Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
The train segment from Tambo to Ollanta and back is really slow. While it's convenient to have the train station next to the hotel, for some reason it takes close to an hour and a half to go the short distance. I suggest a taxi to Ollanta and back and the train from there, could save as much as 2 hours of transit time.

We went twice in mid October and both days it was quite cloudy and raining early in the morning and we weren't able to see anything till later in the day. Additionally, most people have the same idea about getting there super early to beat the crowds from Cuzco, but I found the late afternoon to be far less crowded after the early birds headed back down the hill.

It's possible to do a day trip from Tambo without spending the night in Aquas Calientes. It's a long day especially if you catch one of the earlier trains from Ollanta. But worth it to have the hot tubs waiting for you and not having to pack/ unpack your stuff several times.

Hope this helps.
Wow -- an hour and a half extra to the hotel? That's terrible. What is it -- 15 minutes by taxi?

FWIW, there are also aguas calientes (hot springs) in Aguas if you spend the night. Not the greatest thermal soak, but cheap and acceptable.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:17 am

I agree with the poster. The ollanta - tambo train segment is so slow. better take it from ollanta. you also get a lot more choices in schedule.
from the hotel just turn right and walk five minutes to the corner gas station. that is where all the taxis are waiting. a taxi to ollanta will be about 20-30 soles and take less than 20 minutes. going back is easier.

From my experience, there is no need to do an overnight at aguas caliente. unless you hike huayna picchu, spending a day at macchu picchu will be more than enough to last you a lifetime of memories and imagery

Originally Posted by iahphx
Wow -- an hour and a half extra to the hotel? That's terrible. What is it -- 15 minutes by taxi?

FWIW, there are also aguas calientes (hot springs) in Aguas if you spend the night. Not the greatest thermal soak, but cheap and acceptable.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Just got back from a four night C&P reservation at the Tambo. Interesting stay to say the least.

Upon arrival at the Cusco Airport, we were able to secure a taxi for 60 Soles to the Hotel. Grab your bags, walk outside, talk to but ignore the offers of $100 dollars for transport from the uniformed taxi drivers - the "local" taxi drivers are directly to your right (about a stone throw away) upon exiting the airport near some concrete posts designed to stop cars.

On our way back to Cusco, we paid 120 Soles. A bit on the high side. But he was the only taxi driver there willing to drive to Cusco. The taxi driver waited for us while we toured around the center of Cusco. Plus we were on our way out of the country and I didn't really want any more Soles in my wallet. Tuvo suerte.

Mistake #1 - not updating my reservation to say three people would be staying in the room instead of two (from my original reservation). Upon check-in, we were invited to take a seat and wait for the check in paperwork to be presented to us. Drinks (water, tea) were offered and accepted. Passports were collected and upon return the front desk agent announced that we would have to pay an extra $100 (USD) per night due to the "extra" person staying in our room. Talk about sticker shock! I was able to talk the rooms manager down to $100 total. Less bad.

Mistake #2 - assuming we had access to the hot tub, steam room, and sauna. During the check in process, the front desk agent mentioned access to the "spa" was "complimentary" because of my SPG Gold status. I took the spa to mean pool, hot tub, steam room, and sauna. Explanation - the hot tub, steam room, and sauna are separated by a door and on a different level (one level below) than the pool. First night there, we got in the hot tub. Within 20 mins a pool worker was asking if we had paid to be in the hot tub. Fast forward a few minutes and we were out of the hot tub.

I took both of my "mistakes" to the Twitter and SPG. SPG helped, but wasn't able to get me out of the $100 up-charge. Lesson learned. Please learn from my mistake(s).

Other than my "mistakes", we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the hotel. 30% occupancy during our stay. Apparently during December (rainy season) and according to the GM, the occupancy will dip into the teens. Ouch. No expense was spared on the construction of this place. Not sure how they are making debt payments.

The hotel did a good job at remembering me by name and always greeting me by name. Probably because of my esteemed association with the Twitter.

Every day that we did not spend at Machu Picchu, we were able to hire a taxi cab driver (at the taxi stand to the right of the hotel near the gas station) for 100 Soles per day. They'd take us around, let us see the sites, and wait for us. Probably could have gotten a bit cheaper, but I felt that was a fair price.

There is also a bus station to the left of the hotel, about the same distance as the taxi stand from the hotel, but in the opposite direction. You can catch collective vans to Olly for 1.20-1.50 soles each way. You ride with the locals and it's a good time.

The Salt Mines are not to be missed. Fascinating.

By far, the best restaurant we ate at the entire trip was a 5 min walk from the hotel (towards the bus stop, opposite direction of the taxi stand/gas station) called "Tres Keros Restaurant Grill & Bar." The restaurant was mentioned in the Lonely Planet - Peru guide book. The resturant is run by a chef who lived state-side for awhile. Our first experience was on a Sunday night for dinner and he had turned on Sunday Night Football for us. There are probably only 7 tables in the whole restaurant. The restaurant is on a second floor; my guess is the chef lives on the first floor. We enjoyed the food so much that we return for a second dinner.

If physically-able, the Huayna Picchu side hike is a must. It'll take a good 45-60 mins to get to the top, but the views are breathtaking. Purchase your tickets directly from the government - here. The Huayna Picchu tickets include both entrance to the Park and admission to the Huayna Picchu hike.

For those interested, there is a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints directly across the street from the hotel. Meetings are held every Sunday at 9 AM (subject to change). 30 seconds from the entrance to the hotel and you are there.

Last edited by edbyu; Nov 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
For future reference, all Cash and Points stays are limited to two per room as per the rules of cash and points.

As a follow up to my earlier posts, we were able to get early check in without any upcharge. Staff was very accommodating. Full trip report with pics available here http://www.youwentwhere.com/?p=257
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG plt, United Plt, HHonors diamond , club carlson gold,
questions

I sent the following email many times to hotel and have not got a reply. Can anybody answer:

Hello,

I am planning a trip in the future. I have a few questions about the trip to Macu Pichu.
Is it possible to take the train from your hotel in the morning and come back that same night (day trip)?
How long is the ride?
How long does it take to then walk from the train to the top?
What is the cost?

Also,

What are transportation options to and from airport?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Most of that info is here https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3285 as well as on the peru rail website.

Nice hotel, great stay. They have a wonderful indoor/outdoor pool that is wonderful.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
They have a wonderful indoor/outdoor pool that is wonderful.
I'd expect a wonderful pool to be wonderful. (Sorry!)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great, useful reviews, Adam and edbyu. Thanks for sharing them.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'd expect a wonderful pool to be wonderful. (Sorry!)
Note to self : Proof posts before hitting "Submit Reply"!

Seriously, we had a great stay at this hotel about 3 months ago. Upgraded to a huge suite as Plat. Welcome amenity was cheese plate and wine.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Spa was great and I think the entire group of us were there for each of the 4 days we stayed. Breakfast at about USD$20 per person was a wide buffet spread. I would recommend this.

Town square is within walking distance of the hotel. We spent an afternoon exploring. There is an indoor market which is spread across 3 or 4 floors. On the bottom, there is a amazing array of produce and on the upper floors, lunch food and other sundries. Worth a visit if only to see the diversity of produce available locally. I for one have never seen so many varieties of potatoes together in 1 place!

Now, back to that pool. Also like to point out that you can get drinks/snack service at the pool. They have this rib dish that is to die for. We had many of those washed down with Coca-Sours ...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:46 pm

I'm getting excited about my wife and I staying here next year. To those who have been can you talk a little more about the sauna/jacuzzi areas. We'll be using the spa at least one day, but I'd like to know if that alone allows for future use of jacuzzi and sauna areas, or if it is restricted to only during time at the spa.

I must admit it is a bit of a turnoff that this area is not just open for guests, but I may just be looking for negatives... Hopefully the time at the hotel is as good as you've all had.

TIA
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA GLD
Originally Posted by rgamay
I sent the following email many times to hotel and have not got a reply. Can anybody answer:

Hello,

I am planning a trip in the future. I have a few questions about the trip to Macu Pichu.
Is it possible to take the train from your hotel in the morning and come back that same night (day trip)?
How long is the ride?
How long does it take to then walk from the train to the top?
What is the cost?

Also,

What are transportation options to and from airport?

The hotel (via Tikary) offers a train package same day return to Hotel 6:50 am departure with a 6:40pm arrive at hotel return (There is a $14 surcharge I believe to have them book it, was convenient in my case since I could not find a train back to the hotel)

We took the bus to the top (20 mins - $15.50 USD return)

Lot of options for transport are listed on this forum, for the return trip to the airport the Hotel can arrange a car for you for only $40 (Insist on a regular car not the hotel service which costs $80).

Have a fun trip.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: A|Club Gold, SPG
I don't know if it's just me... but I had a look at this property online this morning. And now it seems to have completely disapeared from SPG's website? Even the link I sent my boyfriend this morning isn't working...

Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by moumi
I don't know if it's just me... but I had a look at this property online this morning. And now it seems to have completely disapeared from SPG's website? Even the link I sent my boyfriend this morning isn't working...

Your not missing anything I get the same thing! I was looking at it yesterday also and went back just to check a couple of things before booking!
I have emailed my Ambassador and hopefully it is just a glitch when she gets back to me I will post what I find out!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:32 pm

Keeping fingers crossed here ... it would be a pity if they dropped off SPG. I was hoping for a return visit in the next year or so.

I think T+L just rated them one of the top hotels in South American or something like that too.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:24 pm

I'm supposed to stay there in just 3 months. Hope this is just a glitch too, but it looks suspiciously absent from any mention on spg.com. Also zero response from spg on it has me thinking something is up. Response time for most issues discussed in this forum can be measured in minutes, this has been hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.