Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmanZoe (Greece)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Am I the only one who likes the food at the Amans? Admittedly I haven't done Aman Europe and Aman in the Americas - or maybe I have different expectations of what I want for food when I'm on holiday.

Aman Bali, all 3, was absolutely excellent.
Amanpulo was very good, with some standout dishes.
Amanfayun - breakfast was a bit of a disappointment, but the dinner was a real highlight.
Aman India - the western options were a let down, but I'd rate the Indian options are fair on the whole with some standout dishes.
Have yet to make it to Zoe.
But we generally do enjoy our Aman meals .
AmanSP was sort of hit & miss when it first opened but by the time we re visited & stayed , it was quite amazing with arguably the best Peking duck in China .
Haven't returned to Gani but it was rather decent many years ago .
Puri ' s Japanese is now Nama which I did not try & the tapas lounge is now South American . The Italian & Thai are still ok as of last month & earlier this month .
Dari ' s meals were rather disappointing last month but with Shane overall in charge of Indonesia & new Italian chef Lorenzo at Nusa , things can only be up & up
Pulo too had good meals but have not returned this past year so cannot update yet .
No'i is pretty good , & since Joy is there with the team though not in her chef capacity , think it should continue to shine ..
With Sean in Sri Lanka , F & B should also be better sooner than later .
Enjoyed Jena ' s too & hoping to return to see the refurbishment .

Waiting to visit Aman SS & Aman CGV along with postponed Ruya ( many false starts ) & Zoe too .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 1, 2017 at 8:18 am
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:26 am

Amanzoe was not designed by Jean-Michel Gathy, but by Ed Tuttle - Amanresorts' original architect (Amanpuri, Amanjena etc). Nice report - thank you!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Amanzoe was not designed by Jean-Michel Gathy, but by Ed Tuttle - Amanresorts' original architect (Amanpuri, Amanjena etc). Nice report - thank you!
I don't know why I had a brain fart there.. yes indeed it is Ed Tuttle.. indeed I had gone on an Ed Tuttle streak as of late (Amanjena, PH Paris, PH Milan and now Amanzoe). Thanks for correcting my oversight.

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Have yet to make it to Zoe.
But we generally do enjoy our Aman meals .
AmanSP was sort of hit & miss when it first opened but by the time we re visited & stayed , it was quite amazing with arguably the best Peking duck in China .
Haven't returned to Gani but it was rather decent many years ago .
Puri ' s Japanese is now Nama which I did not try & the tapas lounge is now South Amercan . The Italian & Thai are still ok as of last month & earlier this month .
Dari ' s meals were rather disappointing last month but with Shane overall in charge of Indonesia & new Italian chef Lorenzo at Nusa , things can only be up & up
Pulo too had good meals but have not returned this past year so cannot update yet .
No'i is pretty good , & since Joy is there with the team though not in her chef capacity , think it should continue to shine ..
With Sean in Sri Lanka , F & B should also be better sooner than later .
Enjoyed Jena ' s too & hoping to return to see the refurbishment .

Waiting to visit Aman SS & Aman CGV along with postponed Ruya ( many false starts ) & Zoe too .
I found Amanjena's Japanese restaurant to be kind of limited. MAybe it had just opened but they only had like 4-5 fishes... I asked one day for Tamago (the egg omelet) and they didn't have it nor did it seem like the chef wanted to or could make it..

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Am I the only one who likes the food at the Amans? Admittedly I haven't done Aman Europe and Aman in the Americas - or maybe I have different expectations of what I want for food when I'm on holiday.

Aman Bali, all 3, was absolutely excellent.
Amanpulo was very good, with some standout dishes.
Amanfayun - breakfast was a bit of a disappointment, but the dinner was a real highlight.
Aman India - the western options were a let down, but I'd rate the Indian options are fair on the whole with some standout dishes.
Amanfayun seems to have a variety of dining choices, in excess of the actual size of the resort.. I agree with Aman Bali for sure ..

Originally Posted by aa213bb
We absolutely loved Amanzoe last year. I will say, I did take a spill on those treacherous bathroom steps (and stone cold sober, too!).

We found the food pretty great; admittedly, we almost exclusively try and eat the food of the country/region where we are, so all I can vouch for is the Greek cuisine ... but we enjoyed it. I'd kill for one of those Greek Salads from the pool restaurant right now. Or some of that rice pudding from breakfast.
I'm not quite sure why they felt the need to recess the shower and put steps in.. just plain dangerous.. I would definitely worry about slippage there, especially in the less able bodied...

The Greek cuisine was solid.. never tried the rice pudding.. wish I had...

FDW
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great details and photos!

just noticed centurion magazine says Villa 20 is owned by a "Swiss-based couple" and seems they are the ones who bought use of one of the beach cabanas

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm not quite sure why they felt the need to recess the shower
seems like it was for the bathtub?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 1, 2017 at 12:50 am
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:41 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great details and photos!

just noticed centurion magazine says Villa 20 is owned by a "Swiss-based couple" and seems they are the ones who bought use of one of the beach cabanas

seems like it was for the bathtub?
TY...

I feel like they could have kept the bath area all one level and done something differently with the tub/shower area..

FDW
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Shame to hear it's gone downhill, as I've actually found Amanzoe to be the best food I've had at an Aman. Definitely agree that food is not generally their strongest point.
For me the food at Amangiri was really poor. My best experience was this year at Aman Le Melezin. I'm impatient to try the new concept 'NAMA'...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:06 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
Really enjoyed reading your review as we are heading to Amanzoe for 4 nights in the beginning of May after 4 nights at Katikies in Santorini. Looks wonderful and very relaxing!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

amans especially depend on chef as well as GM
unfortunately lots of changes since 2014 especially
(lots of changes at yara and jena summer 2015)

giri had a good hire at same time >
Jacob Anaya became amangiri exec chef [summer 2015]
trojanman reported good private dinner with him at FS
end of this post - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25402971
bhrubin reported good private dinner with chef Aaron
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post24729085
I feel like they could have kept the bath area all one level and done something differently with the tub/shower area..
like a freestanding tub, i'd think lower cost as well
some of the villa bathrooms are not like pavilions

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 2, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:38 pm

Any promotions out there for early April? Website showing 850 EUR, 3rd night free might make the April weather worthwhile
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by chelsea2
Really enjoyed reading your review as we are heading to Amanzoe for 4 nights in the beginning of May after 4 nights at Katikies in Santorini. Looks wonderful and very relaxing!
That sounds like a nice trip. I wish we had had more time to spend in Greece but maybe one day..

like a freestanding tub, i'd think lower cost as well
some of the villa bathrooms are not like pavilions
I noticed that some of the villas had different bathrooms- I very much would prefer a freestanding tub but don't think if I've ever seen an Aman with one...

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Any promotions out there for early April? Website showing 850 EUR, 3rd night free might make the April weather worthwhile
Just the Essence, same package we had... I didn't see a third night free offer anywhere...

FDW
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:06 pm

But, you can do as I did and use a Citi Prestige and get a 4th Night free. That free night paid for the car several years over.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
But, you can do as I did and use a Citi Prestige and get a 4th Night free. That free night paid for the car several years over.
As did I... and that special runs year round!
and combines with other deals (see seasons of discovery at Amanyara)

fdw
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:52 pm

I noticed that some of the villas had different bathrooms- I very much would prefer a freestanding tub but don't think if I've ever seen an Aman with one...
I have to check but I think we stayed in several Alan's with freestanding bathtub: Sveti Stefan, Pulo, and to some extent Bagh.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:57 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I have to check but I think we stayed in several Alan's with freestanding bathtub: Sveti Stefan, Pulo, and to some extent Bagh.
Yep - Pulo has freestanding tubs in the casitas since the renovation (except maybe in some private villas where owners may have decided to keep the original?)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some freestanding >
jean michel gathy - sveti, yara, beijing, wana, some venice
ruya, wella, renovated pulo
some? galla, taka, dayan, kora, zoe/etc villas

zoe could still have done marble without lowering tub (like other aman) - steps partly form over function?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 30, 2017 at 12:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.