Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jaewang
Agree! You just detailed out your personal cost, which is YMMV person to person. Regardless the liquidation method used (buying MOs or loading BB/Serve), the base cost is higher when comparing Simon vs Staples.

The spreadsheet is meant for newbies that want to buy $500 VGCs. Higher value GCs do not always translate to cost saving.
A few people tried to give me sh!t when I tabled out my particular situation during my learning mode...but when all's said and done, how I MS is by far the best situation for me, and that's what you have to remember...it'll be different for everyone. Just filter past the nonsense that some of these posters with "mightier than thou" attitudes spew because they think their way is better, and you'll be fine. The vast majority do provide info that will help you determine what will work best for you, and why.

What prompted me to post this is that I'm one of those with an Ink biz card...multiple, actually. And I only have 1 Serve card, by choice. I have multiple OSS's nearby that don't have a problem selling me 25 $200 VGC's in a single trip. I also have a fully functioning Kate that is literally right next door to my gym. I will gladly take the accumulation of 25,868 UR points/month at $0.00672/point with relative ease using these VGC's because all other avenues require much more work, or are beyond my comfort level.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaewang
Agree! You just detailed out your personal cost, which is YMMV person to person. Regardless the liquidation method used (buying MOs or loading BB/Serve), the base cost is higher when comparing Simon vs Staples.

The spreadsheet is meant for newbies that want to buy $500 VGCs. Higher value GCs do not always translate to cost saving.
In the single scenario you , for whatever reason, are fixated on.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
One thing I'll never understand is why new participants think they're the only ones to have to dig thru old material or figure things out on their own. There seems to be this perception that people who've been here for a while had it easy and it's only been recently that it's taken an amount of effort to get up to speed.

Guess what - everyone here had to do the same thing. We all had to read old material, we all had to use trial and error and we all had to get ourselves up to speed.
Yup. Do this all the time especially when confronting new issues. Why some of the new people think this is like a science book with formula? Not only things constantly change, but each location is unique. Where you are largely dictate what you can do and only experiments by doing it you would ever learn what works in your area and what does not.

Originally Posted by Lappie
+1

Reading the stuff is one thing, but people are scared to try. Its not that hard to buy a $25 gift card and try to convert for "testing purposes." If it works, go balls to the wall, if not, try another and use that $25 for groceries or gas.

People feel like they need to by a $500 card from the get go.
+111

I may also add, it also largely depends on one's ability to deduce information, and the methodology to keep the information organized.

To the newbies who do not have photo memory nor a strong analytical skills, when you are reading, you may want to use a note pad to copy/paste whatever important tidbits you come across, and later return to reread those - this way you would not be blindly shifting thru materials and then totally got confused of what you have read.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
Drove to Irving mall in Irving, TX today to purchase VISA Simon GCs. I was informed that anything over $500 needed a form to be filled out. I purchased 4x$500 cards and the fee was indeed higher at $3.95 each. They had plenty of cards and were very nice!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:40 am

I was using mostly my SPG CC on Simon mall, but now that I am seriously considering closing my Amex gold and opening a Preffered ED I see that I can get 1.5 on purchases in Simon mall on the Preferred ED . What are your favorite CC to Use at Simon?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, VA Silver, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by luchex
I was using mostly my SPG CC on Simon mall, but now that I am seriously considering closing my Amex gold and opening a Preffered ED I see that I can get 1.5 on purchases in Simon mall on the Preferred ED . What are your favorite CC to Use at Simon?
Preferred ED?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Hecta
Drove to Irving mall in Irving, TX today to purchase VISA Simon GCs. I was informed that anything over $500 needed a form to be filled out. I purchased 4x$500 cards and the fee was indeed higher at $3.95 each. They had plenty of cards and were very nice!

The same thing happened to me in Colorado, except they wouldn't tell me the amount that triggered the form. For those of you that haven't seen it, the form asks for you name, address, and DL number. I chose not the fill it out and didn't make a purchase yesterday.

Is everyone else just filling out the forms?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:41 am

Just an observation, but surprised many are still doing this since they no longer allow Amex GC. You only pay $1 more per $500 load at Wally World on Sunnies, and since you can use Amex GC, and even turn around and unload on the same trip, this is much better deal.

Just my two cents.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Just an observation, but surprised many are still doing this since they no longer allow Amex GC. You only pay $1 more per $500 load at Wally World on Sunnies, and since you can use Amex GC, and even turn around and unload on the same trip, this is much better deal.

Just my two cents.
I'm surprised many think it's an either/or situation
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
I'm surprised many think it's an either/or situation
Ha, ha, good point. $10k is enough for me per month to meet my needs, thus I don't need this, too, but your point is well taken.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by trubador
The same thing happened to me in Colorado, except they wouldn't tell me the amount that triggered the form. For those of you that haven't seen it, the form asks for you name, address, and DL number. I chose not the fill it out and didn't make a purchase yesterday.

Local Krogers wants to scan your DL for buying $200 worth of GCs. It doesn't seem like a big deal.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wbruce
Preferred ED?
I assume its the AMEX EveryDay Preferred card. You earn 1.5 after 30 transactions in a month
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trubador

Yeah I just filled it out after reading some people talk about it on here. Nothing to worry about. We aren't the ones they are after.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:50 am

SO and I have been filling out the form for months and don't mind. If a SAR is ever initiated, I have my VGC's and Bluebird records to prove I'm not kiting but using for legitimate expenses.

What I do mind is the daily limit of $3k. Galleria is not too far from my home but parking can be a PITA. Used to be able to get it all taken care of in a single trip.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan

Just my two cents.
It depends on one's locale.

Sunnies in my Wally World are hardcoded debit card or cash only at the POS. It also could only be bought one at a time.

There is no hassle at Simon's - all smile and laughter in and out in 10 min with split payments in however customer prefers. Do need to fill out form each time but daily amount allowed is intact. They are far more suspicious to those who dont want to fill out forms and keep buying sub 3K at this location. Those who do, after a few times, become "good people" on their internal records per the CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.