Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Lucky888
Because although people may go to the mall on a regular basis, their purchases never come out to the exact same amount time after time. Even if you can come up with a reasonable explanation when questioned, if you are at the point where you are explaining your transactions to your card company, you have already gone too far.
If you've been in the game long enough, you will recognize that there usually aren't calls where you explain the charges. If you're going to get shut down, you will get shut down. Splitting payment tender and mixing the amounts isn't fooling anybody. Many of the veterans around here have been doing consistent large amounts for 2+ years ever since PINs became mandatory on all Visa/MC debit cards.

The card companies don't care as long as a) you're not unprofitable and b) you don't represent a repayment risk. SMGC are low risk because they don't represent any category bonus, so it's only 1x rewards for the card issuer. Usually people use them to meet spending targets on accounts and nothing more. It is when you are constantly purchasing at 3-5x that you run the risk of shutdowns such as Chase Ink Bold and 5% cashback cards.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Been charging $9575.05 twice a month to one of my Fav CC at SM for ~2yrs now (little lower when card cost was $2.95) without Amex saying anything. No need to split payments.

Last edited by kenme1; Aug 6, 2015 at 11:28 am
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki

SMGC are low risk because they don't represent any category bonus, so it's only 1x rewards for the card issuer. Usually people use them to meet spending targets on accounts and nothing more.
I wouldnt say that. I use a few 1x cards and Im all . Dont believe I ever used a new CC to get the min Spend done via SM yet. Id say it all depends on what a person is after, for 2 of my 1x cards its the cheapest way to earn what Im looking for and its not just for only 6 months to boot.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
1. Did you ask if you can top off the 20% value of Gap onto VGC? So if $40 can you add $460 for free? That would make the deal a little bit better.
No, but I don't think you can do that because it needs to be a separate transaction. Reason I say that as I tried to buy:

Nineteen $500 cards +$3.95 fee = $9,575.05
One $150 Gap GC (no fee) for $30 Simon VGC (no fee) = Paid $150, but got $180.

Girl called office and they said the value of all GCs (including Gap, free Visa GC and with all fees) had to below $10k. She then tried to run everything in one transaction and it wouldn't work. She had to do the $150 as a separate transaction to get the free $30 VGC. Something how the corporate discount code in system works. Could be mularkey and the CSR or office didn't really know and made it up as they go.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:08 pm

My wife is my AU on my citi prestige card, would a 7k order on my card with a 5k order on her card be seen as passing the 10k limit by Simon since the cards have the same number on them?

I asked the guy at the CS desk since he is familiar with some MSers habits, and he wasn't sure...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by faboo
My wife is my AU on my citi prestige card, would a 7k order on my card with a 5k order on her card be seen as passing the 10k limit by Simon since the cards have the same number on them?

I asked the guy at the CS desk since he is familiar with some MSers habits, and he wasn't sure...
Just do $10k on your card and then your wife can do $10k on whatever cards she chooses included the AU card. You have to try to find out. Why do $7k if you can do $10k? Plus if your SM only tracks at $3k+ then your wife doesn't have to fill out the paperwork.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by faboo

No. Simon's corporate policy apparently is that each individual cannot buy more than $10k (fees included) in a day. As Chelski said, doing $10k for each of you is fine and what I would do.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
No. Simon's corporate policy apparently is that each individual cannot buy more than $10k (fees included) in a day. As Chelski said, doing $10k for each of you is fine and what I would do.
Does this hold true even if both cards (primary and authorized) have the same card numbers?

But we do know that they do swipe if the rep allows, so the rep may not compare the two card numbers, only the names...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by macrophage
Does this hold true even if both cards (primary and authorized) have the same card numbers?

But we do know that they do swipe if the rep allows, so the rep may not compare the two card numbers, only the names...
The reps with me have never checked the card number. I would say you can definitely do most AMEX because they issue different CC #s for each AU. Others where the CC # is the same there is a chance. The only reason it wouldn't be accepted is the SM computer recognizing the same card, but I think that is doubtful. <b>Someone (you maybe??) has to try it.</b>

My question is if I can have my 4 year old swipe. My 4 yr old is an AU one one card and I could take their passport. I plan to ask at my regular SM. She can say I wanna buy some money. Once I try I'll report back, maybe.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Nein! SMGC are low risk because each sale can come in under a different property name. Much harder to our foes to identify and kill off a multiheaded Naga than your basic snake. Refer to the case of UFB debit cards for a study in foe psychology. Haters gotta hate, but they typically hate what they can quickly identify.

Originally Posted by Majuki
...SMGC are low risk because they don't represent any category bonus, so it's only 1x rewards for the card issuer....
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:48 pm

Can we ask for more than 500 on a vgc at simon or is 500 the limit per vgc?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ranjeetv
500 is the limit
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ranjeetv
Can't hurt to try. It's part of that learning process.

The rep will actually tell you the truth and say you can't get that amount.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
When buying cards Saturday, the lady helping me told me that if I didn't want to wait for her to scan them all I could call ahead next time and they'd have them ready. While it sounds nice, I'm not sure this would work in reality. Wouldn't they need to leave the transaction open in the computer until I get there? What if another customer wants to buy something? I also am somewhat uneasy about missing out on seeing them count the cards onto the counter and then load them just in case one were to get missed or something.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
When buying cards Saturday, the lady helping me told me that if I didn't want to wait for her to scan them all I could call ahead next time and they'd have them ready. While it sounds nice, I'm not sure this would work in reality. Wouldn't they need to leave the transaction open in the computer until I get there? What if another customer wants to buy something? I also am somewhat uneasy about missing out on seeing them count the cards onto the counter and then load them just in case one were to get missed or something.
I know they can put the transaction on hold and ring up other people and then come back to it (they had to do this while I cleared a fraud alert that took like 10 minutes to clear). As far as the card count, I wouldn't leave there until I checked the card #s vs the receipt. I once had someone at an office supply store ring up the same $200 cards twice (they even had to override the system to do it and they didn't think anything of it). It was a pain to get my $$ back on that one although it was evident based on the receipt. I don't think she realized each card had to be activated. LOL.

Last edited by MadMadso; Aug 12, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.