Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hecta
Not much. As of 3Q14 they still barely mention these "handling fees related to the sales of bank-issued prepaid cards". They call it supplemental revenues in their 10-Q. I don't blame them for continuing to do it because, like you said, it's easy money for them.
Thanks for this added info - just to confirm are you saying that they're considering only the fees to be revenue, not the amount passed through to charge the card?

Originally Posted by particlemn
I think it drives traffic to the mall, they might include these numbers in the mall total sale numbers and then increase rents to retails in the mall telling them the mall is increasing revenue at a large rate so rents go up
I was assuming that the bolded part above was the case, and that would be part of why they were happily keeping on with this.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
The Simon financial statements don't go in-depth about this source of revenue meaning it is not that material. Unless you are on the audit team or work for Simon we will not know the answer!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 pm
Suspended

HNL

Seems theres a SM alittle past Pearl Harbour, anyone been able to get GCs there? Will have a car for a few hrs on Weds (bet checking out of the hotel and my return night flight). hate to go there and waste my time if someone already knows they cant be had.

Was going to get them back East on Thurs but the snow falling will KO that idea, so thought Id try and get them while out here
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by craz
Seems theres a SM alittle past Pearl Harbour, anyone been able to get GCs there? Will have a car for a few hrs on Weds (bet checking out of the hotel and my return night flight). hate to go there and waste my time if someone already knows they cant be had.

Was going to get them back East on Thurs but the snow falling will KO that idea, so thought Id try and get them while out here
Are you referring to the premium outlets? I've been to that location, but I haven't bought gift cards there. However, its layout matches the other Simon premium outlets, and they do have a gift card icon at the customer service desk from the map.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
Are you referring to the premium outlets? I've been to that location, but I haven't bought gift cards there. However, its layout matches the other Simon premium outlets, and they do have a gift card icon at the customer service desk from the map.
yep thats the place. I usually dont mind doing a test run, and would have anywhere else. But I usually head to the North shore by going up the right side of the island and then down past Dole back to Waikiki.taht way the water is on my right and I get to see alot more.

Montebello outside LA (reg mall) has a max of $1k per day and a max of $250 per GC. Just didnt want to run into no GCs or a bad max and waste my time when I have limited time. thanks for the link for the map at least I can save some time by parking close by the Info desk
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 pm

Can you buy Simon's with vanilla visa GC? I am looking for a way to unlock vanilla for Wally world even if a little fee.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:58 pm

For the first time, I'm having a problem loading my Simon gifts cards into my bluebird account. I prefer to pay my mortgage this way through bluebird and helps with my minimum spends. I usually put in about 2500 a month...but only about every other month. I"ve was loading some into my bluebird at walmart the other night....it loaded two of them..then stopped. I've tried 4 times since, and they absolutely will NOT load! I checked the simon gift cards...and they DO have money on them. I think bluebird might be recognizing these as gift cards....? I've used the automatic pin on them in the past. I changed the cards pins this time since they were not going through...but still no luck. Any suggestions? If I can't load them into bluebird....any other suggestions? I"ve read about buying some money orders at walmart with the debit gift cards..I've never tried it. Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by DianaS
For the first time, I'm having a problem loading my Simon gifts cards into my bluebird account. I prefer to pay my mortgage this way through bluebird and helps with my minimum spends. I usually put in about 2500 a month...but only about every other month. I"ve was loading some into my bluebird at walmart the other night....it loaded two of them..then stopped. I've tried 4 times since, and they absolutely will NOT load! I checked the simon gift cards...and they DO have money on them. I think bluebird might be recognizing these as gift cards....? I've used the automatic pin on them in the past. I changed the cards pins this time since they were not going through...but still no luck. Any suggestions? If I can't load them into bluebird....any other suggestions? I"ve read about buying some money orders at walmart with the debit gift cards..I've never tried it. Thanks!
Double check how much have you loaded on BB this month.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Double check how much have you loaded on BB this month.
Awwww....I knew this! I did load 5000 this month... I've never loaded that much. So I guess I will wait a few days and load the rest huh! Thanks for the answer I should have already known!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Just to update, it was real quick once the person in charge got back from lunch, wish they all would go so smooth. Only problem is they limit you to ony 5 GCs per person per day. In contast I was gonna walk away from the place I went to this evening what a PITA

Now unless I was going to be passing by for $2500 its not worth going IMO, maybe if you are 2 people and can get $5k
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Just to update, it was real quick once the person in charge got back from lunch, wish they all would go so smooth. Only problem is they limit you to ony 5 GCs per person per day. In contast I was gonna walk away from the place I went to this evening what a PITA

Now unless I was going to be passing by for $2500 its not worth going IMO, maybe if you are 2 people and can get $5k
Thanks for the update. I might still go the next time we're there. Mrs. Majuki can shop while I do some MS.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, SWA, United, British Air, Jet Blue, Alaska
Big problem

Very big problem - $500 Simon GC evaporated - still in my possession, zero value, no audit trail.

And, the bigger problem is WM specifically states GC load not allowed. But they do allow it.
Tue loaded 5K onto GoBank (1), BB (2.5), Serve (1.5).
Two separate WM. Kate for 1.5, cashiers for 1.5 at one, cashiers for 2 at the other.
Thur attempted another 5K.
First WM GB 1.5, Serve 1.5; next WM BB 1, Serve 1.
I ended up with 4.5 successfully loaded. But 5K 'successfully' unloaded from SGC.

I have 9 load receipts that correspond to 9x500 GB, BB, Serve loads.
I did not lose a receipt.
But I lost $500.

I encountered various problems throughout the day.
Kate timed out attempting GB.
Then Cust service timed out.
Then Kate worked - all with the same SGC. No problem, right.

A 2nd WM, one attempted BB load said 'payment declined, debit not available' - the cashier said 'try it again'. I did. It worked. Same SGC. No clue why it didn't work on the first try, why it did work on the 2nd try.

The final attempt of the day (last 500 onto BB) failed with 'debit not available' and at that point I decided to try to live another day and leave.

Then, tonight, checking SGC balances, 10 out of 10 have a zero balance.

I was totally methodical with each SGC - once used, it went into a different pocket. Unused SGC were kept separate. When it was time to use, it came out, swipe, pin, approved, pocket. File the receipt in another pocket.

I can match 9 used SGC with 9 successful loads. I checked my GB, BB, Serve balances and, no, there is not a surprise extra 500 that got loaded without the receipt.

I am out 500 and pissed. No clue where to go next. The online transaction reports for GB, BB and Serve are all woefully weak in terms of timestamps, debit card used to load, etc. But, the WM receipts have full data. Time, what was loaded, what was used to load, everything.

I don't know whether/how to contact Simon and say 'what gives?' or WM? or GB, BB, Serve? But I have no clue what I would say to the last 3. Their balance accurately reflects the loads I know I did. It is Simon that fails to accurately reflect the balance of the unused card. It shows it zero.

Suggestions most welcome. Simon 'contact us' page says 'please call' but the neglect to offer an actual phone number to call.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by rmunson1
Very big problem - $500 Simon GC evaporated - still in my possession, zero value, no audit trail.

And, the bigger problem is WM specifically states GC load not allowed. But they do allow it.
Two separate WM. Kate for 1.5, cashiers for 1.5 at one, cashiers for 2 at the other.
I ended up with 4.5 successfully loaded. But 5K 'successfully' unloaded from SGC.

But I lost $500.

A 2nd WM, one attempted BB load said 'payment declined, debit not available' - the cashier said 'try it again'. I did. It worked. Same SGC. No clue why it didn't work on the first try, why it did work on the 2nd try.

The final attempt of the day (last 500 onto BB) failed with 'debit not available' and at that point I decided to try to live another day and leave.

I was totally methodical with each SGC - once used, it went into a different pocket. Unused SGC were kept separate. When it was time to use, it came out, swipe, pin, approved, pocket. File the receipt in another pocket.

I can match 9 used SGC with 9 successful loads. I checked my GB, BB, Serve balances and, no, there is not a surprise extra 500 that got loaded without the receipt.

I am out 500 and pissed. No clue where to go next. The online transaction reports for GB, BB and Serve are all woefully weak in terms of timestamps, debit card used to load, etc. But, the WM receipts have full data. Time, what was loaded, what was used to load, everything.

I don't know whether/how to contact Simon and say 'what gives?' or WM? or GB, BB, Serve? But I have no clue what I would say to the last 3. Their balance accurately reflects the loads I know I did. It is Simon that fails to accurately reflect the balance of the unused card. It shows it zero.

Suggestions most welcome. Simon 'contact us' page says 'please call' but the neglect to offer an actual phone number to call.
How is this a Simon Mall problem?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by rmunson1

But I lost $500.

Which account didn't get loaded? that's who you need to contact. If you have all the successful load receipts you wont have a problem. Just an annoyance...
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by CBDTREE
Which account didn't get loaded? that's who you need to contact. If you have all the successful load receipts you wont have a problem. Just an annoyance...
He doesnt have all 10 receipts it looks like, he only has 9, which means one of the cards was unloaded without it being loaded elsewhere, perhaps in one of those time outs. The good news is you know what card it is, so you can look up the transaction data online. If it shows used at the walmart you were swiping at, give it about 10 days and it should come back. If it says used elsewhere file a police report and go through the fraud process of getting it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.