Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmanZoe (Greece)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:09 am

I think the UK government is currently recommending people take cash to pay for hotels etc in Greece. While this is OK for the average taverna or hotel, Amanzoe's rates are so high that one will need an additional suitcase or even an additional charter plane just to carry all that paper money.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:40 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think the UK government is currently recommending people take cash to pay for hotels etc in Greece. While this is OK for the average taverna or hotel, Amanzoe's rates are so high that one will need an additional suitcase or even an additional charter plane just to carry all that paper money.
Like the Chinese carrying weird suitcases who come to Hong Kong and buy apartments and houses in cash...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Perfect way to do money laundering...

I saw Russians being denied paying 95k of goods in cash at Hermes François 1er / George V in Paris.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:21 am
Aman Contributor Badge

AmanZoe is Open (Greece)

Zoe rates was prepaid and rest paid by credit card. No problem to pay with cc at Spetses and in Athens either.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:33 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I was just going over some details for our upcoming Greece trip and I don't see a service fee (usually 10%) for Amanzoe. Do they charge this? If not, how have you all handled tipping?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
I was just going over some details for our upcoming Greece trip and I don't see a service fee (usually 10%) for Amanzoe. Do they charge this? If not, how have you all handled tipping?
They do not have a service charge and leave it discretionary for when you check out. It's a nice touch and there is no pressure to leave anything, although I always have. I forgot about there being no service charge on our 3rd visit and paid the bill without adding anything and no one said anything or even hinted at it. I then went back to add something and they made it very clear I did not have to, but I wanted to as the service was so good.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
They do not have a service charge and leave it discretionary for when you check out. It's a nice touch and there is no pressure to leave anything, although I always have. I forgot about there being no service charge on our 3rd visit and paid the bill without adding anything and no one said anything or even hinted at it. I then went back to add something and they made it very clear I did not have to, but I wanted to as the service was so good.
Interesting. So is it like a blank line on the bill? Or a gratuity box at the front desk, LOL? How do they handle it?
Or maybe you have to decide on your own to leave an envelope like at other Amans????

Last edited by Ericka; Feb 18, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:35 pm

One more question....if we have to choose either Hydra or Spetses for a day trip, which should we choose and why? Consider our only other Greece experience will be Athens.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
I think that is a hard question. Generally, every time we visit Amanzoe, we tend to have dinner in Spetses almost every other night. I absolutely adore that place for an evening stroll and dinner.

For a daytime visit, however, I would probably choose Hydra. It is not that it offers that much more; they are both small islands with very few interesting sites/museums. There are some architectural sites of interest and they are both somewhat fascinating in the role they played in the formation of the modern Greek state (but would that make you want to visit a place?). So overall, in either case you visit just to see and take in the atmosphere of that place. In that sense Hydra wins - it is probably the prettier of the two and the museum is interesting from a laographic/historical perspective. It allows for nice walks, a museum visit or two and somewhat decent lunches.

Without meaning to take away from your original question, and if you are not doing this on your way down to Amanzoe from Athens, I would suggest you visit Mycenae, Eupidaurus and Nafplio. It is a far more interesting day trip than either Hydra or Spetses (and it includes some of the most fascinating archeological Greek sites).

Re tipping: I believe we used the envelope.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
I think that is a hard question. Generally, every time we visit Amanzoe, we tend to have dinner in Spetses almost every other night. I absolutely adore that place for an evening stroll and dinner.

For a daytime visit, however, I would probably choose Hydra. It is not that it offers that much more; they are both small islands with very few interesting sites/museums. There are some architectural sites of interest and they are both somewhat fascinating in the role they played in the formation of the modern Greek state (but would that make you want to visit a place?). So overall, in either case you visit just to see and take in the atmosphere of that place. In that sense Hydra wins - it is probably the prettier of the two and the museum is interesting from a laographic/historical perspective. It allows for nice walks, a museum visit or two and somewhat decent lunches.

Without meaning to take away from your original question, and if you are not doing this on your way down to Amanzoe from Athens, I would suggest you visit Mycenae, Eupidaurus and Nafplio. It is a far more interesting day trip than either Hydra or Spetses (and it includes some of the most fascinating archeological Greek sites).

Re tipping: I believe we used the envelope.
We'll be doing one of those other tours as well. We thought it would be fun to take our 4 year old out for a boat ride...hence the island side trip.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:30 am

Interesting. So is it like a blank line on the bill? Or a gratuity box at the front desk, LOL? How do they handle it?
Or maybe you have to decide on your own to leave an envelope like at other Amans????
They leave a letter on your desk the day you check out mentioning no service charge is included and if you want to add anything, you can ask. So when paying the final bill, I just ask if they can add something to the invoice, so I can pay it all in one go.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:07 am

We'll be doing one of those other tours as well. We thought it would be fun to take our 4 year old out for a boat ride...hence the island side trip.
Both are equally beautiful and worth visiting but I would recommend a boat trip to Hydra. Amanzoe organise a great half day trip on a very high end speed boat (I think its called the Wally and costs c1000 Euro). The boat picks you up at the beach, stops off in a few remote coves for swimming and then drops you in Hydra where there are a few charming spots for lunch. You can get to Spetses by short water taxi from the port which is only 10 minutes from Amanzoe. Visiting Hydra is not as easy so going there on a boat trip is a better option.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:24 am

Thanks for that info MacMyDay. If we decide to add something, that sounds like an easy way to do it.

Regarding Spetses and Hydra, we will be visiting in early May so ocean swimming is not likely. I suppose a beach picnic is possible.

Musken mentioned the sea conditions were rough when she was there. Anyone have a similar experience with the private boat to Spetses or Hydra? I certainly don't want to make the 4 year old sick. He's enjoyed lake boats before but did not do well in a helicopter.

Thank you for all your suggestions!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:27 pm

I stayed there last year and while the villas were nice, views great - I wasn't blown away with the service. Food could be better as well.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Thanks for that info MacMyDay. If we decide to add something, that sounds like an easy way to do it.

Regarding Spetses and Hydra, we will be visiting in early May so ocean swimming is not likely. I suppose a beach picnic is possible.

Musken mentioned the sea conditions were rough when she was there. Anyone have a similar experience with the private boat to Spetses or Hydra? I certainly don't want to make the 4 year old sick. He's enjoyed lake boats before but did not do well in a helicopter.

Thank you for all your suggestions!
We did not do the trip to Hydra with Aman's speedboat (indeed the Wally). To be fair, I found the price a bit much for what it offered.

I don't think that the waters are usually rough around the area (usually anyway).

We went to Hydra by taking a car and then a water taxi over to the island (all organised by Aman) which significantly cuts down the sea travel, so that may be an option for you (albeit not as luxurious as the speedboat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.