Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
reasonable price

Depends on how nice the car is- a luxury service would cost you $30 from the hotel to Ollanta.

A cheap taxi (found right outside the hotel) would cost $15. Maybe less if you bargain.

Originally Posted by onlybeef42
What would be considered a reasonable price? Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Are day passes to MP hard to get or can you show up same day? I understand the Inka Trail sells out far in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
MP

During Peak season (US summer), it's a good idea to get one ahead of schedule. Should be less of problem if you're going during non-peak months
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
Are day passes to MP hard to get or can you show up same day? I understand the Inka Trail sells out far in advance.
I just got back from my trip to MP with a 4 night cash and point stay at Tambo del Inka last week. I plan to make a more thoughtful post shortly but I wanted to let everyone know my initial thoughts.

First, starting late July 2011 the Peruvian government began allowing all persons to purchase entrance tickets in advance including Huayna Picchu / Wayna Picchu passes. The site is http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/. I HIGHLYrecommend using the online site to buy your tickets in advance despite the appearance that the site is shady. Trip advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...ed_Valley.html) has some good forums explaining the spanish terms on the site. Also note that I was able to use my Cap One card which is not verified by Visa though YMMV.

If you want to do the HP/WP "climb" (despite what people say its more of an hour climb than an hour hike and yes, looking back we feel the climb was worth it though the day after the climb we were very sore.) you can reserve your spot online also. Our HP/WP ticket was for the 7AM climb however when we arrived at 9AM they still let us go.

On that point, make sure there is train availability before you book your MP tickets. We had an issue finding train availability getting to aguas calientes in time for our HP/WP climb. So despite what everything recommends we used a shady Cusco airport tour guide to get us the first perurail train. He had availability even though online there was none. The train tickets were valid, but the bus tickets they sold us to MP were not. This is why we arrived at the HP/WP trail at 9AM.

Also, note (as explained elsewhere in this thread) any transportation booked by Tambo del Inka is extremely over priced. We had great luck negotiating prices at the Urubamba taxi stand which is located at a gas station one block down the main road if you turn right when leaving the hotel. For longer trips we used a hired driver who was somewhat more expensive but very reliable.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will try to help you out.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
For catching MP at sunrise, probably yes. The train from the hotel reaches only around 10am. IIRC, there is an earlier train leaving from Ollantaytambo that reaches around 730a or so, so that might be a possibility. Ollantaytambo is about a 20-30 min cab ride from the hotel. You can check perurail.com for schedules.
Why not just take a cab all the way to Aguas Calientes? I don't see the point of stopping at Ollantaytambo, especially if you can take the train back to Tambo. How long is the cab ride all the way to Aguas?

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:40 pm

Just got back from this hotel.

taxi outside the hotel to ollanta: was quoted 30 soles, got it for 25 ($10).
taxi from ollanta to urubamba: quoted 15 ($6) soles, didnt negotiate.
i bought my perurail tix from concierge for 136 RT. I couldve bought it at LIMA airport for 120 RT. everyone at the hotel meets at 630 at the lobby and walk to station 5 minutes away.
taxi from cuzco airport to hotel: quoted 150 soles, got it for 80.
going back got a taxi for 70 soles.
My trip report here : http://adjtravels.blogspot.com

Last edited by tonyims; Sep 9, 2011 at 4:31 am Reason: add machu pichu trip report
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:38 pm

Why not just take a cab all the way to Aguas Calientes? I don't see the point of stopping at Ollantaytambo, especially if you can take the train back to Tambo. How long is the cab ride all the way to Aguas?

Thanks for the help!
There are no roads to/from Aguas Calientes you can only go by train or foot. See the Google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?gcx=w&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=nl)
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA GLD
Peru Rail from the hotel to MP seems to be either sold out or pricey. Incarail seems to be much cheaper, the only downside being I have to take a cab to Olly from the hotel since they only run out of Olly.

Anyone used Inca rail? reviews?

Hotel wants US$25 each way to Olly train station, pricing seems to be on the higher end. Are cabs readily available at 6am?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tonyims

i bought my perurail tix from concierge for 136 RT. I couldve bought it at LIMA airport for 120 RT. everyone at the hotel meets at 630 at the lobby and walk to station 5 minutes away.
Good to know.

Nice photos in your TR!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by tonyims

Excellent trip report. Do you know the elevation at this hotel?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by 360guy
It's a few thousand feet lower than Cuzco. I would guess around 9000 feet.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
It's a few thousand feet lower than Cuzco. I would guess around 9000 feet.
Thank you
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by 360guy
Its lower than Cuzco but higher than machu pichu. We chose this hotel bec im somewhat hard of breathing. and I did just fine. Even with the stairs in macchu picchu. Cuzco's air , on the other hand, was thinner and you will feel it. Jyst keep drinking the free coca tea in the lobby and youll be fine.
Its really a very easy trip, considering how remote it is. everything is first rate and done well.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:53 pm

Just got back from a two-night stay here using some of my Free Resort Nights. Very good experience, and I'm going to try to write a trip report. But in a nutshell, I was upgraded to a "junior suite" (though it would be considered a true suite most other places) with butler service. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to use the spa or other amenities, apart from the restaurant.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Heading to this property next week and received an email from the Concierge asking our arrival time. I estimated 1:30pm (with a noon scheduled arrival at Cuzco airport). Concierge wrote back saying that they would charge us $20 for a check in prior to 3pm. As a SPG gold, that was kind of unbelievable. (Heck, I've gotten checkin 6 hours early *without* any elite status.) I told her we would entertain ourselves in town for 90 minutes instead. Anyone have a similar experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.