Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jaggudada11
By SO, you meant spouse or Son?? If your spouse has serve card, how can you load on their behalf? If you go to WM, not sure if they want to see your ID etc.

If you by the CC online, you can use your spouse's CC and no one will know anything otherwise, once you have the VGCs and you go to load or get a MO, not sure if at any point they ask for ID. I prefer to do this myself because I'm aware of how this is supposed to work. With family members it gets tricky.

Do they ask for IDs when you are making large purchases on CC? not so much when you are loading the debit card to your Serve or BB.
And you wonder why I pointed you to read the "New to Manufactured Spending thread"... Not to mention that that's where you should be asking all these newbie questions.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:52 am

By SO, you meant spouse or Son?? If your spouse has serve card, how can you load on their behalf? If you go to WM, not sure if they want to see your ID etc.

If you by the CC online, you can use your spouse's CC and no one will know anything otherwise, once you have the VGCs and you go to load or get a MO, not sure if at any point they ask for ID. I prefer to do this myself because I'm aware of how this is supposed to work. With family members it gets tricky.

Do they ask for IDs when you are making large purchases on CC? not so much when you are loading the debit card to your Serve or BB.
Same last name, so when asked you will just tell them it is in your SO's name? Sometimes they look at signature etc.
just keep in mind that there are times you'll encounter power tripping store personnel who won't budge. Instead of arguing with them to prove your point, it is best to just say thanks and *go to other departments in the store where you can load cards w/o hassle. Try the sporting goods/auto/jewelry/electronics. If you still encounter resistance, it may be best to leave that store and try another day/shift. this is where YMMV comes in.

*be wary of store personnel who will follow you to make sure you don't go to other registers. there are reports online that some staff do this and even go to the extent of taking your pics.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:40 am

Anybody use capital one cards and have trouble with fraud alerts buying these? I haven't used them directly in person in a while, but I had a lot of trouble at target loading Redbird before I started using AGC to do it. I'd even alert them in advance, fraud alert. Be on the phone during purchase , fraud alert. And talk to managers but still would get them.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
And you wonder why I pointed you to read the "New to Manufactured Spending thread"... Not to mention that that's where you should be asking all these newbie questions.
ok

Last edited by nfpa70e; Sep 3, 2015 at 12:25 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Nevermind.

Last edited by cdancer20; Sep 3, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:11 pm

Thanks Chelski, makes me feel better that it is not as difficult as I'm thinking.

Same last name, so when asked you will just tell them it is in your SO's name? Sometimes they look at signature etc.
If they ask. Sometimes I will load mine and then say I'd like to load my wife's so she has some spending money. I usually load her first so if any issue would arise it's already done.

By trying to load SOs first you can use yours if the cashier is being restrictive. The only time I've been asked was buying genius with my wife's CC. I've started a new way to do authorized user names to make it easier to remember who has the primary card by adding a code at the end of our name so like "01" or "xx".
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:44 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the gift card everyone is buying? I thought I knew what I was looking for but the csr said the one I chose didn't have a pin.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:39 pm

I get the grey one

Originally Posted by pootie316
Does anyone have a pic of the gift card everyone is buying? I thought I knew what I was looking for but the csr said the one I chose didn't have a pin.

I get the grey $500 cards, the last 4 digits are the pin. I don't display the card and tuck it under other ones in my hand, when swiping i go quick and the debit logo shows as I conceal the rest

The grey cards look real neutral. Good luck!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by Jai7123
I get the grey $500 cards, the last 4 digits are the pin. I don't display the card and tuck it under other ones in my hand, when swiping i go quick and the debit logo shows as I conceal the rest

The grey cards look real neutral. Good luck!
The grey one is the one they usually have in stock the most.

I used to get the black Fashion card, as that looks the most like a credit card to me, but haven't bothered asking for it lately, as the WMs and KRs I go to have no problems with me unloading at will. Last time I walked into KR for 2 x 999 MOs, the girl at the desk just asked me "do you want one or two tonight"? I said two, and she rang me up in record time. I was stunned.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:08 pm

Have there been any reports of fraud for mall GCs like with supermarket GCs? I purchased $2500 today and liquidated $2000 at the closest Target. I didn't want to hold up the line so I figured I would do the final $500 at a store on the way home. Instead, I got a clueless CSR who said no gift cards, etc. At that point, I was too tired to visit another store so I just went home. I can't remember the last time I held a $500 VGC overnight due to concerns for fraud.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Have there been any reports of fraud for mall GCs like with supermarket GCs? I purchased $2500 today and liquidated $2000 at the closest Target. I didn't want to hold up the line so I figured I would do the final $500 at a store on the way home. Instead, I got a clueless CSR who said no gift cards, etc. At that point, I was too tired to visit another store so I just went home. I can't remember the last time I held a $500 VGC overnight due to concerns for fraud.
Since they're in a drawer under supervision, it's not too likely. I feel pretty safe with Simons and sometimes go days before I cash them all. Cards off the rack I get rid of quickly.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN

Since they're in a drawer under supervision, it's not too likely. I feel pretty safe with Simons and sometimes go days before I cash them all. Cards off the rack I get rid of quickly.
I've only purchased VGC at a Macerich mall, and it has gift cards on display on a rack in front of a customer service desk. There's usually someone at the desk, but it is oftentimes unmanned.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've only purchased VGC at a Macerich mall, and it has gift cards on display on a rack in front of a customer service desk. There's usually someone at the desk, but it is oftentimes unmanned.
Simons usually have a display rack, but it's just store GCs and maybe some small denomination Visas or MCs. They keep the "good stuff" locked in the drawer.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:46 am

Simon has a more established way to screen for giftcard orders (UV, name and last 4 digits match) and most employees actually follow the procedures. These procedures seem to be enforced more consistently than various Macerich malls. At some groceries stores I frequent, it seems to be up the person who rings you up. When I self checkout VGC up to the store limit, some attendants are only interested in looking at my driver license but not match it to the card I use. Perhaps they recognize me, but I never understand the purpose of it but I'm glad it is this way so I can get by with non-personalized AGCs.

EtoA: I think I misread the original question. We're talking about tampered SMGC, not fraudulent CC. I would agree with Paul. It seems like these cards are secured in a zipper that each CSR has his/her own. Everytime when I place an order through email, the cards are ready, rubber-banded, and even arranged in such a way that the CSR will write down the last 4 digits of the first and the last cards in the arranged order.

Last edited by donuteric; Sep 4, 2015 at 9:02 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulMSN

Yep I have no worrys when it comes to SGCs, which I cant say for the other GCs I deal with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.