Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmanZoe (Greece)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
If Amanzo'e is too modern then so is the Parthenon.
I really feel sorry for the sterile souls who feel at home at a sterilized, soulless place like Amanzoe (or Ruya or Sveti or Venice or Jena).

Those fellows that I know personally, usually carry anti-germ lotions, moist wipes and breath sprays in their luggage.

To liken this concrete mikado with the Parthenon is like calling the Golden Arches (of McDonald's) a world heritage site.

But isn't the term 'Amanjunkie' in itself such a fateful contradiction?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
Anyone else have difficulty taking this person's posts seriously sometimes?
What you mean? My posts are always very serious and I have been in hundreds of Luxury resorts so I don't think this forum is the right place for criticizing my posts.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RodHK, your posting style seems different from when you were Amanaddicted

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Venice
try again >

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I've researched/published on the original construction/decoration (c. 1566) of the building (and the man who oversaw its construction, Alvise Cuccina) - and indeed, it was an amazing place to live, and work.

I'm very pleased that the family has decided to remain there, as it is actually quite consistent w/the original owners. The Cuccina family (incl. their 9 children) lived on the first piano nobile, and rented out the second piano nobile, as well as the attic space. You can see the family, and the palace (now hotel) in the famous painting by Paolo Veronese now in Dresden.
Originally Posted by bdemaria
historical integrity of the building. It remains the largest privately owned palace in the city, and one of very few that has had minimal modern renovations (the only significant structural change since the 16th century - the addition of Venice's first elevator, c. 1880 - which resulted in a re-orientation of the original staircase).
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
How different? I'm just trying to post what I know, what i loved from my trips and in an other way, I'm trying to get the informations I need to prepare upcoming trips.

try again >
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:21 am

try again >
I do notice a different style of writing and expressing too.

To RodHK : this is not a disparaging remark, just a keen observation .
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:11 pm

I really feel sorry for the sterile souls who feel at home at a sterilized, soulless place like Amanzoe (or Ruya or Sveti or Venice or Jena).

Those fellows that I know personally, usually carry anti-germ lotions, moist wipes and breath sprays in their luggage.

To liken this concrete mikado with the Parthenon is like calling the Golden Arches (of McDonald's) a world heritage site.

But isn't the term 'Amanjunkie' in itself such a fateful contradiction?
I keep forgetting that irony is not something that many here understand.

I love the idea of the golden arches being classed as a world heritage site - I can see that happening in the mid 21st Century - classed on a par with the headquarters of Monsanto.

However, you have obviously not acquainted yourself with many who have liked Aman over the years. Those I know, and I include myself, would never dream of using anti-germ lotions, moist wipes or breath sprays. Contemporary architecture is not necessarily something sanitised - it is merely a reflection of the Century that we live in.

Historic hotels can be extraordinary, but so can contemporary ones, which, if good, provide a picture frame for the past and its landscape. They can also enjoy a sense of whimsy, which Amanzo'e does.

The architectural follies of the past are now, on the whole, lauded, yet they were often ridiculed when they were built. Don't you think that Aman falls into that category? Amanpuri, back in 1988, was seen as a glorious aberration. Today it is a classic.

Just saying.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:48 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Those fellows that I know personally, usually carry anti-germ lotions
Yep, that's me. There is a 3 year old in my life (aka patient zero) that makes it a necessity.

Great report and photos, MacMyDay. Thank you!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:00 pm

I can understand your comment about Zoe, Ruya or Jena.
But Sveti Stefan and Canal Grande?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I can understand your comment about Zoe, Ruya or Jena.
But Sveti Stefan and Canal Grande?
Edgar Degas "Interior (The Rape)"

I keep forgetting that irony is not something that many here understand.
I love the wonderful irony in your word 'Amanjunkie'.

I love the idea of the golden arches being classed as a world heritage site ... on a par with the headquarters of Monsanto.
To be celebrated on McMayday.

Monsanto, Microsoft and Four Seasons. The trail leads to ... Bill Gates.
Genetically manufactured food. Generally manufactured abuse. Generically manufactured hotels.

But ... Doronin is eeevil

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; Jun 2, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RodHK
What you mean? My posts are always very serious and I have been in hundreds of Luxury resorts so I don't think this forum is the right place for criticizing my posts.
You just sound a bit like a DYKWIA and your posts are a bit useless and often contradictory.

Just finding it hard to take your posts seriously - you sound a bit like a teenager who's joined the wrong board.

I see you used a different handle before. Interesting.

Anway, I think Flyertalk has an 'ignore user' option so I will activate that.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Ericka
Yep, that's me. There is a 3 year old in my life (aka patient zero) that makes it a necessity.
A 2.5 year old here so count me in too
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
You just sound a bit like a DYKWIA and your posts are a bit useless and often contradictory.

Just finding it hard to take your posts seriously - you sound a bit like a teenager who's joined the wrong board.

I see you used a different handle before. Interesting.

Anway, I think Flyertalk has an 'ignore user' option so I will activate that.
You should personally post when you want to criticize somebody. I have probably a luxury hotels experience much more developed than yours.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:26 am

Why does every other thread have to get hijacked by the same few posters, whose comments seem to be designed with the single purpose in mind: to stir the pot? Certain users seem to initiate very rapid closures of threads.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Slightly changing the subject - does anyone have any good recos for alternatives to the sky high transfer prices from the airport? (Yes, I know its an order of magnitude less than the cost of a 7 night stay but still....)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by pauljeff
Slightly changing the subject - does anyone have any good recos for alternatives to the sky high transfer prices from the airport? (Yes, I know its an order of magnitude less than the cost of a 7 night stay but still....)
Rent a car :-) We've done it twice now and got a decent Mercedes with Avis via their Preferred Partner programme (via AMEX) for ~£200

You walk out of the airport, turn right, walk about 100 yards and Avis is there to collect the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.