Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:33 am
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:47 am
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by troyhouse
Planning to start SIMON mall GC route, as ST debit has dried out for most part.

I have Amex PRG, Amex Hilton Surpass, and Amex SPG, which of these cards are the best bet to spend of Simon Mall GCs?
Why would you think it will matter? They take all forms of cards.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Why would you think it will matter? They take all forms of cards.
my question was related to which of these cards would earn most points!!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:31 am

Guys, let's not write PhD thesis on MS. It should be quick and dirty.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:51 pm

Do them all - get all the points - spend all the points.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:38 pm
Suspended

as cdancer and I said, what works for her or me might not work for you and vice versa. Unfortunately the only way to know which is best is each person sits down as cd and I said and crunch the #s and then decide

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:18 pm

Why would you want points? You can go to the bowling alley to get points..

cdancer and craz are mostly correct that SM will earn (not necessarily 1 point) the minimum points for each of those cards (no category bonus).. The Amex Surpass earns 3 points to be technical, but it takes a gazillion hhobir points to do anything.. To me SM is best for getting status quickly or for airline cards. Use the surpass at grocery stores and gas stations. It's better to pay $5.95 at grocery than the $3.95 at SM.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by craz
good idea about using it at supermkts, its not much different per pt but still a savings. Surpass is 6x while the reg HH Amex is 5x and comes with no ann fee, didnt crunch the #s so is it worth paying the AF for the 1 extra pt? I think $40k in spend gets you Diamond is that only with the Surpass or either card

So $80 in fees gets you a 30k free night which isnt too bad along with a stay credit if heading for status and not going after status with use of the CC. But I wonder if PLing or HW would cost less, of cause no credit but less $ for the night.
I have decided to keep one amex hilton surpass between the wife and I so as to MS diamond yearly. I MS'ed 40k in 6 weeks at a grocery story this spring prior to a trip to San Fran. Diamond posted 1 day prior to our flight and resulted in significant benefits. I plan to MS 40k yearly for the points for stays plus diamond status.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 2015 at 9:19 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:46 pm

good idea about using it at supermkts, its not much different per pt but still a savings. Surpass is 6x while the reg HH Amex is 5x and comes with no ann fee, didnt crunch the #s so is it worth paying the AF for the 1 extra pt? I think $40k in spend gets you Diamond is that only with the Surpass or either card

So $80 in fees gets you a 30k free night which isnt too bad along with a stay credit if heading for status and not going after status with use of the CC. But I wonder if PLing or HW would cost less, of cause no credit but less $ for the night.
The $40k spend for diamond is only on the Surpass. I learned this the hard way after hitting 40k spend on the basic card. Now I'm doing $40k on the surpass and combining it with gas discount which more or less negates any prepaid fees.! I'll complete the $40k spend within 6-8 weeks.

Basically you pay 50% more at the grocery store vs SM but you get 100% more points with the surpass card (assuming $1 MO fee).

Now it appears the discover cashback cards and mile cards would be the best to use at SM if SM accepted Apple pay (10% cashback or miles on first $10k spending with discover via Apple pay).
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
The $40k spend for diamond is only on the Surpass. I learned this the hard way after hitting 40k spend on the basic card. Now I'm doing $40k on the surpass and combining it with gas discount which more or less negates any prepaid fees.! I'll complete the $40k spend within 6-8 weeks.

Basically you pay 50% more at the grocery store vs SM but you get 100% more points with the surpass card (assuming $1 MO fee).

Now it appears the discover cashback cards and mile cards would be the best to use at SM if SM accepted Apple pay (10% cashback or miles on first $10k spending with discover via Apple pay).
SM does not accept Apple Pay. They don't even have a card terminal...
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chelski

Thanks thats what I thought, seems it also gives you Gold from the get-go. actually getting GCs at a supermkt is better with the Surpass over SGCs, since its 6x instead of 3x and the fee isnt 2x only 50% more. (so 6k in HH pts costs $7.90 @ Simon while 6k in HH pts costs $5.95 at a supermkt, so $40 spent is $476 in fees but you get 240k in pts that can save you alot more then the 476 spent, plus Diamond, if my math is correct)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by macrophage
SM does not accept Apple Pay. They don't even have a card terminal...
I didn't think so but never have used Apple Pay so I've never worried at SM. I know they always swipe but figured there's thewat outside Chance they may have the capability.

Thanks thats what I thought, seems it also gives you Gold from the get-go. actually getting GCs at a supermkt is better with the Surpass over SGCs, since its 6x instead of 3x and the fee isnt 2x only 50% more. (so 6k in HH pts costs $7.90 @ Simon while 6k in HH pts costs $5.95 at a supermkt, so $40 spent is $476 in fees but you get 240k in pts that can save you alot more then the 476 spent, plus Diamond, if my math is correct)
Yes and if you can find a grocer to save on gas then you basically get the diamond plus the 240k points for no cost. But I'm using SM to reach the status within 6-8 weeks and then next year it'll be $3-5k per month at grocers/gas stations. At some gas stations it's possible to buy a $500 card for $4.95 fee and it tags as either gas or grocer in my experience. Just have to be diligent, patient and persistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.