Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:53 am

Deleted

Last edited by Lucky888; Oct 17, 2015 at 11:32 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
For those that buy SM GC on a regular basis, do you try to mix up the purchase amounts so it doesn't look suspicious? SM is only 10 minutes away (have 4 close) from me so it doesn't make a difference how much I purchase at one time, but I didn't want to purchase the same amount each time to avoid a shutdown. Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't see it posted in the thread.
I usually split the payment, so I make up an uneven number. The one time I went with an even amount (that I called in before to let them know about) I got a fraud alert that took 10 minutes to clear even after I approved it via email and text. But YMMV.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Lucky888
Because although people may go to the mall on a regular basis, their purchases never come out to the exact same amount time after time. Even if you can come up with a reasonable explanation when questioned, if you are at the point where you are explaining your transactions to your card company, you have already gone too far.

A simple trick to avoid having the exact same number is to just split payment and put a small amount on the 2nd card. I.e. say $4824.39 and the last $100 and change on a second card. Next time, $4,794.33, etc. It's a decent cover play. Necessary? Not extremely. But a healthy bit of caution overkill and paranoia are part of a healthy mindset in avoiding shutdowns.
My thoughts exactly. I am probably being paranoid and if they really wanted to dig deeper they could. I figured if I could at least not make it extremely obvious it would be better for the long run. I am not doing any crazy MSing anyway so hopefully I stay under the radar. With my monthly spend it "blends" in pretty nicely.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Flyin2
I usually split the payment, so I make up an uneven number. The one time I went with an even amount (that I called in before to let them know about) I got a fraud alert that took 10 minutes to clear even after I approved it via email and text. But YMMV.
Sounds like a good idea. I will try this method and just split it across 2 cards since I am MSing both anyway.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:46 am

Sounds like a good idea. I will try this method and just split it across 2 cards since I am MSing both anyway.
The only problem I see is that the split payments at Simon are on the same receipt, and they actually print two copies, one for each signature. If the card company(ies) ever wants to see those receipts, it will be clear that you split an even amount across two cards. Heck, I'm not sure exactly what data gets sent to them automatically at POS - maybe they see "total purchase - $2519.75, charged to card 1 - $1934.56, charged to card 2 - $585.19". Does anyone know details about this?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:50 am

For those that buy SM GC on a regular basis, do you try to mix up the purchase amounts so it doesn't look suspicious? SM is only 10 minutes away (have 4 close) from me so it doesn't make a difference how much I purchase at one time, but I didn't want to purchase the same amount each time to avoid a shutdown. Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't see it posted in the thread.
I don't. One purchase per month per card, same amount, months after months.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
What's suspicious about a consistent amount? I go in and buy $5000 every time. The only time when I don't is when they're out.
Nothing that is unless the only charges every month is only from SM. But its better if its 5000 or 4500 and next time 5500 or 4000 and then 6000
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:38 am

Chase has not had issues with my multiple, sometimes four $9,978 transactions in the same day from various Simon malls for the past year. Do as you wish, but there is no hard evidence that breaking up payments has any affect.

On another note, bought yesterday:

1) Simon is running a Gap promotion that a Gap GC purchase gets you a free 20% of value Visa GC (no 3.95 fee). Min $150. No max listed. That's a good deal for those with tax-free holidays coming up.

2) CSR yesterday did not enter anything into system, nor call anyone. She confirmed (when she wasn't getting hit on by security guard) that they just file it away. It looks like we have a YMMV situation with how the malls are handling registering GC purchases in a day (keying into computer system or just storing).
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:07 pm

Thumbs up Where in Simon mall can i buy VGC?

Simon mall is 30 miles away from me and I need to meet Minimum spend on three of my cards, thinking I can buy on one card in the morning, one later and one later in the day. Is this Ok - or without bothering i can meet spend on all three one single time (10K in total).

Also where in Simon mall can I buy the VGC? will there be any specific outlet / shop or is this at customer service / information desk of the mall - if so visiting multiple times in a day won't help.

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:22 pm

Suspicious to who? The CC or SM? I split payment on CC based on how much is needed for a certain level. At SM I max out what they allow each time. The only variance is one CS makes me buy one non-$500 GC and another just processes it without any call to manager and all at $500. maybe that CS is the "manager"?

It's easy to pay with multiple cards and you can split each card to the penny you want.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Chase has not had issues with my multiple, sometimes four $9,978 transactions in the same day from various Simon malls for the past year. Do as you wish, but there is no hard evidence that breaking up payments has any affect.

On another note, bought yesterday:

1) Simon is running a Gap promotion that a Gap GC purchase gets you a free 20% of value Visa GC (no 3.95 fee). Min $150. No max listed. That's a good deal for those with tax-free holidays coming up.

2) CSR yesterday did not enter anything into system, nor call anyone. She confirmed (when she wasn't getting hit on by security guard) that they just file it away. It looks like we have a YMMV situation with how the malls are handling registering GC purchases in a day (keying into computer system or just storing).
1. Did you ask if you can top off the 20% value of Gap onto VGC? So if $40 can you add $460 for free? That would make the deal a little bit better.

2. On my last visit the CS didn't enter anything into the computer, nor could they find my paperwork. i just don't have 2 SMs close enough to try it out. Once I have visitors in town I can have the chance to try. They don't have any issue with my wife buying on the same day. I'll have to try my kiddos.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Because although people may go to the mall on a regular basis, their purchases never come out to the exact same amount time after time.
People go to the mall all the time, but how many people actually give THE MALL any money as opposed to the stores in the mall? I never did before starting to buy these GCs.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by gapprasath
Simon mall is 30 miles away from me and I need to meet Minimum spend on three of my cards, thinking I can buy on one card in the morning, one later and one later in the day. Is this Ok - or without bothering i can meet spend on all three one single time (10K in total).

Also where in Simon mall can I buy the VGC? will there be any specific outlet / shop or is this at customer service / information desk of the mall - if so visiting multiple times in a day won't help.

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks.

Generally at an information desk. I'd suggest calling the mall before going to ask where they sell the cards. Some malls might have different limits, buy at my simon mall i can buy $10k per day (all in one visit). I would not recommend trying to buy gift cards multiple times during the same day.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:39 pm

I was told I needed to fill out their form if it's more than 1k in Gift Cards. Do they report it to the IRS or what do they do with that paper I fill out? They ask why do I want the GCs for and address and all that...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by stutz88
I was told I needed to fill out their form if it's more than 1k in Gift Cards. Do they report it to the IRS or what do they do with that paper I fill out? They ask why do I want the GCs for and address and all that...
This is discussed thoroughly in this thread. Go back a few pages and check what others have mentioned about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.