Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Goblin, this is my last time replying to you at which point I will no longer reply to your continued campaign of flaming and trolling.
Speak for yourself on the trolling. You attacked me for posting a memo to help the board in squashing any thought that AGC was allowed by corporate. You then said corporate would be upset which is complete baloney coming from a low-level Simon employee such as yourself that is new to MS. Again, people post policies all the time on this forum which your were ignorant to. You have stated I post useful information, yet you attacked me for posting the policy for the benefit of the board because your ego on AGC usage was bruised. Hilariously....sad. (mic dropped)
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
Going to make my first SMGC purchase later today in MD with my new Ink+. I've been making a bunch of common purchases on it first this past week to show normal use. Would I be OK to get 2k worth, or should I start smaller?
Go full $2k or consider even going the max $10k if you are comfortable with filling out the form. You want to maximize your time MSing which involves getting the highest amount possible (again, amount you are comfortable with) I disagree that it matters if the CSR recognizes you or not. I'm always running into new CSRs across DFW and they never bat an eye on $10k/$20k purchases. If you get a fraud warning, just step aside and call the fraud desk to clear up. CSRs are more likely to remember you negatively if your card gets denied and then you walk away, because they then have to destroy the cards.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Go full $2k or consider even going the max $10k if you are comfortable with filling out the form. You want to maximize your time MSing which involves getting the highest amount possible (again, amount you are comfortable with) I disagree that it matters if the CSR recognizes you or not. I'm always running into new CSRs across DFW and they never bat an eye on $10k/$20k purchases. If you get a fraud warning, just step aside and call the fraud desk to clear up. CSRs are more likely to remember you negatively if your card gets denied and then you walk away, because they then have to destroy the cards.
if you go the full 10k, it will trigger a fraud alert with chase and cause the mall to call chase. I would definitely start smaller.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
I agree with this post. Part of the benefit of MSing is maximizing your ROI which includes time and gas. I have found most CSRs to be very friendly and have had long discussions with them. Many know what you are doing and don't really care as long as you aren't affecting their jobs (i.e. committing fraud). If they are smart, they are probably asking how to do it
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Does anyone know how often they get re stocked on cards? I went to my local mall yesterday to pick up my usual $2k and the guy I always buy from said they were totally out of VGCs having gone through "over 700" that day. In theory I suppose that's possible but that kinda volume seems crazy to me. I'm going to go back today after work and see if they have more in stock yet but I'm curious if this was a polite way to try to cut off MS....
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by trubador
if you go the full 10k, it will trigger a fraud alert with chase and cause the mall to call chase. I would definitely start smaller.
Not true. Its a YMMV situation. I've had two cards in the past year with Chase that immediately I was able to purchase $10k on. I even did multiple $10ks that first day.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Does anyone know how often they get re stocked on cards? I went to my local mall yesterday to pick up my usual $2k and the guy I always buy from said they were totally out of VGCs having gone through "over 700" that day. In theory I suppose that's possible but that kinda volume seems crazy to me. I'm going to go back today after work and see if they have more in stock yet but I'm curious if this was a polite way to try to cut off MS....
Don't have an exact answer for you. Maybe Mr. Manual guy can help..... All I can tell you is that unless your mall is the exception, they don't get restocked on weekends. Thus, I try to avoid Sundays and/or call in advance to ensure there is enough stock. When phoning, be sure to specify Visa as that was one of my early day fails (wasted a trip as they only had 2 Visas left).

I also don't believe they went through 700 that day based on how long it takes to process 20 GCs. We have a story somewhere on this thread where CSRs like to embellish.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Don't have an exact answer for you. Maybe Mr. Manual guy can help..... All I can tell you is that unless your mall is the exception, they don't get restocked on weekends. Thus, I try to avoid Sundays and/or call in advance to ensure there is enough stock. When phoning, be sure to specify Visa as that was one of my early day fails (wasted a trip as they only had 2 Visas left).

I also don't believe they went through 700 that day based on how long it takes to process 20 GCs. We have a story somewhere on this thread where CSRs like to embellish.
Gotcha. I just do 4 cards per visit as I don't have a way to liquidate daily other then WM MOs. hopefully they have them today as I don't want to wait all weekend! So close to my second spend threshold
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:44 pm

Go full $2k or consider even going the max $10k if you are comfortable with filling out the form. You want to maximize your time MSing which involves getting the highest amount possible (again, amount you are comfortable with)
+1 do the full $10k if you can.

Originally Posted by trubador
Download the Chase app and you can take care of a fraud alert without talking to anyone. Just be sure to sign up for the app FAs. Or use more than one card.

You can liquidate over a few days and prevent going back to get more cards just to go find a place to liquidate.

I agree with Goblin by saving time. Why go the scenic, convoluted route when there is a direct path!?!? @:-)

Last edited by Chelski; Aug 21, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Lucky888
While I agree with you 100% in general as far as not arguing and making a scene, something to consider; my last ~5 new Simon Malls I've visited as an unknown new customer to their location, the person staffing the desk has made up their own variation of some rule. Anywhere from $3,000 limit no exceptions, to $500 limit no exceptions, no split payments, to a few others. After pressing them (politely) to check their Simon corporate manual to verify the stated rules ($10,000 limit/6 swipes), and even asking to speak to the Office Administrator/Marketing Manager when they still wouldn't budge, the issue has always magically resolved itself. So, YMMV.

Of course, be very polite if you have to press the issue.
Silly me....what do you mean 1o K / six swipes ? Six swipes of the card you are paying with ?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:00 pm

Help me understand this

Basically you're netting 500 pts/miles for 3 bucks, am I understanding this correct?
I do a good amount of MS at OS stores with my Ink plus and it seems Simon Mall would net me the same amount of points for about the same price.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I went to my local mall yesterday to pick up my usual $2k and the guy I always buy from said they were totally out of VGCs having gone through "over 700" that day.
I buy 19 or 20 each time I go, plus if wife is with me top it up to another 5. I'm toying with my kiddos buying some cards. Numerous times SM tells me that a few others made it in before me buying the full $10k. If you buy enough to write your info down, then you are more likely to see how many folders they keep on file. My SM doesn't keep to many.

700*$500 = $350k

One store, not SM, told me that they sold $125k in Gebits regularly to a single person. He claimed the guy comes in and just tears all the cards open. I don't know if the shift manager/supervisor was yanking my chain, but that's what he said. I'm gonna go in and try $25k sometime soon.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Silly me....what do you mean 1o K / six swipes ? Six swipes of the card you are paying with ?
They mean swiping 6 different cards for the same transaction. So, splitting the total cost across six different cards.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SDBK
Basically you're netting 500 pts/miles for 3 bucks, am I understanding this correct?
I do a good amount of MS at OS stores with my Ink plus and it seems Simon Mall would net me the same amount of points for about the same price.
If you are MSing at OS store with VGC then your cpp is typically $0.0069 vs. SM is $0.0078ccp, not a whole lot difference. Biggest difference is OS stores you must use an Ink card therefore limiting your potential point transfer options, SM allows you to use whatever card you want to accumulate whatever points you want.

Edited to include VGC purchase cost

Last edited by kenme1; Aug 23, 2015 at 7:25 am
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kenme1
If you are MSing at OS store with VGC then your cpp is typically $0.007 vs. SM is $0.0079ccp, not a whole lot difference.
Sorry, but the math is not correct.

At SM, $3.95 gets you a $500 GC, which nets you 500 points

The cost per point is:
3.95 dollars divided by 500 points

which is:
395 cents divided by 500 points

which is:
0.79 cents per point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.