Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:42 pm

Here's my story. I called (yes, I know the rule) the Simon mall that is 20 miles away to ask them the policy for purchasing gift cards. I asked specifically whether I could use an Amex gift card that did NOT have my name printed on it to purchase the GCs. The lady confirmed that I could do so, so of course I got her name and made sure I knew when she would be working. Called again the day that I planned on going and reminded her of our conversation. Drove down there with my kids in tow on their holiday so I could "quickly" pick up the cards. Of course everything took a long time, but I was able to purchase $10k in gc's w/my Amex gift cards with 3 employees helping me. The one who checked me out even went online to help me check my Amex GC balances because I didn't have the exact figure. I drove straight to Wal Mart (15 miles away) and fought the crowds to unload. The cards I tried were all declined. After spending a bit of time calling the 800 # to see why they weren't activated yet and then calling the mall, it turns out that the manager "caught" that the 3 employees let me purchase the GCs and so she voided the whole transaction. Didn't even notify me. What a huge hassle and I surely felt that if their employees made the mistake and allowed me to make the purchase, they should not have cancelled the transaction after the fact. Am I out of line for thinking that? Huge inconvenience and a waste of 3.5 hours of driving back and forth and of course having to bring my kids around doing that. I did not feel that the manager and her boss were overly apologetic about the whole situation.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: Several dozen
We get water, but no truffles over here. Where is the truffle mall? Seems it would be MSworthy to regift truffles to all my helpful tellers and clerks.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
You're shopping at the wrong mall then!

It seems like some of these locations still aren't seeing a huge volume of these for MS. A couple weeks ago I went to a location in a rather populous area, and the customer service person was like giving me the whole rundown on the features of the card, the up front fee, etc. etc. It was like she was excited to sell one of these, as opposed to my usual place where they're like "How many ya want today?"
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hhonors, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by kaiotes
Express lane is the self check out or the regular 10item or less register?
I have 3 walmarts near me (ok I live in the middle of nowhere nothing is 'near' me but I'm willing to drive to three...)

2 are fine on any register (except self checkout) 1 of them the 20 items or less lanes will NOT take these cards. So I just make sure to use the full lanes at that 1 walmart. Usually isn't an issue as I said I live in the middle of nowhere and the people with BIG orders usually let me go first since I just want to load one little card......
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by subdawg
Here's my story. I called (yes, I know the rule) the Simon mall that is 20 miles away to ask them the policy for purchasing gift cards. I asked specifically whether I could use an Amex gift card that did NOT have my name printed on it to purchase the GCs. The lady confirmed that I could do so, so of course I got her name and made sure I knew when she would be working. Called again the day that I planned on going and reminded her of our conversation. Drove down there with my kids in tow on their holiday so I could "quickly" pick up the cards. Of course everything took a long time, but I was able to purchase $10k in gc's w/my Amex gift cards with 3 employees helping me. The one who checked me out even went online to help me check my Amex GC balances because I didn't have the exact figure. I drove straight to Wal Mart (15 miles away) and fought the crowds to unload. The cards I tried were all declined. After spending a bit of time calling the 800 # to see why they weren't activated yet and then calling the mall, it turns out that the manager "caught" that the 3 employees let me purchase the GCs and so she voided the whole transaction. Didn't even notify me. What a huge hassle and I surely felt that if their employees made the mistake and allowed me to make the purchase, they should not have cancelled the transaction after the fact. Am I out of line for thinking that? Huge inconvenience and a waste of 3.5 hours of driving back and forth and of course having to bring my kids around doing that. I did not feel that the manager and her boss were overly apologetic about the whole situation.

No offense, but it kinda serves you right for asking if you could use an amex without your name on it. And tying up 3 employees to help you. And buying 10K at a time your first time there. Everything you did screams notice me. So they noticed you. And the manager asked. And they remembered the whole thing....
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
We get water, but no truffles over here. Where is the truffle mall? Seems it would be MSworthy to regift truffles to all my helpful tellers and clerks.
Probably a pretty long drive up I-95 for you...
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
No offense, but it kinda serves you right for asking if you could use an amex without your name on it. And tying up 3 employees to help you. And buying 10K at a time your first time there. Everything you did screams notice me. So they noticed you. And the manager asked. And they remembered the whole thing....
I agree, there is nothing discreet about this. I can see where this is all headed....ending up just like CVS banning the OV card purchases. Too many folks are abusing this so I would not be surprised at all if Simon makes further changes to restrict purchases, its just a matter of time.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by subdawg

Reminds me of that old saying, pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered..........
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:33 pm

Any datapoints on getting 5% with Citi Dividend MC at Simon?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:00 pm

haven't tried it personally, but others have reported no such luck.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I agree, there is nothing discreet about this. I can see where this is all headed....ending up just like CVS banning the OV card purchases. Too many folks are abusing this so I would not be surprised at all if Simon makes further changes to restrict purchases, its just a matter of time.
not until the holidays are over... but if they do then it will be better for the rest of us
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
I will say it again.. MS is not everyone.. If you cannot be discreet nor have the time.. open some ccs and be glad with a trip or two
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:04 pm

Simon mall gift card

With the old blue shutdowns, I unfortunately have to pursue other avenues. I used to be able to buy and liquidate 12k+ (And $0 in fees) in less than an hour at my go to place on a semi-weekly basis. So yes, I'm used to quick and easy money...and haven't gotten slaughtered yet. Just gotta adjust and go with the flow.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:04 am

If I buy the vgc from the simons website with the discover it card, would I get 5% back?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:21 am

Anyone having trouble loading Bluebird account with simon giftcard? I was able to do it three times then they started getting denied.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I drained several SM VGC at a WM cashier to my Serve card yesterday evening. Only one time the register spit out a timeout message, but a retry on the same card worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.