Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Stubtify
I'm supposed to stay there in just 3 months. Hope this is just a glitch too, but it looks suspiciously absent from any mention on spg.com. Also zero response from spg on it has me thinking something is up. Response time for most issues discussed in this forum can be measured in minutes, this has been hours.
I have 2 stays coming up in early April -- called today and spoke with Platinum Concierge, who assured me it was just a computer problem -- but I don't know. Something felt fishy.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plat., PG Ambassador Plat.,
And now the entire SPG site is down from China...

fingers crossed...hope they won't drop SPG.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I have had an email from my Ambassador saying they have called the hotel directly and it is confirmed they have been having issues with their systems over the last few days and it is nothing more than that!

She forwarded my queries to the hotel that way and they were happy to deal with them so it appears to be nothing more than an IT issue!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the update, Todd.

Just checked spg.com and the hotel is there, available for bookings.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
80 soles for the ride from the airport to the hotel. US$80 for a full day Sacred Valley tour (admission fees extra).

Frankly, I think these prices are fair, but you could probably get them a little cheaper. I'm not sure what would happen if you said you were quoted lower rates elsewhere and wondered if they could go a little lower.

Always a problem when you're staying at a hotel like the Tambo: you pretty much look like Mr. Moneybags. Of course, by Western (but not Peruvian) standards, these prices are very reasonable, so you might be willing to "spread the wealth around." I was, but I wouldn't want to pay more.
LOL, his own web site he included with his email response quotes $69 Cusco RT, and $99 sacred valley.

I was just quoted $120 for Sacred Valley tour and $90 round trip from Cusco by Sabino. So prices have gone up by 50%!!! I suppose gas may be more expensive now. These are in a yaris, by the way. If we go by H1 it is $150 for sacred valley and $140 RT Cusco.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:13 pm

Add breakfast to a C&P stay?

Anyone know if it is possible to add breakfast to a C&P stay here? I'd like to just add it to the room charge and not pay per person daily. The difference between the room rate, and the room rate + breakfast is $15 for two persons, per day.

The cost of breakfast is $22 per person, so that is almost 3x the cost per day. Over the stay that is a savings of over $100 if we can just add it onto the room.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
to clarify

I don't think you can, though the best thing to do is to call the hotel.

The breakfast is excellent. I highly recommend it.

Anyone know if it is possible to add breakfast to a C&P stay here? I'd like to just add it to the room charge and not pay per person daily. The difference between the room rate, and the room rate + breakfast is $15 for two persons, per day.

The cost of breakfast is $22 per person, so that is almost 3x the cost per day. Over the stay that is a savings of over $100 if we can just add it onto the room.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Stubtify

The cost of breakfast is $22 per person, so that is almost 3x the cost per day. Over the stay that is a savings of over $100 if we can just add it onto the room.
Ha! If only. I stayed there with family and friends when the hotel first opened and at the time breakfast was included on C&P! I agree that the breakfast is fantastic, though maybe not worth $22 pp unless you really plan to gorge.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
One thing we learned to do at Tambo del Inka and Hotel Paracas was just order room service. I can't remember the exact slip of paper, but we ended up finding out you could check multiple boxes all for one price. If you don't mind carbs, we got cereal, toast basket, bananas, danish basket, pot of coffee, yogurt, and orange juice all for the same price as going down to the lobby. This was more than enough to feed two, but YMMV. There were other categories that also had more protein options. So go ahead and check every box!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jvcarter6
I am planning a trip to this property in a few weeks and was looking for advice on how to work in the trip to Machu Picchu. I was planning to stay at this property for 2-3 nights during my travels.

Would you advise taking the train from the hotel to Machu Picchu, exploring Machu Piccu for the day, staying the night in Aguas Calientes, spending part of the next day at Machu Piccu, and then heading back to the hotel for another night or two?

In doing some research, I am guessing that it isn't that feasible, or preferred, to only do a day trip to Machu Piccu from the hotel. Given the times quoted on the website for arrival and departure, it doesn't seem like enough time.

I have made 3 consecutive day reservations right now, but starting to think I should split it up.

Thanks for any advice you can give from your experiences.
We're looking for similar advice as we'll be at this property in April 2012. Based on what I've read in this thread and other online resources, it appears that we cannot climb HP the same day we leave Tambo, so we'll need to spend at least one night either at MP (most likely the Sanctuary Lodge, though it is quite pricey) or in Aguas Calientes and then do the hike the next day. Is that correct?

Staying close to MP for a night sounds like it provides the best opportunity to see MP without the crowds, as most people are there from late morning until the early afternoon. If we spend the night at the Sanctuary Lodge, we could spend the afternoon (after the crowds leave) for day one at MP and then go back to hike HP the morning (before the crowds arrive) of day two. This seems quite convenient though also quite pricey as it would require 2 tickets/person to MP (one on day one and another for the next day when we climb HP) and a room at the Sanctuary Lodge.

What have others done if they want to use the Tambo hotel as a base but also want to hike HP?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by johnep1
What have others done if they want to use the Tambo hotel as a base but also want to hike HP?
Not sure why this would be a problem. Just get tickets for the second group into HP. We left Tambo early in the morning, took a train to Ollanta, got a 7:30ish train, and went straight into HP.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:10 pm

In October, I took the train from Urubamba in the morning and got to Machu Picchu in plenty of time to climb Huayna Picchu in the second group. Once I got back from the hike, I stayed and explored Machu Picchu pretty much till it closed for the day. Took the train back to Ollanta and then a taxi back to the Tambo del Inka.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
We're looking for similar advice as we'll be at this property in April 2012. Based on what I've read in this thread and other online resources, it appears that we cannot climb HP the same day we leave Tambo, so we'll need to spend at least one night either at MP (most likely the Sanctuary Lodge, though it is quite pricey) or in Aguas Calientes and then do the hike the next day. Is that correct?

Staying close to MP for a night sounds like it provides the best opportunity to see MP without the crowds, as most people are there from late morning until the early afternoon. If we spend the night at the Sanctuary Lodge, we could spend the afternoon (after the crowds leave) for day one at MP and then go back to hike HP the morning (before the crowds arrive) of day two. This seems quite convenient though also quite pricey as it would require 2 tickets/person to MP (one on day one and another for the next day when we climb HP) and a room at the Sanctuary Lodge.

Our trip is upcoming in a couple of weeks, but we are staying 2 nights at Tambo; taking the train to Aguas Calientes and staying one night at Terrazas del Inca, visiting MP; taking the train and staying one more night at Tambo after the visit to MP.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
MP, Tambo, Aguas Calientes

What have others done if they want to use the Tambo hotel as a base but also want to hike HP?[/QUOTE]

We spent the night before our hike in Aguas Calientes, then took the bus up the mountain for the hike. The Sanctuary lodge is very expensive and I don't see how it can be worth it- there are much better things to do with the extra $300-$500 in Peru.

We found that hiking the large mountain behind the site to be wonderful, and I have heard it said that actually the large mountain is a better hike than HP. There will be almost no one doing the hike in the afternoon.

Arriving at the Tambo after MP and the mountain hike was very climactic and wonderful. I can't imagine doing it any other way.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:20 pm

So, given the revenue rates are 266 all-in, would you guys say 4000 Starpoints plus $60 (or 4000+78 including taxes) is a good redemption value? I'm still trying to peg down the value of Starpoints when not redeeming across the airlines.

Last edited by mabramovich; Apr 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.