Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I had to phone to set the PIN for each card. I chose to use the last 4 digits of each card for ease in remembering it, but could equally have chosen a 4 digit string meaningful to me and set that for each card.
I also phone in to set PIN on all cards so no need to look at the card for the PIN but use the same PIN on everything.
I never need to set a PIN on these. Just use the last 4 numbers.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:16 pm

Isn't that is exactly what he needed, right now? Get that done quickly and he would have the 60 or 70K in hand, then do the remaining yearly earning whatever way he prefers to do. There are other ways than BB/Serve to liquidate your cards and $200 a piece is a PITA no matter whichever way you choose.
This is definitely a learning process for me. I wanted to try out $200 VGC's, at least initially, to see how comfortable I was at doing it, and figure out what the atmosphere was like for me locally. I could've driven around 15 miles each way to a Simon Outlet Mall to buy $9.5k in Simon VGC's, but wasn't even close to ready for that risk yet.

In any case, I'm done w/ my first non-online Serve load "experiment" as of tonight. My first Staples didn't even have $200 VGC's...not a big deal, as it was next to a Lowe's I was doing shopping at. Second Staples had tons of $200 VGC's, and there was a WM literally right next door. Didn't go crazy...just bought 4 VGC's and a pack of gum. Manager override indeed was needed, but no questions were asked at all. Went to my car, ripped open all 4, walked into WM, and that's when things got a big interesting. This WM is less than 2 yrs old, yet didn't have a Kate. A much older WM in my area does (no OSS close-by). But there were no lines at the cash registers, so I went to the first one and the lady was pretty clueless. Since I had never done it, I was a bit clueless, too, but it's not rocket science, and we got 2 $200 loads done w/o much issue. Instead of pushing my luck and trying to do the other 2 with her (my read on her may have just been my imagination), I walked to the other side of the store and went to another cashier w/ much more confidence. This is the weird part...this lady said that she was no longer allowed to do loads to a Serve card with a debit gift card as of a couple of wks ago. I have yet to read this anywhere. I said ok, no problem, went to customer service, and that rep loaded the last 2 for me no problem. I was done in 15 minutes.

Is this something I'll do regularly after this experience? Doubtful. I'm hoping Citi AA MC's stay eligible for online loads so I get that $3k over with during Nov/Dec/Jan (don't have ISIS available to me). There's a WM right next to my gym that has a Kate, and if it's a functional one, I'll stick with more $200 loads on my own in the short-term. If not, I'll switch over to Simons, but not go crazy (in the multiple thousands)...although floating wouldn't be a big deal. Maybe I'll change my mind about that. Basically, I still have to feel out the WM situation more re: the liquidation.

Thanks for the candid feedback.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by Chris92128
With only a $2.95 fee it's still pretty profitable on cards like arrival
And with the Navy FCU Flagship Rewards credit card giving a targeted promo of 4 pts/$ (basically 3% cash back) thru Dec 31, without limits, this can be very profitable!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dizcards
This is the weird part...this lady said that she was no longer allowed to do loads to a Serve card with a debit gift card as of a couple of wks ago. I have yet to read this anywhere.
Ugh.

You're not reading enough. Did you hand the cashier your card or something? Discretion is a good thing.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by voodoomonkey
Ugh.

You're not reading enough. Did you hand the cashier your card or something? Discretion is a good thing.
No, she blatantly asked me, "is that a debit or credit card?" I didn't lie to her. Do you lie to every cashier that inquires/challenges you, just walk away, or do something else?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:32 am

I also phone in to set PIN on all cards so no need to look at the card for the PIN but use the same PIN on everything.
Ditto, using the same meaningful pin month after month. No chance for someone getting hold of the card to just use last 4 digits nor are they likely to guess my personal PIN before I call to suspend. But then I'm pretty diligent about going from Simon straight to Kate to unload.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by voodoomonkey
Ugh.

At the stores that have stopped taking gift cards for MO's/Billpay, the Moneycenter cashier had asked to see the gift card before doing the transaction. Once they see it's a gift card, they refuse due to new policy at the store.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:34 am

No, she blatantly asked me, "is that a debit or credit card?" I didn't lie to her. Do you lie to every cashier that inquires/challenges you, just walk away, or do something else?
It is not a lie to tell her it is a debit card. It was your choice to insert the word gift in there.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
It is not a lie to tell her it is a debit card. It was your choice to insert the word gift in there.
She said I couldn't use ANY kind of debit card, including my personal one for my own bank. She was only willing to accept a credit card or cash.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:32 am

She said I couldn't use ANY kind of debit card, including my personal one for my own bank. She was only willing to accept a credit card or cash.
Shouldtake her up on that Credit card load to serve would be nice lol. She does understand that all debit cards can be used as credit right....
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Shouldtake her up on that Credit card load to serve would be nice lol. She does understand that all debit cards can be used as credit right....
Trust me, the thought crossed my mind, but she sounded so convincing and given it was only my 2nd attempt, I shied away from trying to call her out on it.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrediPig
I never need to set a PIN on these. Just use the last 4 numbers.
Nobody said it is "needed". Read more carefully next time.

It is just that some of us prefer to have the SAME PIN every time on every card without having to look at the card to know what PIN to use. To some this is a preferred method especially the WM folks are already on guard for GCs.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She was totally confused. I were you I would hand her a credit card and see what is her reaction.

You dont need to lie on anything - the prepaid card IS debit card, it even has the word debit above the logo Visa or Mastercard in 99% of the card designs.

That said, some stores have stopped taking prepaid debit cards altogether and only accept debit cards from real bank accounts.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:58 am

how do I set the pin?

I'm kidding... just love to read the same question over and over from people who are lazy to read...
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:26 am

She was totally confused. I were you I would hand her a credit card and see what is her reaction.

You dont need to lie on anything - the prepaid card IS debit card, it even has the word debit above the logo Visa or Mastercard in 99% of the card designs.

That said, some stores have stopped taking prepaid debit cards altogether and only accept debit cards from real bank accounts.
I'll be much more comfortable next time now that I have a couple of trips under my belt. And since I have what looks to be a new Kate that's functioning well right next to my gym, I'm going to go for the closest Simon Mall today and try some $500 loads (I've put a couple of "normal" charges on the cards as well). I will prefer the OSS's over these once my initial spend is met because I'd rather have a ton more miles/UR's (fully understanding the limited $ per point or mile rate)...or may transfer over to one of the Target options. Time will tell, but this is kinda fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.