the last day depart Cusco in time to make my 2:35 am flight from Lima. My flight arrives in Lima at 1:00 am and it might be best to head for a hotel and rest that first day, then continue on to Urubamba a day or two later.

Some friends also recommended Puno and Lake Titicaca, but that is a long way away. I don't want to spend much time getting in between locations, and would rather be a little more in-depth wherever I go.

Any opinions on these options?

This is my first trip to South America and I don't know when I'll be back. It may be my only trip to Peru, since I want to go to Chile, Argentina, Brazil after this. I prefer to go to one place at a time and not be rushed by packing everything into a short period of time.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
emu, if I'm understanding your itinerary correctly, you're thinking of spending nine nights in Peru, but as you said you're somewhat flexible. Based on that, my advice would be that you consider the following:

1. As you're already thinking, connect through Lima to Cuzco the same day you arrive, with Sabino picking you up and taking you to TdI.
2. Six nights at TdI, with one or two days just hanging out there and in Urubamba (where it's located) , another one doing Machu Picchu and parts of two more bopping around to other Sacred Valley sights.
3. Three nights at Cuzco, which is a nice city that has cafes, restaurants, shops and sights to explore.
4. Transit via Lima on the same day you fly back to the USA. If you want to check out Lima a bit, you could (I assume) leave your bags at the airport, spend the afternoon in Miraflores and have dinner there, then go back to the airport. Given that parts of Lima are unsafe, you'd want to check out in advance where it's safe to walk around during the day (certainly that would include Miraflores) and how to handle getting around at night, and perhaps set up a car to take you around...but I'm no expert on this, so others can give you better advice on this front.

We spent a couple of afternoons in Lima and weren't wowed by our admittedly very limited exposure to the place, even including Miraflores. I'd compare it unfavorably with Buenos Aires and Santiago, for instance. But you should be there during the time of year when it might be sunniest (unlike up in the Sacred Valley), so perhaps that will make it a bit better. Certainly, there are some fine restaurants and there is an outdoor shopping mall in Miraflores, on the cliffs overlooking the sea, that is pleasant to walk around and might be a good place for lunch, coffee or drinks.

If you decide to shave a day off TdI or Cuzco, I'd recommend a night or two in Ollantaytambo, as it's a pleasant town with its own sights and places to hang out, plus the El Albergue hotel there is right at the railway station so you'd be located to take the first train (5:30 a.m.???) to Aguas Calientes from there. If staying at the EA, though, make sure to get a room toward the back in the garden areas so that you're not right by the train tracks. I believe #16 is best, with #15 a close second, but check out reviews at Tripadvisor.com for more information. EA has a very good restaurant as well.

Now, if you were to tack on a few more days, there are no shortage of other options in Peru. What we did was spend four nights at the very nice seaside Starwood property, the Hotel Paracas, about a 3.5 hour bus ride from Lima. It will be hot and sunny there that time of year. The beach there is nothing to speak of at all - the water might even be crammed with big jellyfish - but there's a fantastic island bird sanctuary that you can take motorized boats to and the town of Paracas itself is a basic Peruvian summer resort place...nothing really fancy, but friendly and with some good seafood, walking distance from the HP. I'd recommend at least three nights there.

As for your questions:

1. Sorry, I don't know the difference between the two rail lines.
2. Jose Luis is really only good as a guide for MP and perhaps other places. I don't think he sets up buying the other stuff. Sandido does, I believe, as does the Tikry travel agency at the TdI.
3. Definitely do NOT do the Huayna Picchu trek if it's slippery. Parts of it are very steep and not traction-friendly.

FWIW, I found some of the forum discussions at Tripadvisor useful in planning out trip.

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:12 am

Thanks, TR. Great review above. It seems I'll be following in your footsteps in at TdI and PdI. Both sound like great properties and the area has been on my to-do list for a long time.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Just to add my two cents, I would actually go with your initial plan to spend a day or two in Lima. I know that my opinion differs a bit from others here, but my fiancee and I loved spending time in the city and I think people do themselves a disservice by just passing through on the way to Cusco and the Sacred Valley (not to discount anything from those, because we had obviously an amazing time there).

Lima has excellent food and drink, cool neighborhoods, and overall a fun vibe. You can easily spend a full day walking around Miraflores and Barranca, have an amazing ceviche lunch, visit some fun coffee shops or local markets, and take advantage of a vibrant nightlife. I actually thought the historical central city was well worth a visit, too.

(And I'm sure there are many recommendations elsewhere on this board, but figured it would be worth including here since the question of "should I bother spending time on Lima?")

We stayed at the Westin, which was in more of the business district, but a relatively cheap cab ride to Miraflores and anywhere else you might want to go. I'd recommend that over the "better location" of the Four Points - really quality property. There's a not-very-active thread on it (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html).
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
3. Definitely do NOT do the Huayna Picchu trek if it's slippery. Parts of it are very steep and not traction-friendly.
And I do 100% agree on this front! We had beautiful weather and still had somewhat of a tough time descending (and I would say I'm a fairly good hiker/climber).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Just spent a decent chunk of time reading recent posts to this thread, and just wanted to say thank you to to all (especially SF and TR) for the detailed and thorough information.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:10 pm

DUP - Sabino

I noticed many people that stayed at Tambo recommending Sabino from DUP Tours. Has anyone used him recently? I tried using the links and searching for him but have come up empty.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by green09000
I noticed many people that stayed at Tambo recommending Sabino from DUP Tours. Has anyone used him recently? I tried using the links and searching for him but have come up empty.
Welcome to FT! I vaguely recall having to email a couple of times to get a reply at one point. But aside from that, he was very reliable. You could also try skyping to reach him or his associate.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:42 pm

Sabino drove us a couple of weeks ago. It did take a few days to get a response via email in a couple of cases, but he was great in person.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
Sabino drove us a couple of weeks ago. It did take a few days to get a response via email in a couple of cases, but he was great in person.
Not as recent (about a year ago), but similar experience. Have him take you to get some guinea pig!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by green09000
DUP/Sabino is great and I've used (and recommended) them quite a bit. He sometimes may take a couple days to get back to you but he is on it. (Or sometimes Karina responds on his behalf.)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:17 am

Have a few questions:

1. Any idea what the average low season rate for the Tambo is? I just watched the rate for the days in June I wanted jump from $240 to $310 ... (yes I realise June isn't the low season anymore, just wanted to know if I should reconsider this trip/stay...)

2. Has anyone taken the Vistadome train from Cuzco to Agua Calientes? Would you say it was worth it for the view and experience? Or would it be pretty much the same thing as the train from Ollanta to AC?

The way I have it planned, I'd have to travel back to Cuzco/Poroy from TdI, to catch the morning train to AC/MP, just for the experience. Not sure if it's worth it. Have planned it that way because I've had altitude sickness before, so I'm leaving Cuzco till the end. But I don't want MP to be the last few days of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.