Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Heading to this property next week and received an email from the Concierge asking our arrival time. I estimated 1:30pm (with a noon scheduled arrival at Cuzco airport). Concierge wrote back saying that they would charge us $20 for a check in prior to 3pm. As a SPG gold, that was kind of unbelievable. (Heck, I've gotten checkin 6 hours early *without* any elite status.) I told her we would entertain ourselves in town for 90 minutes instead. Anyone have a similar experience?
I got there at about noon last week and was definitely not charged for an early check in.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Heading to this property next week and received an email from the Concierge asking our arrival time. I estimated 1:30pm (with a noon scheduled arrival at Cuzco airport). Concierge wrote back saying that they would charge us $20 for a check in prior to 3pm. As a SPG gold, that was kind of unbelievable. (Heck, I've gotten checkin 6 hours early *without* any elite status.) I told her we would entertain ourselves in town for 90 minutes instead. Anyone have a similar experience?
Eh, ignore the email. Show up at 1:30, if they try and charge you the $20, then walk out and say you'll come back at three.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Eh, ignore the email. Show up at 1:30, if they try and charge you the $20, then walk out and say you'll come back at three.
I agree. I was there last week and it didn't seem to be that type of penny-pinching property. It is a fabulous hotel, and the small town of Urubamba is a very pleasant town to walk around.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sphinx
I agree. I was there last week and it didn't seem to be that type of penny-pinching property. It is a fabulous hotel, and the small town of Urubamba is a very pleasant town to walk around.
I'm amazed that a concierge would send that kind of note. "Corporate" should have a discussion with local management -- unless, of course, this is supposed to be a new profit center for hotels (which I doubt, considering how crazy it is).
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:11 pm

I am planning a trip to this property in a few weeks and was looking for advice on how to work in the trip to Machu Picchu. I was planning to stay at this property for 2-3 nights during my travels.

Would you advise taking the train from the hotel to Machu Picchu, exploring Machu Piccu for the day, staying the night in Aguas Calientes, spending part of the next day at Machu Piccu, and then heading back to the hotel for another night or two?

In doing some research, I am guessing that it isn't that feasible, or preferred, to only do a day trip to Machu Piccu from the hotel. Given the times quoted on the website for arrival and departure, it doesn't seem like enough time.

I have made 3 consecutive day reservations right now, but starting to think I should split it up.

Thanks for any advice you can give from your experiences.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jvcarter6
I am planning a trip to this property in a few weeks and was looking for advice on how to work in the trip to Machu Picchu. I was planning to stay at this property for 2-3 nights during my travels.

Would you advise taking the train from the hotel to Machu Picchu, exploring Machu Piccu for the day, staying the night in Aguas Calientes, spending part of the next day at Machu Piccu, and then heading back to the hotel for another night or two?

In doing some research, I am guessing that it isn't that feasible, or preferred, to only do a day trip to Machu Piccu from the hotel. Given the times quoted on the website for arrival and departure, it doesn't seem like enough time.

I have made 3 consecutive day reservations right now, but starting to think I should split it up.

We are also looking for such advice, for April 2012. Our plan was to stay the 2 nights we're currently booked, then have a gap of one night where we stay in Aguas Claientes, then come back to Tambo for at least one night. Any suggestions? (Perhaps there'll be a promo by then in which two stays will be beneficial -- one can hope, right?)
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:19 pm

Just got back from a long weekend in Peru. Took the 6:50 train from the hotel, arriving at Aguas at around 9:30. Stayed almost until the 5:00 closing and spent the next hour and a half perusing the vendors' stalls in Aguas before taking the 6:45 train back.

IMO, that was plenty of time to spend at Machu Picchu, though I can see why one might want to stay overnight in Aguas.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barelyelite
IMO, that was plenty of time to spend at Machu Picchu, though I can see why one might want to stay overnight in Aguas.
So those are the times for the train that stops directly at the Tambo del Inka?

If so, that's pretty convenient. I stayed overnight in Aguas Calientes -- catching the train at Ollanta. I liked my stay well enough in Aguas, there's a good French restaurant (El Indio Feliz, I believe), and my hotel was cheap and comfortable enough. I also took an evening train back to Ollanta. "One full day" at Machu Picchu was certainly enough to see the ruins for me, and I was in no way rushed. Would it better to just stay in Tambo? I don't know. Not moving your luggage would be nice, but getting up early for the 6:50 train wouldn't be great (nor terrible). And Tambo will be more expensive than accomodations in Aguas. So I think either option is plausible -- personal preference, if you have one.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:52 pm

Just got back from a long weekend in Peru. Took the 6:50 train from the hotel, arriving at Aguas at around 9:30. Stayed almost until the 5:00 closing and spent the next hour and a half perusing the vendors' stalls in Aguas before taking the 6:45 train back.

That does sound like plenty of time. The information I have seen on the hotel website and on the perurail site shows a different return time which leaves machu picchu at 3:45 and gets back to the hotel at 6:45. If there is a later train, that would be great. Do you have any information about the later departure b/c I would prefer to just make the day trip? Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:09 pm

That does sound like plenty of time. The information I have seen on the hotel website and on the perurail site shows a different return time which leaves machu picchu at 3:45 and gets back to the hotel at 6:45. If there is a later train, that would be great. Do you have any information about the later departure b/c I would prefer to just make the day trip? Thanks for the advice.
The later departures arrive at Ollantaytambo, and from there you can pre-arrange with the hotel a reasonably priced transfer (about $25) or take a taxi.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:11 pm

The later departures arrive at Ollantaytambo, and from there you can pre-arrange with the hotel a reasonably priced transfer (about $25) or take a taxi.
Thanks so much. That sounds like a great plan.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SPG-Plat, UAL 1K, CO Plat, Marriott Silver
I'd recommend heading to Aguas in the evening and spending one night there. I did this in October and it's great to be able to get in-line to go up to MP early in the morning (e.g., 4am) depending on how crowded things are.

I'd recommend looking around for a decent room in Aguas or just planning to sleep in a hostel-like environment (and only spend $10-20 for the room).

I'd suggest taking a mid-afternoon train back to Tambo so you have plenty of time to see MP early in the omrning, sunrise, walk around and then jump back on the train. I left my stuff at the Tambo and just took a backpack to Aguas Callientes.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DGS822
I'd recommend heading to Aguas in the evening and spending one night there. I did this in October and it's great to be able to get in-line to go up to MP early in the morning (e.g., 4am) depending on how crowded things are.

I'd recommend looking around for a decent room in Aguas or just planning to sleep in a hostel-like environment (and only spend $10-20 for the room).

I'd suggest taking a mid-afternoon train back to Tambo so you have plenty of time to see MP early in the omrning, sunrise, walk around and then jump back on the train. I left my stuff at the Tambo and just took a backpack to Aguas Callientes.
I think this is what many people do at Machu Picchu, but I recommend NOT getting up at the crazy earlier hour. We got up at 7 am in Aguas, and thought it was very uncrowded when we arrived (we visited last year around the USA Labor Day). I do think an early evening train back is a good idea.

And hotel rooms are cheap in Aguas. No need for a hostel. I paid like $40 for a room for 2, and had a completely adequate hotel room with an OK free breakfast.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SPG-Plat, UAL 1K, CO Plat, Marriott Silver
Understand your point about the lines.. However, I do think if you're making the trek, the lines are worth it to get up there for first light (depends on season and what time the sun will rise). I didn't wait in line too long and was one of the first up there.. very cool to see.

I think you get very mixed hotel rooms / hostels, but YMMV. I paid $40 bucks also for what ended up being a "fine" room and no breakfast given how early we went.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
The train segment from Tambo to Ollanta and back is really slow. While it's convenient to have the train station next to the hotel, for some reason it takes close to an hour and a half to go the short distance. I suggest a taxi to Ollanta and back and the train from there, could save as much as 2 hours of transit time.

We went twice in mid October and both days it was quite cloudy and raining early in the morning and we weren't able to see anything till later in the day. Additionally, most people have the same idea about getting there super early to beat the crowds from Cuzco, but I found the late afternoon to be far less crowded after the early birds headed back down the hill.

It's possible to do a day trip from Tambo without spending the night in Aquas Calientes. It's a long day especially if you catch one of the earlier trains from Ollanta. But worth it to have the hot tubs waiting for you and not having to pack/ unpack your stuff several times.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ORDSteve; Nov 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.