Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by thehogsters
How in the hell are you guys doing that much in mo? I thought to many mo would bring suspicion from the banks and Feds. I'm scared to do over 4k in mo in my bank. Do you have 10 bank accounts? Some other secret way to liquidate them?

I'm just a Padawan and have much to learn to be a MS Jedi Master like you fools.
It really depends on your relationship with the bank. My bank doesn't mind the large deposits of MO/cash. One time we did a $40k+ deposit of cash, they only said they had to report it but as long as you're not doing anything illegal, it's ok.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehogsters
How in the hell are you guys doing that much in mo? I thought to many mo would bring suspicion from the banks and Feds. I'm scared to do over 4k in mo in my bank. Do you have 10 bank accounts? Some other secret way to liquidate them?

I'm just a Padawan and have much to learn to be a MS Jedi Master like you fools.
Good, long-term relationship with my CU and a slow buildup in deposits, a WM that doesn't mind what we're doing plus friendly relationships with some of the cashiers there. Luck and patience.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:27 am

Like others, I have discovered my local CUs are tolerant of large MO deposits. The one I use even has shared branching that makes it very convinient to do transactions at various CUs that offer this service. IME, while it takes time to build a good reputation, it is well worth it to do business with CUs and small town banks minus hefty fees/charges.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:31 am

Well then since my cu let's me deposit mo in the atm I will ramp it up. Add that to the new FD opening one mile from the house (to feed serve) and it's going to be a very merry ms Christmas. Lol
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:24 pm

ok...my first money order purchase at walmart didn't go so well..first off I have been reading and reading...today I get my first 2 debit cards at Simon mall and proceed to Walmart (after shopping) and go to the service desk (it's not called the money center there) and ask if I can buy a money order for $1000 and I'd like to do a split payment...the cs lady didn't know what I was talking about and at that time a manager was walking by and she asked her and she didn't know either, arrg...she said let's try and I swipe the debit card and it didn't work...I said never mind I will do two separate money orders for $500 each. With that she asked to see my DL and debit card. I show her my real debit card and DL she looks at them and me and hands them back...Also I told her I'd like to pay the fee in cash...at this point she notices the gift cards in my hand ( that I thought I was hiding, apparently not good enough) and asked which was I using, I said this one, and showed her my real debit card (which my bank had to send us new cards so this one in my hand no longer valid). So now she is watching me when I am trying to get the $500 money so I swipe my 'dead' debit and of course it didn't go through and I told her I'd have to call the bank and left...ugh, what did I do wrong...

Actually this was my very first MS transaction I'd attempted...Do not have BB
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Originally Posted by sandie511

Start with getting a BB, number one tool for any ms'er. Next consider other stores that do money orders such as grocery stores and experiment with them.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:43 pm

ok...my first money order purchase at walmart didn't go so well..first off I have been reading and reading...today I get my first 2 debit cards at Simon mall and proceed to Walmart (after shopping) and go to the service desk (it's not called the money center there) and ask if I can buy a money order for $1000 and I'd like to do a split payment...the cs lady didn't know what I was talking about and at that time a manager was walking by and she asked her and she didn't know either, arrg...she said let's try and I swipe the debit card and it didn't work...I said never mind I will do two separate money orders for $500 each. With that she asked to see my DL and debit card. I show her my real debit card and DL she looks at them and me and hands them back...Also I told her I'd like to pay the fee in cash...at this point she notices the gift cards in my hand ( that I thought I was hiding, apparently not good enough) and asked which was I using, I said this one, and showed her my real debit card (which my bank had to send us new cards so this one in my hand no longer valid). So now she is watching me when I am trying to get the $500 money so I swipe my 'dead' debit and of course it didn't go through and I told her I'd have to call the bank and left...ugh, what did I do wrong...

I'm sorry to hear your first attempt to drain your SMVGC didn't go as planned buying MO. Be grateful for that 'dead' DC you have on hand that saved the day for you. It would have been a big issue if you tried to swipe the VGC and if you're not quick enough to press Change payment button, it'll definitely default to credit and she will probably call the manager on you. You did the right thing and didn't insist on doing another transaction. Cashiers who are already suspicious will make sure to look closely at cards you will swipe so it is best to avoid her at all cost next time you try.

I suggest you get either a BB or Serve card so you'll have a card to load VGCs.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:44 pm

ok...my first money order purchase at walmart didn't go so well..f
You should have tried something simpler first like a money order for 499.30 so you could have fee and MO on one card. Once comfortable with that get more complicated. Learn to walk before your run. Also right now with the holiday season you have a much higher likelihood of new employees which means keep things as simple as possible though xmas unless you know you have an experienced cashier.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:44 pm

ok thank you...I actually didn't want to ask for that amount because then they'd know what I may be up to or at least that is what I thought I read... read so much the last several months perhaps I confused that part.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I'm sorry to hear your first attempt to drain your SMVGC didn't go as planned buying MO. Be grateful for that 'dead' DC you have on hand that saved the day for you. It would have been a big issue if you tried to swipe the VGC and if you're not quick enough to press Change payment button, it'll definitely default to credit and she will probably call the manager on you. You did the right thing and didn't insist on doing another transaction. Cashiers who are already suspicious will make sure to look closely at cards you will swipe so it is best to avoid her at all cost next time you try.

I suggest you get either a BB or Serve card so you'll have a card to load VGCs.
hmmm...perhaps I didn't read enough...I thought the only payment they took was a debit card to purchase a money order....so unsure how/why it would default to credit...geeze I think I need to read a whole lot more...thank you for the response and I agree, was very happy I had/have the 'dead' DC on hand, and the date on it shows it is good for another year...I should have it down pat by then...lol
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:06 pm

hmmm...perhaps I didn't read enough...I thought the only payment they took was a debit card to purchase a money order....so unsure how/why it would default to credit...geeze I think I need to read a whole lot more...thanks for the response
You're correct, WM allows cash/debit for MO purchase BUT if you're paying with a giftcard visa/MC debit, it'll default to credit if you're not quick enough to press the change payment button so other payment modes will come up. Choose the ATM/DEBIT button so the PIN window appears and you can input your PIN. Then you will see APPROVED on screen and your MO prints.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
You're correct, WM allows cash/debit for MO purchase BUT if you're paying with a giftcard visa/MC debit, it'll default to credit if you're not quick enough to press the change payment button so other payment modes will come up. Choose the ATM/DEBIT button so the PIN window appears and you can input your PIN. Then you will see APPROVED on screen and your MO prints.
Thank you for that info...It's been several hours and hoping different people behind counter, so I'm going to head back there and try for a $499.30 money order...If it works tomorrow I will buy another with the other card I bought today. I just signed up for a BB account too so moving forward (and I get my card mailed to me) I also think it best to use that method...
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
hmmm...perhaps I didn't read enough...
Do your research. There's an entire other thread on using PINable prepaid debit cards.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
Do your research. There's an entire other thread on using PINable prepaid debit cards.
I can honestly say I have read 40+ hours on MS and it does get confusing...I'll be reading one page and it talks about such and such so I open another page and start reading there, then find more info on yet another page, before long I have over 10 pages/tabs open in flyer talk taking me in all different directions and find out after reading months of info, that procedure does not work any longer, so close that page out and continue...one has to remember those that have been doing this for years know all the ins and outs and when they learned it was not as difficult to get the concept as there were not as many road blocks, thus when new info arrives they have to process just that new info...while the newbie's have to process all the info and so much of it is old, and it sure makes it mystifying on what is going on at the moment...

For instance, you just posted there is an entire thread using pinable prepaid debit cards, I put a number of different options to search that... i.e, pinable card, prepaid cards, pinable debit cards, etc and came up with 7 different threads...not in the mood to figure which one 'might' be the correct thread...as I have searched for the right threads for weeks now...Thanks for the feedback tho...take care
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
I can honestly say I have read 40+ hours on MS and it does get confusing...
This is not an exact science.It's not like reading a textbook and then you know everything about that subject. Start small, do what you're comfy with. After a few weeks try to add another tool until you've figured out a way that works for you. Took me almost half a year of MSing with Visa Buxx and some of that simple stuff until I felt comfortable buying a GC in the nearby mall and load it to Serve card at the Walmart next door... And now they're changing the game again. C'est la vie...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.