Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:21 pm

I went to my first simon mall tonight to buy vgc in so cal. I ask the employee, "do you have vgc?" He replied,"yes 5 for 500". I asked,"what is the limit?" He replied, "5 for 500." I didn't want to bother mentioning 10 daily limit. Bought 5 X 500.00. I guess he was used to msers asking and buying the max. I was hoping to purchase like 3k x 2 cc cuz it was like a 30 mins drive.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:23 pm

Side note. Since I was in a new area I visited a Vons. Bought 2 x 500.00 meta vgc. The cashier had to call the manager to see if it was ok. It was ok. While I was leaving. The bag girl said to the cashier,"there is this guy that buys 5 of these like every other day, and that manager told him we can't sell to him anymore" sounds like what happened to me at another vons.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosamo
I went to my first simon mall tonight to buy vgc in so cal. I ask the employee, "do you have vgc?" He replied,"yes 5 for 500". I asked,"what is the limit?" He replied, "5 for 500." I didn't want to bother mentioning 10 daily limit. Bought 5 X 500.00. I guess he was used to msers asking and buying the max. I was hoping to purchase like 3k x 2 cc cuz it was like a 30 mins drive.
As far as I know the limit for personal use is $10K per visit and $500 max on each card at all Simon malls. This works out to 19 - $500 GCs in practice because of the fees. Individual malls may have lower limits, of course, and I suppose a mall may nod and wink at the limit. At my mall they stick tight to it.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by XP1
"You can only load up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes."

"If you go over that limit, MCE will freeze, with the message 'Approval Needed', and a store manager will be notified (via their handset) to come fix the machine."

Source:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ys-broken.html
He reads many threads and blogs and he already knows this limit. However, he can't afford to lose .01 lol.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
In my area, max is 20 x $500 = $10k
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
As far as I know the limit for personal use is $10K per visit and $500 max on each card at all Simon malls. This works out to 19 - $500 GCs in practice because of the fees. Individual malls may have lower limits, of course, and I suppose a mall may nod and wink at the limit. At my mall they stick tight to it.
Limit for personal is $10k cards plus fees = $10,059. This is what I usually buy.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll try again another day and see if it's still 5 X 500.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtraveler
Limit for personal is $10k cards plus fees = $10,059. This is what I usually buy.
Interesting. My mall counts the fees within the $10,000.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:15 am

I've read that some malls even have smaller limits like $3k/day. That would be very time consuming to MS.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:03 am

Its the same with other retailers, some people will infer that the limit includes fees, some wont. Ex, office supply/other retailers who say you can only buy 2K without taking down information. Most of the times Ive encountered the people interpret that to mean 2K with fees, meaning only 9 $200 cards, but others will interpret it to be 10 $200 cards. Depends on whos running the show there....
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler
Next time, try a different register. I usually hit up a few registers when I'm loading $2,500 each on two BB cards.
I tried a different register, customer service, and a different Walmart. Denied every time.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I know it's no secret. Simon is in on the game. Which is why it's all the more important, in my opinion, that people don't push the limit and test their comfort level. But of course people will, and this will go the way of everything before it.
In many things, this is true. However, with Simon, I don't think it applies. SGC's have been available for over a decade, as they were one of the original gift cards with a CC logo. These were being used to buy illegal items over the internet for years, and since they weren't linked to your name, it was mostly untraceable. If they have been doing it for that long, I don't think a few MS guys are going to scare them away.

Remember this, though they do eat the fee's on these things, all it takes is one guy to lose/misplace his card and that is $500 that will end up in their bank account. It happens, and probably more than we think. I say push, and push hard. The short term risk is minimal, and you might miss out on a couple hundred thousand points if you fail to act.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by eltex
I say push, and push hard. The short term risk is minimal, and you might miss out on a couple hundred thousand points if you fail to act.
I agree, the challenge for me is liquidating these cards. There are only so many Walmarts around my area and I can't hit up the same Walmart too hard because they become suspicious and eventually ban gift cards. One Walmart I used to hit up hard recently banned GC's for money orders and billpay.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:58 pm

There are other ways deals die besides vendors becoming uncomfortable -- nothing lasts forever. I also think you overestimate the attention level of the companies involved in this.
What's there to overestimate? These guys are getting massive bumps on their revenue lines and they know where from. The front-line employees know what MS is and are mentioning it. So yes, the company knows what's up.

Regardless, hope this one keeps up for a while...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.