Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by donuteric
[...]

IMHO, 0.8% is expensive for most miles-earning cards and cashback cards make a bit more sense to me. Others might disagree, so it all depends on your objectives.
I agree. The only reason I use SM GCs is to meet minimum spend on new cards, or generate enough annual spending for additional benefits.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 8:49 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by craz
WRONG!! you cant tell someone its AOK to do something where others have been harmed, unless you let them know that others have been shut down for doing it. Knew there is no way in H3ll that you would even admit you arent 100% correct, its your MO. Saying well I said everyone has their own choice is a copout how would you feel if that person or someone else reading your posts followed thru and got shut down, youd probably say well there are risks with MSing, like no one knows that.

If you are gonna tell someone its OK to do something make sure you let them know some have had problems and if you didint know that was the case, dont keep saying its OK when someone says there were problems with some who did exactly what you are saying its OK to do
You gave your argument of not to use it. So it's the OP's choice to do it or not. Your data points are not going to stop me from doing what I do so I do not feel that I am wrong. No one is wrong. Everyone has their comfort level and choice of what to and not to do. So it's up to the OP and you and me and anyone else reading it to do what we feel we are comfortable with. I am not putting a gun to the OP's head to do it. You gave him/her advice of why not to do it so it's there choice who's advice they want to follow, regardless of how I feel.

However again you never proved that the people shut down were due to using Simon Mall at ONE x category. Your examples are more than likely from people who we maxing out Office Supply to BB/RedCard/Serve or gas stations. Point boosting in a bonus category is not anywhere close to doing it in a 1x category anyways.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I really couldnt care what you do or dont do concerning your own MSing!

Your advice was theres nothing wrong with paying your Chase bill off after loading it (in this case with SVGs) which you used that Chase CC to buy in the 1st place. What is known (I know since I was corrected and told that I can pay off my Amex CCs but not my Chase if I used a Chase CC). Simon isnt important, if a person purchased VGCs at a supermkt and loaded them to their BB,RC,Serve then they are best not using that to pay off their Chase bill, Forget Simon. Seems Chase doesnt like a person buying GCs and then paying off their bill using those funds no matter how, of cause theres no way for them to know you got MOs with the GCs and really are paying it off as planed in around about way. But they know about the Amex payments being from the GCs.

Forget your rationalizations once you said its AOK to do w/o mentioning that some folks have been shut down for doing that circle Use Chase CC to buy GCs - load BB,RC,Serve - pay off Chase with the funds on those DCs Now had you mentioned that its a YMMV issue and some folks have had problems with Chase because of it, would have been fine.But thats NOT what you said You said it was AOK w/o any warning thats the problem of cause you will never admit that it was a mistake on your part. I feel its best to put it all before a person who asks and as you said then let them make their own choice, but with you saying its Ok w/o any warning will confuse them

btw you are full of it when saying 1x isnt worth it, thats excatly what I get from the SGCs and in my case its 1000% worth it even @ 1x, why well no way will I reveal to you which CC to use and what you can gain by doing so, but those in the know are tickled pink so much so that it pays even @ $5.95 per GC, but its so much sweeter at $3.95 If it wasnt I wouldnt be doing in the very high 5 figures every month
1 - I NEVER said 1x wasn't worth it. Other posters did. I said that 1x isn't the same as buying GCs at a category store, e.g. 5x which has a higher chance of shutdown. And ANY and EVERYTHING in MS is YMMV. That's a no-brainer. I was not previously aware of a specific group of incidents that people say triggered XYZ (which may have been a coincidence or theory anyways) so I was not going to mention it. You did so you mentioned it. OK cool. But there are still plenty of people who have done exactly this for months/years and have had no AA. So it's all YMMV. A+B does not exactly equal C so it's up to every person to do whatever level of risk they are comfortable with. That's the moral. Do whatever level of risk you feel comfortable with! If someone gives you data points against it, feel free to share. But data points are just that. Datapoints. They are not the hard down truth that this will happen b/c you did this. If that was the case than EVERYONE would have been shut down on Blue Wednesday. However, I know people that are STILL on unlimited OBCs and pushing the limits. I'm not going to argue again. You have your opinions and have to 100% right instead of just agreeing to disagree and letting people make up their own minds (which I have said over and over and over again). So no reason to continue this argument.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:57 pm

call the # on the back and input what they ask of you , if you dont get past the exp date (it doesnt ask for the sec code on the back) then the card was never activated and you will to bring it back to the mall you purchased it at. If it tells you the amount you put on it, then try again with a cashier if you used a kate the 1st time
i get past the exp date when i call, gives me a balance of 500 same as checking it online. Card works just fine for debit purchases.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...as with most other things since you already formed your opin you have to be right and everyone else wrong
I buy Simons (and Vanillas and occasionally Sunrise) with Chase, Citi, AmEx, USBank, Barclay and BoA and pay them off partly with Redcard but mostly from my CU. I pay off the cards and buy more, exceeding my CL on several of the cards over the course of a month, sometimes multiple times. I've done this for over 2 years and I'm not at all worried about it. Chase, Citi, AmEx and USBank continue to give me more cards.

Everyone chooses how much risk they want to take, and it should be based on their personal situations and not that of others, but I think your advice is well into the cautious end, and others seeking advice should take that into consideration.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
true it wasnt from Simon that caused it but buying GCs from anywhere, loading your BB,RC,Serve and then paying Chase and Chase will know exactly where the payment is coming from is simply asking for trouble.

Wrong in regards that its the case with any bank, Chase is different from all the others and telling folks its no problem when it has been is totally Wrong on your part Chase simply checks things alot closer, how many people that you know of have even a $500 supermkt bill, yet alone $2k+ . So if Chase thinks something is up they will take action. charging high purchases for things other then GCs will to an extent keep them off ones back. most other banks just want to know payments are being made and let us do as we please, not always the case with Chase. had that poster mentioned any other bank I wouldnt have said boo, but Chase is a completely different creature and I would never tell anyone its OK or to pay it off as you said, yes a small payment can be made to chase best not a round amount and simply use the funds to pay off another CCs bill. So use SAP to buy the SGCs then use BB to pay off your other CC bills or pay your rent or whatever anything I say Except for the SAP bill

But as with most other things since you already formed your opin you have to be right and everyone else wrong

IMO craz, you have become to vehement in your defense of your idea. I will chime in and say that I have been doing 99% bonus category spending on my ink plus and sap > redbird and Bp straight back with no ill effects. I think my and others experiences show that it can be done with no AA.

I think it is presumptuous of you to claim to know what is chase risk algorithm for AA. All you know is what someone reported on FT. You don't know what you don't know. What did they not share when they reported what happened to them. What else was in their credit report. Etc etc

I think you can safely and honestly say "there have been some reports of issues but it cannot be completely inferred all the contributing factors."
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:48 am
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 9:04 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:28 am

Obviously you just LOVE to talk and never read. This was my THIRD post on the subject matter:

Everything with MS is a risk. Regardless of the bank. That's common sense. IME though most people that have had issues with Chase was buying GCs in bonus categories and getting shut down from there or doing 70-80% MS on the card. I am not personally aware of anyone that got shutdown specifically for only buying GCs at 1x at Simon Malls. If there are, then feel free to add that data point for the OP. I do not have that data point to add so I will not/cannot.

As stated, I did not have that data point to add. You did. So that should have been the end of it. I don't have to go back and say, well I said this but craz said this so they MUST be right. No you stated it, anyone with eyes can read so they can chose at what point to take the risk. And I stated over and over and over again, chose your own comfort level and risk level. That's the morale. I don't have to say you were right or I was right. Stop trying to stroke your ego.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:01 am

Planning to start SIMON mall GC route, as ST debit has dried out for most part.

I have Amex PRG, Amex Hilton Surpass, and Amex SPG, which of these cards are the best bet to spend of Simon Mall GCs?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by troyhouse

I have Amex PRG, Amex Hilton Surpass, and Amex SPG, which of these cards are the best bet to spend of Simon Mall GCs?
All will work, just a a matter of which points you want to accumulate.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
To craz & cdancer20, enough already, take your bickering private!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse

Simon is not a category bonus location so they will all earn 1 point per dollar spent. Therefore, as the last poster said, it just depends on where you want/need points the most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.