FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

zig2 May 20, 14 12:29 am

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Has anyone experienced this? I went there last Saturday to buy VGC of 500$x5. The one at the customer service asked me to fill a form including my address/name saying it is a anti-fraud practice. I did it once in the past with the same amount but no forms was needed. She appears to recognize me though.

Will the form negatively affect me?

f0xx May 20, 14 12:39 am

No. It's just for record keeping.
Just like Office Depot, Staples etc would do.

jorge18 May 20, 14 7:08 am

I had the same thing happen to me. No big deal, wouldn't worry too much about it.

URrunner May 20, 14 7:21 am

Under 3000, you do not have to fill the form out.
Daily limit of 10000.
Each representative only carry 20GC (US VISA)

Purpose of those from to prevent fraudulent charges. (Since SSN is not written down, nothing to worry about)

jorge18 May 20, 14 7:32 am

Originally Posted by URrunner (Post 22893822)
Under 3000, you do not have to fill the form out.
Daily limit of 10000.
Each representative only carry 20GC (US VISA)

Purpose of those from to prevent fraudulent charges. (Since SSN is not written down, nothing to worry about)

That's not necessarily true. All of the malls are different. I've filled out the forms for $1000 purchases.

GeorgeMilesArnold Jun 1, 14 9:58 am

I was told that they require it for 5k+

They have a different policy in different locations.

frugalgal1001 Jun 1, 14 2:43 pm

I had to do the form for $2K.

sechs Jun 1, 14 5:41 pm

I have to fill out for $500 or more, so it's pretty much unavoidable. Considering contacting a manager to buy as a business instead of an individual.

Anybody done that before?

maksimfa Jun 1, 14 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by sechs (Post 22961780)
I have to fill out for $500 or more, so it's pretty much unavoidable. Considering contacting a manager to buy as a business instead of an individual.

Anybody done that before?

And that means even more paperwork. :)

ceverett Jun 1, 14 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by jorge18 (Post 22893866)
That's not necessarily true. All of the malls are different. I've filled out the forms for $1000 purchases.

As have I. Much depends on what their previous history for selling gift cards is, I think. In my case, there were 2 CVS stores within a mile of the SM, that all of a sudden saw GC sales go from nothing to thousands a day.

subdawg Jun 2, 14 9:18 am

Simon mall gift card - filling forms

I'm curious as to why you guys buy gc's here as there isn't a 5% earnings CC on these purchases? I know the purchase fee is only 2.95. I'm sure I'm missing something though.

frugalgal1001 Jun 2, 14 9:43 am

Originally Posted by subdawg (Post 22964706)
I'm curious as to why you guys buy gc's here as there isn't a 5% earnings CC on these purchases? I know the purchase fee is only 2.95. I'm sure I'm missing something though.

I used for minimum spend on my AA Executive card. Have also used for 2% on my Fidelity Amex. Plus the purchase fee at my local SM is even less than $2.95 :D

maksimfa Jun 2, 14 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by subdawg (Post 22964706)

For the people who live close by, and do not care about the earnings, and as others said, doing it for the minimum spend at low cost, this is a good strategy.

However, if you have to drive out of your way to the mall, and want to earn rewards, this is a complete waste of time regularly.

Then you are also dealing with other risks of shopping at the malls, extra paperwork, security and the fact that you have to call in out change pins.....much more pain in the butt than regular gc you buy elsewhere.

sechs Jun 2, 14 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by maksimfa (Post 22962000)
And that means even more paperwork. :)

This being the only Simon mall in the area, I'm sure that they get hammered (thus the paperwork requirement). I figure becoming a known regular buyer would work better than just being someone who comes in and randomly buys a lot.

john doe iii Jun 2, 14 6:08 pm

Because it cost me $118 to fly anywhere in the Cont US round trip with my mileage earning credit card. :-)