Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, SWA, United, British Air, Jet Blue, Alaska
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
He doesnt have all 10 receipts it looks like, he only has 9, which means one of the cards was unloaded without it being loaded elsewhere, perhaps in one of those time outs. The good news is you know what card it is, so you can look up the transaction data online. If it shows used at the walmart you were swiping at, give it about 10 days and it should come back. If it says used elsewhere file a police report and go through the fraud process of getting it back.
This is much bigger than an annoyance. hamokmonky gets it, understand my problem. I have 9 loads, 9 receipts, 9 +500 successful transactions. I have no load, no receipt, nothing but $500 lost on my last SGC.

How is this Simon's problem? Well, I cannot answer that. I have no clue who screwed up, but I am totally certain I did not.

The problem is - I had several timeout transactions. But, I know which SGC was used for those. After the timeout, I successfully unloaded THAT card into GB, BB, Serve.

I also had several 'debit unavailable' messages. For the first one of those, cashier said 'try again' - I did, with the same card, success, receipt, load 500, offload 500 from SGC, and so forth.

On the last of those ('debit unavailable' messages), I tried again, debit unavailable again, so I decided to give up for the day with $500 still on SGC, unsuccessfully off loaded to BB.

But, I get home, 'confirm' the balance, find it is zero on that last card, validate the balances on GB, BB, Serve and everything matches my receipts as expected. 9 successful loads. 10 out of 10 complete unloads of SGC. No documentation for the missing unload.

One more very strange thing - when querying outstanding balance on SGC, the successful unloads name the WM by number. The one that I think should still have $500 balance but shows zero is different.

All the rest have a status like:
WAL-MART #3493 Purchase Original Sale ($500.00)

But the SGC that should have $500 on it has a status:
WAL-MART Wal-Mart Sto Purchase Original Sale ($500.00)

Very strange that it doesn't provide a store number. All the rest do.

'wait 10 days' is a bit nerve racking. I would LOVE to know the balance will be restored. But I don't see why it would.

But, I thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am at a loss.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by rmunson1
This is much bigger than an annoyance. hamokmonky gets it, understand my problem. I have 9 loads, 9 receipts, 9 +500 successful transactions. I have no load, no receipt, nothing but $500 lost on my last SGC.

How is this Simon's problem? Well, I cannot answer that. I have no clue who screwed up, but I am totally certain I did not.

The problem is - I had several timeout transactions. But, I know which SGC was used for those. After the timeout, I successfully unloaded THAT card into GB, BB, Serve.

I also had several 'debit unavailable' messages. For the first one of those, cashier said 'try again' - I did, with the same card, success, receipt, load 500, offload 500 from SGC, and so forth.

On the last of those ('debit unavailable' messages), I tried again, debit unavailable again, so I decided to give up for the day with $500 still on SGC, unsuccessfully off loaded to BB.

But, I get home, 'confirm' the balance, find it is zero on that last card, validate the balances on GB, BB, Serve and everything matches my receipts as expected. 9 successful loads. 10 out of 10 complete unloads of SGC. No documentation for the missing unload.

One more very strange thing - when querying outstanding balance on SGC, the successful unloads name the WM by number. The one that I think should still have $500 balance but shows zero is different.

All the rest have a status like:
WAL-MART #3493 Purchase Original Sale ($500.00)

But the SGC that should have $500 on it has a status:
WAL-MART Wal-Mart Sto Purchase Original Sale ($500.00)

Very strange that it doesn't provide a store number. All the rest do.

'wait 10 days' is a bit nerve racking. I would LOVE to know the balance will be restored. But I don't see why it would.

But, I thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am at a loss.
The alternative is to go back to walmart, tell them you were loading your ___, and that it timed out. Tell them it took the funds off the card but never loaded the other card. You can even mention the details about the different transactions showing differently on purchase history. They should be able to go pull the transaction data from the day before and figure it out. Make sure you talk to a manager. I had this happen once, but the funds returned within 24 hours. The manager assured me and even offered to write a signed note stating they would make things right if it didnt fix itself. It did fix itself, in a couple of hours. I caught it right as it happened, which made it a little bit easier, but be understanding and not panicked or irate and you will do just fine. This is one of the cases where involving a manager is generally a better idea than not, and if you are calm and collected and know what you are talking about, they will be willing to help you figure things out.

The reason I say wait 10 days is because prepaids usually take longer than normal debit accounts to be corrected. I think the actual official timeline is within 11 or 15 days, but I cant be 100% sure on that because mine have always returned before then.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, SWA, United, British Air, Jet Blue, Alaska
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
The alternative is to go back to walmart, tell them you were loading your ___, and that it timed out. Tell them it took the funds off the card but never loaded the other card. You can even mention the details about the different transactions showing differently on purchase history. They should be able to go pull the transaction data from the day before and figure it out. Make sure you talk to a manager. I had this happen once, but the funds returned within 24 hours. The manager assured me and even offered to write a signed note stating they would make things right if it didnt fix itself. It did fix itself, in a couple of hours. I caught it right as it happened, which made it a little bit easier, but be understanding and not panicked or irate and you will do just fine. This is one of the cases where involving a manager is generally a better idea than not, and if you are calm and collected and know what you are talking about, they will be willing to help you figure things out.

The reason I say wait 10 days is because prepaids usually take longer than normal debit accounts to be corrected. I think the actual official timeline is within 11 or 15 days, but I cant be 100% sure on that because mine have always returned before then.
Again, thanks for the coaching. That is why I posted, that is what I was seeking.

One problem with the WM where I am virtually certain it happened, I went to customer service (Tue, the day with no problem) and asked to load 1K onto BB, 2x500. I've seen him before. he recognized me. He said he can do 1K, but it can't be split. I said I have a 500 limit. He said 'what is it, a gift card?' I mumbled something and sort of showed him the debit part of the card, but he said those cannot be loaded onto BB.

I went away and successfully loaded at the cashiers on both Tue and Thur. Just that one hanging out there.

Another problem - heading to the airport in 30 min, so this will end up waiting until Tue next week.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:56 am

Again, thanks for the coaching. That is why I posted, that is what I was seeking.

One problem with the WM where I am virtually certain it happened, I went to customer service (Tue, the day with no problem) and asked to load 1K onto BB, 2x500. I've seen him before. he recognized me. He said he can do 1K, but it can't be split. I said I have a 500 limit. He said 'what is it, a gift card?' I mumbled something and sort of showed him the debit part of the card, but he said those cannot be loaded onto BB.

I went away and successfully loaded at the cashiers on both Tue and Thur. Just that one hanging out there.

Another problem - heading to the airport in 30 min, so this will end up waiting until Tue next week.
You should always carry a real debit card and just show them that. If you dont have one, show them a credit card with the bank name on it that is large and obvious. Also, as to your time issue, you may be out of luck dealing with wm if u wait that long. I fear it does not look good for you getting the funds returned unless its done so on its own.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:29 am

It sounds like the 2x500 method might be getting shut down soon according to some CSRs I talked to today (And this is my very lenient WM). I asked to load 1K per account and one asked how many cards I was using to load. She was surprised I was only using one card per account, mentioning most people loading 1K split 2x500. And mentioning people trying to use gift cards.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CBDTREE
It sounds like the 2x500 method might be getting shut down soon according to some CSRs I talked to today (And this is my very lenient WM). I asked to load 1K per account and one asked how many cards I was using to load. She was surprised I was only using one card per account, mentioning most people loading 1K split 2x500. And mentioning people trying to use gift cards.
The thing at least with the SMGCs is the scren says '..credit changed to debit..' w/o doing anything but swiping the GC and then inputting your Pin#, some employees wont let the transaction proceed once they see that, most only make sure the funds went thru. wonder if when using a MC that same wording pops up
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold
No more $1k Biz gift cards for me

Went to Simon Mall today to purchase som $1k biz gift cards. I was told that "some businesses were not allowed to purchase Business gift cards" I could only purchase the $500 personal gift cards. I didnt push it, but this doubles my costs from $3.95 per $1000 to $3.95x2 per $1,000. All good things come to an end.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
Went to Simon Mall today to purchase som $1k biz gift cards. I was told that "some businesses were not allowed to purchase Business gift cards" I could only purchase the $500 personal gift cards. I didnt push it, but this doubles my costs from $3.95 per $1000 to $3.95x2 per $1,000. All good things come to an end.
I bought 1k (2 x500) yesterday and they required me to fill the form. Isn't it 2.5k that trigger this form?
I asked them and they said if I did 1k, I would have to fill the form and if I did 2.5k, they would need manager approval.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbfanos
I bought 1k (2 x500) yesterday and they required me to fill the form. Isn't it 2.5k that trigger this form?
I asked them and they said if I did 1k, I would have to fill the form and if I did 2.5k, they would need manager approval.
Each location has their own rules and can do as they see fit. Ive hit max of $250 per GC and $1k total max per day. Total of $2500 per day. Some dont ask for any paper work no matter the amount others have thier own set amount

Basically if you dont like what they tell you , simply do as I did and thank them and walk away
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:19 pm
Suspended

I was told about a new program that some of you balance transfer/cash advance folks might be into: You can now buy $1000 Amex cards fee free via cash or check via the business program.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At my Simon mall today they had a slightly revised form and the clerk said the mall wanted her to give me one card holder for each card, but told me that if I left the bag of them somewhere by mistake, that would be OK. Near the end of the transaction, though, her superior came by and said she didn't really care and one holder would be enough. Apparently they are supplied with a card holder for each card.

The interesting thing, though, is that they offered me the option of pre-ordering the cards -- I could call in and they would start the process and then suspend the transaction until I showed up. I didn't feel like discussing the details right then, but I may ask about it next time.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
At my Simon mall today they had a slightly revised form and the clerk said the mall wanted her to give me one card holder for each card, but told me that if I left the bag of them somewhere by mistake, that would be OK. Near the end of the transaction, though, her superior came by and said she didn't really care and one holder would be enough. Apparently they are supplied with a card holder for each card.

The interesting thing, though, is that they offered me the option of pre-ordering the cards -- I could call in and they would start the process and then suspend the transaction until I showed up. I didn't feel like discussing the details right then, but I may ask about it next time.
This is something i have had the privilege of doing since the inception of the thread. Like mentioned up thread, the flow of volume might being helping Simon add some unexpected income.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
...The interesting thing, though, is that they offered me the option of pre-ordering the cards -- I could call in and they would start the process and then suspend the transaction until I showed up....
Originally Posted by MasterCharge
This is something i have had the privilege of doing since the inception of the thread. Like mentioned up thread, the flow of volume might being helping Simon add some unexpected income.
That's interesting. The Simon purchase I made on Jan 31, the lady said the same thing. I wonder if a corporate memo about pre-ordering went out. Perhaps Simon thinks their employees will be more efficient in processing cards during down times before a purchaser arrives (as compared to me hogging the desk for 5+ minutes as 19 cards are swiped).

My question: Has anyone been able to bring their SO's CC to Simon and be able to make two transactions? I'm thinking about trying it as the process takes 45 minutes round trip from my house and my wife only volunteers to go some of the time. Perhaps if I get denied, I'll ask if I can get extra forms so my wife can sign at home.

On another note, I made a Simon purchase on 2/07 where the guy who buys $10k every day makes his purchases. The friendly CSR told me that Simon is fully aware of us MS'ers and is making money and doesn't care. Said that's why they raised the price to $3.95 but it hasn't deterred MSers anyway. He could just be making all that up, but interesting him saying so.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
That's interesting. The Simon purchase I made on Jan 31, the lady said the same thing. I wonder if a corporate memo about pre-ordering went out. Perhaps Simon thinks their employees will be more efficient in processing cards during down times before a purchaser arrives (as compared to me hogging the desk for 5+ minutes as 19 cards are swiped).

My question: Has anyone been able to bring their SO's CC to Simon and be able to make two transactions? I'm thinking about trying it as the process takes 45 minutes round trip from my house and my wife only volunteers to go some of the time. Perhaps if I get denied, I'll ask if I can get extra forms so my wife can sign at home.

On another note, I made a Simon purchase on 2/07 where the guy who buys $10k every day makes his purchases. The friendly CSR told me that Simon is fully aware of us MS'ers and is making money and doesn't care. Said that's why they raised the price to $3.95 but it hasn't deterred MSers anyway. He could just be making all that up, but interesting him saying so.
If your simon's has "known" you, there is no problem to use your DW's cards. I routinely sign husband's purchases when he was verifying the cards with the receipts. Note you also need to sign the form in your DW's name as well.

Yes, it is no secret to Simon's what these cards are purchased for. I dont understand why there are still some who want "to fly under the radar". We are deer in the headlights, they know who we are but as long as you are a "trusted" customers, i.e. they never have a charge back from your cards, you are fine customer to them as this is very profitable to them.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:27 pm

Oh I know they don't have a problem using other people's CCs. I was wondering if I could get $10k x 2 without my wife being with me.

Agreed on "flying under the radar." If a guy has been buying $10k/day and Simon nor Citi has shut him down, there is no reason to fear hitting it hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.