Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG plt, United Plt, HHonors diamond , club carlson gold,
Recent stay

We just completed a stay and have mixed reviews

Check in: the hotel is amazing when you walk in. Upon starting the check in process we were told thank you for your loyalty as plt but we have no upgrades available. After the process we were taken to our room with luggage already there. We realized that nobody gave out passports back and had to hunt them down. The room was nice, but small and no outdoor space. We tried to log in to Internet with was not working and took 30-45 minutes to get help with that. In the meantime we noticed ants all over the floor and door. Call the front desk resulted in they were full and could not move us. They sent housekeeping to wipe them up. We were not satisfied with this and went back to the front at which point they said they could move us to an upgrade. Still no Internet working we went and had a drink while they moved us- best pisco sours. When we got to the new room it was the same as the first with now a small outdoor area- nice with no ants but now Internet said too many users try again later.
We also tried to call the restaurant to make reservations during this period and were hung up on and given wrong extensions for 20 minutes so called the gm. She called back and said restaurant is full till 830 and we could go then. Not a relaxing experience all in all. The gm did send apology letter with chocolate to the room later.

Resort: esthetics is really nice and rooms comfortable ; however, for a remote resort with not much around I would think there would be a bigger pool area, a jacuzzi, fire pit.... The restaurant was good. It was not full all night so not sure why we cold not have earlier reservations. There is also a restarant nearby tres keros which was good and another guest said to go to el Huerto. Book spa treatments early as the spa was pretty booked up. The one treatment we had was very good.

Staff: very friendly but some operational issues- they said they were very full and that may have caused some of the issues. Concierge was very helpful. After the first day the issues did resolve somewhat and staff was very attentive.

Tikuriy: they were able to book all items needed for trip to mp however even though we booked months in advance we were unable to secure a train back to the hotel's station. They also quoted 400 usd a person to be charged in usd ; however, at check out was charged in soles and came to 440 usd a person. Have emailed them since with no reply. Some people booked on their own and saved lots of money.
Also when we arrived all other tours were booked. We were able to get the concierge book us a private car to pisac which turned out to be better anyways.

Overall, the experience in mp was amazing. If I were to do it again I would look into staying in Cuzco at the orient express hotel and take the hyram Bingham train. The ticket is more but includes entrance breakfast and dinner. The train looked like it would have been a great experience. The lunch you get when you book through tikariy is a buffet lunch and not good. Tambo was nice but far from everything and the hotel lacked some amenities you would expect at a secluded resort. The pool only had 5 lounge chairs and no hot tub. We did enjoy drinks in the outdoor seating area. The other option was to stay in aguas caliente. Both Cuzco and aguas caliente were cute towns with more to do and explore within walking distance. It would also save time either by being closer to the airport or mp. Tambo is remote and quiet. Cuzco and tambo is better than staying in aguas caliente if you want to explore other areas such as pisac.

I agree with previous posts that taking the train from olyanta actually saves time if staying at this hotel and has more options. The hotels stop is easy to walk to. The trip to mp in one day is totally doable as we had plenty of time and even explored aguas calientes. We left at 620 am and came home at 820 pm. You need to book train to aguas calientes, bus tickets to and from mp, and entrance to mp. This can all be done from peru rail. A tour guide was useful. If the weather is nice a packed lunch sitting outside would be nice. The hyram Bingham train would have food included.

We also stayed at hotel paracas and Westin lima, both owned by the same investment group as tambo and had a better experience.

Last edited by rgamay; Dec 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Machu Picchu from TBI

Just got back and figured I would share my impressions. Note that today is New Year´s Eve so I would expect that conditions would be different most days. We booked the train ticket 2 months ahead of time on Machu Picchu rail. I thought I had bought tickets to Machu Picchu about a month ago, but it turns out I didnt. Figured we didnt need the bus tickets ahead of time. And last night I flagged down a cab on the road who said he would pick us up at 6;30 am to take us to Ollantaytambo for the 7:20 train. So those were my preparations.

Fast forward to yesterday, where I just wanted to confirm my plans with the concierge. She explained to me that my reservation for MP had been cancelled, apparently this happens all the time (there is a good thread on this on TripAdvisor). So we went on to the government website, where it said there were only 108 tickets left. Despite the heroic efforts of Joel from Tikariy (and if anyone from the hotel is reading this, please send my thanks to him, I was unable to thank him in person before I left) we were not able to buy tickets. Joel assured me that when the folks in Aguascalientes saw my passport and saw how far I had come, they would sell me a ticket. Despite his assurances, I still had a restless night. I also asked the concierge about the boxed lunch, she said that you cant take food in so I didnt see the point

So we got up today and you guessed it, the cab didnt show up (in restrospect I should have known better than to reserve with a cab driver who didnt own a phone). I asked the concierge if he could call me a cab to Ollanta and he said no. Fortunately one of the valets heard him, and he said of course (I had an identical experience at the Westin Lima), and the cab was there in less than 5 minutes. I paid 65 soles which I´m sure is higher than the going rate, but we were in a hurry (we arranged for his brother to pick us up upon our return, I asked for a precio mas bajo and we got it for 50 soles, which I think is still higher than the going rate but it was New Years Eve...). I would recommend you leave plenty of time, as there are many obstacles (tractors and other slow moving vehicles, part of the road was washed out, the slow trek through Ollanta) makes it a 40 min journey. And every train I saw left on time...

The train ride was nothing short of amazing. It´s summer now, and with the rain the terrain is incredibly lush, plus you are travelling along a raging river. It took around 1 hr 40 mins

So the moment of truth in Aguascalientes at the government office. After the peole in front of me were turned away, I stepped up and asked for dos bolletos entranjeros adultos and uno nino (I always think a little Spanish helps). She explained to me that they were indeed sold out, but had tickets for tomorrow. I explained that I had to go today. She said no problem, since she highlighted that the tickets were bought today, they would let me in (still did not totally remove the pit in my stomach)

Next was the bus tickets - 43 soles roundtrip for adults and somewhat less for kids. the ticket office is about 1000 feet up the hill from where you get on the bus. I also tried to get cash from the ATM right at the bottom of the hill when you exit the souvenir market between the train and bus stations and it was out of order - locals tell me that happens a lot. There is a second one about a 1000 feet down the street on your right that was working. One thing to note if you plan to exchange dollars - the Peruvians generally will not take bills with even small rips in them

The bus ride is interesting with lots of switchbacks. Then came the second moment of truth . and yes they did let us in with a ticket for tomorrow. Contrary to reports, you can bring in food (I had some grapes that I had forgotten to take out of my bag and they never looked at it). We did it without a guide, but had an excellent guide book that we bought at the airport - it was written by a former guide and has a dark red cover. I saw a couple of other guides carrying it, and a guide asked me to borrow it (and when I suggested to him that the fall of Fujimori was precipitated from the curse of the chipped rock from the beer commercial meant we shouldnt drink Cusquena he invited us along on his tour)

I just wanted to share my experience with you as it was somewhat extreme. So if you wonder if the cost of the package tours is worth it, keep in mind you could avoid all of the hassles listed above (I would say for my wife and me the cost for everything was about $220 per person and we didnt have a guide)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I thought this hotel was wonderful. The staff was really topnotch and helpful at all points. Also two more thumbs up for Tres Keros. We also walked into town, directly across the highway, and went to the local market. got some really tasty fruit and my son bought a blanket (keep in mind that transactions here will be conducted entirely in spanish)

They arranged a car to take us to Pisac for lunch and the market, and then to a hotel in Cusco for 120 soles. I had negotiated this rate with a local driver, but when i called him I got his sister who said he was not yet awake and wouldn't be getting up until 10am at the earliest (being new years day, i had my suspicions about his condition). so the concierge said he would get someone else for the same price, which he did

was not a huge fan of the pisac market - stalls and stalls of the same stuff. we did buy a couple of things, but the whole idea of a ¨craft market¨gets diluted when obviously a lot of it came from the same place. we ate at a wood oven (horn) place on the corner of the square. the food was good, except for the cut, which made my son cry, and was really hard to eat
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:41 pm

Tres Keros is great. They open up around 6:30pm. I think with an appetizer, a few drinks, and two entress... it's between $50-60 after tip.

I'll update later with photos from my visit on Dec 22nd. Great hotel, but there were a lot of problems with the internet during my stay.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:02 pm

December 22nd stay. Room 251, which was at the very north end of the hotel and was on the side facing the mountains and not towards the river.

The internet was almost non-functioning while we were staying at the hotel. The connection via wifi and wired connection were down for most of our 3 night stay. As others have mentioned this is the "rainy season" and the hotel was at a very low occupancy. So the internet problems were more than likely not due to the number of guests using it.

The restaurant and spa had excellent service, but I cannot say the same for the front deskl. They had a hard time dealing with issues we had with the room. There were problems with the lights in the room. They would constantly flicker and would then would turn off and on randomly (Video). We contacted the front desk several times about the lights and the internet, but nothing was ever done during our stay. No notes were ever taken on our account, so each time I called I had to re-explain the problems. For some reason there was never a manager or supervisor working, maybe due to the upcoming holiday?The problems with the room were only addressed by the front desk after I posted a twitter post directed at SPG. We were given an apology and a free meal.

It was also difficult to get an electronic copy of the portfolio. I was sent a photocopy of a handwritten bill that which was just a list of charges. There was nothing on the bill that indicated what the charges were for. Beyond the issues with the room, internet, and communication with the front desk it is a beautiful hotel and a great cash and points value.

To play it safe I would print off your tickets to the train, park, or any tours before you get to the hotel. They do have computers in the business center, but they were suffering the same problems as our room.

Deluxe Room:
Photos
Video

Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
I'm planning a same day visit to and return from MP. The return trains arrive at the Ollantaytambo station at 6.56pm, 8.18pm, and 11.01pm. What's the best or cheapest way to arrange transportation from the Ollantaytambo station to the hotel? Which arrival time would be easiest? Would it be too late or dangerous to find transportation if I arrive at 11.01pm? Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyersky1
I'm planning a same day visit to and return from MP. The return trains arrive at the Ollantaytambo station at 6.56pm, 8.18pm, and 11.01pm. What's the best or cheapest way to arrange transportation from the Ollantaytambo station to the hotel? Which arrival time would be easiest? Would it be too late or dangerous to find transportation if I arrive at 11.01pm? Thanks!
I would recommend using the hotel transfer. Very comfortable cars - possibly more expensive than other options but certainly safer.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sphinx
I would recommend using the hotel transfer. Very comfortable cars - possibly more expensive than other options but certainly safer.
What time would the train that arrives right back at the hotel arrive? Maybe you could just change to that. Seems like it was ~8PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:25 pm

For some reason I cannot book that train online. I think it was discussed earlier in this thread that you need to book it when you get there. Do you think it's a good idea to wait until I get to the hotel and book it then? I'm afraid there will be no seats left.

Originally Posted by slocouple
What time would the train that arrives right back at the hotel arrive? Maybe you could just change to that. Seems like it was ~8PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
For some reason I cannot book that train online. I think it was discussed earlier in this thread that you need to book it when you get there. Do you think it's a good idea to wait until I get to the hotel and book it then? I'm afraid there will be no seats left.
I had the same problem and contacted Peru Rail about this issue. They told me that they are having problems within their system displaying availability for the trains that stop in Urubamba, but that as long as you purchased the 601 train that departs Ollanta at 8am and the 304 train that departs AC for Ollanta, you will be able to board the train at Urubamba and then ride it until Urubamba for no additional charge. The 601 train departs Urubamba at 6:50am.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:52 pm

I did a same day visit to MP from the Tambo. There is a cab spot right around the corner from the hotel. I get that most people use caution when taking a cab in Peru, but in this area the cabs seemed much more safe than in Lima. I think you will find that if you take an early train to MP you will get a lot done in a short amount of time. Once it starts to get dark you aren't exactly going to want to stick around MP and the town below where you take the bus has a few restaurants, but not really worth your time. I'd catch the train that takes you back at 7 or 8pm. There will be plenty of cabs available on your way back.

Also, as many people have pointed out... taking the train to and from the hotel is not only more expensive, but takes much more time. When you compare doing that with taking a taxi to/from Ollantaytambo, the taxi is clearly the best choice unless you are in a large group or have kids.

We went up to MP without a guide and did it in one day stress free. I feel like I enjoyed visiting MP more without a guide because you soak in the beauty of the place and go at your own pace. When you have a guide they bring you around and point things out.. we noticed many guides giving tours when we were up there and I think we were very happy with our choice.

There is probably two groups... one that likes doing it all on their own and doing it at their own pace.. and the other group that is willing to pay more and have the comfort knowing everything is planned out and that also enjoy hearing more about the history. I just felt this is one occasion where I was happy to kind of sit down and soak everything in. I wouldn't worry too much about the train, just make sure you get tickets to the park. Try and print out everything before you get to the Tambo as the internet can be hit and miss.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by PRHusky
I had the same problem and contacted Peru Rail about this issue. They told me that they are having problems within their system displaying availability for the trains that stop in Urubamba, but that as long as you purchased the 601 train that departs Ollanta at 8am and the 304 train that departs AC for Ollanta, you will be able to board the train at Urubamba and then ride it until Urubamba for no additional charge. The 601 train departs Urubamba at 6:50am.
Thanks. But isn't the price online just from MP-Ollanta? How would I pay the full price. Also 8am maybe too late since I have a ticket to climb Huyana Picchu at 10am.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'd catch the train that takes you back at 7 or 8pm. There will be plenty of cabs available on your way back.

We went up to MP without a guide and did it in one day stress free. I feel like I enjoyed visiting MP more without a guide because you soak in the beauty of the place and go at your own pace. When you have a guide they bring you around and point things out.. we noticed many guides giving tours when we were up there and I think we were very happy with our choice.

Try and print out everything before you get to the Tambo as the internet can be hit and miss.
Thanks! How much approximately is the taxi? Are there any particular companies to choose or avoid? I also like doing things alone without a guide usually. Did you use a cellphone? Any recommendations of how to obtain prepaid local sim card with a data plan?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
[QUOTE=flyersky1;20324843]Thanks. But isn't the price online just from MP-Ollanta? How would I pay the full price. Also 8am maybe too late since I have a ticket to climb Huyana Picchu at 10am.

According to Peru Rail, the price of the train ticket to/from Urubamba is the same as the train ticket to/from Ollanta. Maybe what you can do is depart earlier from Ollanta and return to Urubamba.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
[QUOTE=PRHusky;20326465]
Thanks. But isn't the price online just from MP-Ollanta? How would I pay the full price. Also 8am maybe too late since I have a ticket to climb Huyana Picchu at 10am.
I agree it's too late leaving from Tambo, but you could return there. It does take a long time, as you chug-chug-chug along there at the end, but if you feel unsure of the taxis or safety, it's the thing to do. We booked the outbound ourselves from Peru Rail online, taking a cab to catch the a
fternoon train, and then spending one night at Aguas Calientes. You'll have to check Peru Rail to see if any train would get you there in time. You might feel far more comfortable leaving at first light from Aguas Calientes.
Coming back to Tambo is easy. The travel agent at Tambo, Tikariy, arranged that part at no additional charge.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
[QUOTE=slocouple;20332822]
Originally Posted by PRHusky
I agree it's too late leaving from Tambo, but you could return there. It does take a long time, as you chug-chug-chug along there at the end, but if you feel unsure of the taxis or safety, it's the thing to do. We booked the outbound ourselves from Peru Rail online, taking a cab to catch the a
fternoon train, and then spending one night at Aguas Calientes. You'll have to check Peru Rail to see if any train would get you there in time. You might feel far more comfortable leaving at first light from Aguas Calientes.
Coming back to Tambo is easy. The travel agent at Tambo, Tikariy, arranged that part at no additional charge.
Does anyone know if the hotel would store luggage overnight. Would like to stay one night in Aguas Caliente, in between a 3 night stay at Tambo, and hoping to bring 1-2 rollaboards with us. (4 adults, 2 children traveling). Hoping to book for next January before the points increase. Schedule not loaded. Emails to hotel unanswered.

Last edited by punkmonkey; Feb 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm Reason: Add additional

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.